Are all the name brand soils coming with bugs?

• Thread starter HappyTrailz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I've mentioned this before, why don't the soil companies use a recyclable material similar to potato sacks or Smart Pots instead of plastic? I'd pay more for a quality product and I know others would too!

there's a company in colorado that sells soil in recycled bags - pretty sure they sell it at whole foods as maxwells...they started a coco brand in the state called batch 64 that's pretty decent, also in recycled bags. Not sure if it's out of state yet.

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Organic soil and gnats are made for each other. If your outside, does it matter? If it bothers you that much, Triazicide as a soil drench for the chemical route. Only need to soak the first few inches of soil. Triazicide doesn't get absorbed through the roots. For simple organic remedy, sprinkle 1 inch of play sand over the soil. I've been using play sand for 5 years. Works great.
Gnats not so much... root aphids:banghead:
The sand won't help with aphids right? I'm considering getting some amended soil for about $100 a yard in chico seems pretty decent for the price.

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

Aphids in Roots Original........I don't think so. If you're getting aphids in all the soil your buying, it's probably not the soil....it's your grow environment. I have not had aphids once in the last 6 years of growing with store bought organic soils. I did give a clone to someone once.....he called me and told me his whole garden was infected with aphids and it was my clone that brought them in. I asked him how my other clones with the same soil here didn't have aphids.....he had no answer. I did. His grow is out in his garage and his garage is a filthy mess...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've mentioned this before, why don't the soil companies use a recyclable material similar to potato sacks or Smart Pots instead of plastic? I'd pay more for a quality product and I know others would too!
Well... considering how I received an order of worm castings, with the invoice tucked inside, I can see "recyclable" being a disaster in terms of shipping and keeping the soil IN the bags. I have no invoice, just pieces, it's almost all broken down by the microbes.

IIRC, SPs are made from a landscape fabric that does not break down at all, I'm not sure how recyclable it really is.

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

The hydrostore said FFOF was coming with aphids. I'm trying to avoid getting those things!

S

ssteely71

I know that several bags of FFOF I had last year were majorly infested with hynoaspsis miles bugs which are beneficial pests used to fight fungus gnats. Makes me pretty sure that FF added them to fight FGs in their soil.

Phoenix

Phoenix

PHI on Triazicide is 21 days. When the failsafe, non-chemical method of defeating fungus gnats has been found, I'll be in line for it! I've been working Cap's teas hard and *still* have enough fungus gnats to cause some autoflowering. It's completely depressing. Hopefully going outside will resolve the problem quickly, before anything else shows balls or hairs at 3" tall.

Here you go Seamaiden... works like A charm, like droppin' A "Nuke" on your Fungus Gnats...
I used to get Fungus Gnats occasionally in the Empire Builder indoor / outdoor soil that I prefer... Especially in warmer months because the bags are vented (small holes up the sides) It's now A Non Issue. I Just water once with this stuff @ A medium dosage as A preventative, Done Deal ;)

Gnatrol Biological Larvicide. Fungus gnat larvae don’t stand a chance.
Gnatrol is a highly selective, biological larvicide for use in greenhouses to control fungus gnat larvae. It may be used on a wide variety of ornamentals, as well as all bulb crops, bedding plants and vegetable sets. Once the larvae have ingested Gnatrol, they become paralyzed, stop feeding immediately and die—usually within 24 hours. Gnatrol is now available in a water dispersible granule (WDG) formulation that will not leave a residue and is easier to measure for increased application accuracy.

Gnatrol WDG is listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) for use in organic production. For more information on OMRI-listed products, visit

You can find it on Google... I just get it from Ebay :)

Last edited:
HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Probably because the soil they sold you has a better profit margin..
Normally i would agree with you on that... however it's a friend of the family and is what he uses. He said something about a shortage on soil and having to get dirt from a different location?? Not really sure who or what to believe. He's the same cat that recommended FFOF my fisrt run outside.

Phoenix

Phoenix

Ha! Think I haven't tried it yet, eh?

I tried more than A few also, haven't had any Fungus Gnats since Gnatrol... (3yrs. plus, Knock on Wood) Maybe multiple applications to break the life cycle? Gotta get all the eggs that hatch after gnats die before you stop the cycle and they do migrate but I'm sure you know that... Good Luck ;)

Fungus gnat

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I tried more than A few also, haven't had any Fungus Gnats since Gnatrol... (3yrs. plus, Knock on Wood) Maybe multiple applications to break the life cycle? Gotta get all the eggs that hatch after gnats