Are 5 gallon pots really necessary with solo cup results like this?

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lamsbread

Lamsbread

When it comes to coco a 5 liter pot is plenty.
Here is a Fruitcake auto from Seedstockers, which they posted around on social media.
It was grown in an 8.5Liter pot!
So yeah I went a bit bigger,l as I didn't have any 5 Liter pots.

Note the same chair and radiator as the brown solo cups!!
8.5 Liter is under 2 gallons!
Grown in coco.
Under a 150W LED

Lamsbread

Lamsbread

After I reread it I noticed it’s not the op’s plants, but yeah looks like a black mold factory!
That corner by the radiator happen because i had a problem with the radiator, the only bit in the whole house! So not a mold factory and was sorted not long after the photo.
Plants were grow in an entirely different part of the house
You grow a better solo cup than me, then come with the saltyness!🤣
If you can't, keep the neg att to yourself!😜
You may also want to go to the end of this thread (post above actually), if you can grow a monster bud machine, better than mine, photographed in the same place, then again come with the saltyness!🤣
If you can't, keep the neg att to yourself!😜
Know what I'm saying.😉

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Resuraction thread... ok I'm gonna jump my ass into the 🔥 here.

Rootbound is not a thing... its a myth.... slight exaggeration.. only very very slight though 🤌 like that much exaggeration.

Ok ppls let me have it. 🤡 suit is on for fun debate.

Lamsbread

Lamsbread

Rootbound is not a thing... its a myth.... slight exaggeration.. only very very slight though 🤌 like that much exaggeration.

Are we going to have a sensible chat or it this going to go the way of "Row It Up"?
I'm not arguing the toss with anyone, I came here because someone used my pictures, of my solo cup grows.
I have nothing to prove, that was done for me by someone else.
If someone wants to bad mouth me, then they need to prove the have the grow skills to do so, otherwise no dice.
I'm happy to walk if people aren't respectful, I do enough in other forums not to care about upstarts.
seeing as my plants were shown, it seems maybe someone here likes what I do and I'm happy to share how.
Stoners need to stick together and respect each other, if you need to stick a middle finger up to anyone, then do it to the the man and the system!
These are all general-isms and they are not aimed at anyone in particular but they are aimed at everyone, so that we all know where and how we sit!

Nice to meet you @Aqua Man
To start at the beginning is always a good place to start.
Can you tell us how and why you have come to the conclusion you have?
I will be happy to show pictures of what a solid root mass looks like, in a well grown solo cup grow, when my next grow is done!
I did just look to see, if I had a picture of a solo cup root mass but alas I don't.
I will be receiving my comp seeds in the next week hopefully - Seedstockers Wedding Glue Auto.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on flushing, is that a myth too, some say it is???

Madbud

Madbud

Google rootbound, its a thing, saw it on facebook too.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Are we going to have a sensible chat or it this going to go the way of "Row It Up"?
I'm not arguing the toss with anyone, I came here because someone used my pictures, of my solo cup grows.
If someone wants to bad mouth me, then they need to prove the have the grow skills to do so, otherwise no dice.
I'm happy to walk if people aren't respectful, I do enough in other forums not to care about upstarts.
seeing as my plants were shown, it seems maybe someone here likes what I do and I'm happy to share how.
Stoners need to stick together and respect each other, if you need to stick a middle finger up to anyone, then do it to the the man and the system!
These are all general-isms and they are not aimed at anyone in particular but they are aimed at everyone, so that we all know where and how we sit!

I will be happy to show pictures of what a solid root mass looks like, in a well grown solo cup grow, when my next grow is done!
I did just look to see, if I had a picture of a solo cup root mass but alas I don't.
I will be receiving my comp seeds in the next week hopefully - Seedstockers Wedding Glue Auto.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on flushing, is that a myth too, some say it is???
This is not the site you named.

Of course it will be a legitimate discussion.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So rootbound is exactly what by definition?

Now there is a bit of a catch here. A plant will encourage root growth to attain more access to water and nutrients. In something like soil you grow in a bigger container due to the availability of nutrients and water.

Has anyone actually looked into the strength of roots? They will break through concrete if they have to. Has anyone seen a plastic pot literally burst from the pressure roots can exert? Because they will

So the very slight exception is the roots need to be able to absorb enough nutrients, water and o2.

Now in order to have this occur a large part depends on our ability to get enough nutrients, water and o2 to the roots to adequately supply the plants needs.

So in a dense soil it's difficult once they are a solid root mass that's trying to break out of the pots to do so. But in say coco with a constant drip feed or high fertigation it becomes a LOT easier and is done on thw regular.

Now aeroponics and hydroponics even more so... you can prune the roots to prevent them from overrunning the containers so long as the root mass is large enough to take up the necessary water, nutrients and o2. Nutrient concentration and o2 can be adjusted to further this.

Now one more element. You can add foliar feeding to reduce those demands even more.

So I'll say it again. Rootbound is a myth but has 🤏 truth to it and I may just call it 90% bioscience and 10% truth. Because rootbound is not the issue as long as you can supply them with enough water, nutes, and o2... and basically you can raise humidity, foliar feed and reduce those needs.

Let's call it the next overwatering... like rootbound overwatering is not a thing... its actually lack of o2.

Ok that's my best argument for now see what else this discussion brings and if it has atleast made ppl challenge the concept a little... maybe even just a touch?

DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

Rootbound is a true issue. Secondly ive grown a plant in a solo cup that grew about 2 foot tall, i had to water multiple times a day because it drank everything. Soon the plant wouldnt keep up and leaves started dying. So i dont recommend it. Roots are extremely important. Smallest i would go for flower is 3 gallons.

DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

Rootbound is an issue. You want to see it first hand. Take two clones from the same mother. Place one in a solo cup and another in a 1 gallon pot. Grow both for more then a few weeks. You will see the difference in plants. Plants health and size go hand in hand with root systems.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Rootbound is a true issue. Secondly ive grown a plant in a solo cup that grew about 2 foot tall, i had to water multiple times a day because it drank everything. Soon the plant wouldnt keep up and leaves started dying. So i dont recommend it. Roots are extremely important. Smallest i would go for flower is 3 gallons.
Interesting my last grow was 1 gal pots fed 14x a day.

The point I'm making is that rootbound is not as big of an issue as we commonly think and it has more to do with the ability to manage the media then the actual strangulation, compaction or space of roots. However you want to describe it.

I didn't say it's not real I'm saying in 99% of the claims of rootbound they are not trying to break out of the pots and if let go they absolutely will.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Rootbound is an issue. You want to see it first hand. Take two clones from the same mother. Place one in a solo cup and another in a 1 gallon pot. Grow both for more then a few weeks. You will see the difference in plants. Plants health and size go hand in hand with root systems.
So let's be a bit more specific because as we all know in cannabis there is no way one statement fits all.

Why do coco growers gro in small pots... how do you explain the results of RW cubes.

It's not a 1 size fits all like so many try to do in cannabis. So why is it that growing in soil generally requires a larger pot?

You see it's not the issue of rootbound but an issue of managing the media like I said in my controversial first post. These plants had to be fed 14x a day

I'm not saying it can't happen but I am saying that a plant truly rootbound I have yet to see.

Eg these roots were a bit over 3 weeks. Now I grew these plants out for 8 more weeks start to finish 1 gal pots.

1 litre cal mag for reference... my God was that plant cooked... I had a few drunken timer mishaps to boot

20210126 172634
20201201 134953
20201201 134953

20210101 190123
Last edited:
chemistry

chemistry

I was taught to match the pot to the size of the finished height of the plant/tree, as the taller they grow, the bigger the root ball they need to support it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just thought it would make for some good discussion. I'm pretty firm on my opinion that it's not actually a space issue but more of a management of the media issue... and more so than we thi k imo.

But I agree roots need to be abe to structurally support the plant but that's a different topic.

I just think sometimes thi has get repeated so much they become acceoted as fact when it's not quite the full truth.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

I just thought it would make for some good discussion. I'm pretty firm on my opinion that it's not actually a space issue but more of a management of the media issue... and more so than we thi k imo.

But I agree roots need to be abe to structurally support the plant but that's a different topic.

I just think sometimes thi has get repeated so much they become acceoted as fact when it's not quite the full truth.
Also seems there is a lot of accepted wisdom about growing which in soil is quite correct, but is then applied to coco as if they are equivalent. Seems to me that what we know about hydro puts the lie to the idea that what is true in soil is true literally anywhere else. It demonstrates your point that as long as you are supplying what the plant needs there are no hard rules. Interesting debate, as a noob.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

No opinion on the matter but found this interesting. Some scienticians done scienced some things. Their conclusion: in blind trials more people choose the non flushed, but it effectively makes no difference so you may as well flush because it will save you on nutrients.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also seems there is a lot of accepted wisdom about growing which in soil is quite correct, but is then applied to coco as if they are equivalent. Seems to me that what we know about hydro puts the lie to the idea that what is true in soil is true literally anywhere else. It demonstrates your point that as long as you are supplying what the plant needs there are no hard rules. Interesting debate, as a noob.
Exactly 👍 and thats marketing 101 in cannabis on top of this all.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry I missed this.

Ok I already listed the reasons why I feel rootbound is myth ( ok I know it's not a myth but chose the term for effect partially 🤏) just think it's tossed around to often and quite over exaggerated in most cases.

Now I have to kinda make the same argument to flushing. Is it beneficial? I would say it depends. If the media is high or has a build up then absolutely. But say in hydro near the end if the grow I just reduce my ppm to below 300.

My thoughts are the plant are photosynthesizing at a fraction of what they were development is pretty much complete and nutrients just aren't needed in near the quantities they were.

Flush or don't flush with a media already low in nutrients, I don't think will make much difference.

In a media that's high from heavy feeding as some do right to the end or have a buildup.. id say likely it would. Once the plant starts to ripen it happens fast so at that point I'd prefer to have a low ppm.

So in short I think flushing is beneficial but for more than just the reason we love to debate.

1.Why pump nutrients into a media that the plants not going to use?

2. Like that study shows (IF its the ine I read from Ontario) there is no significant difference measured under to conditions.

Want to be clear there "those conditions" so I just don't see a reason not to imo.

Top Bottom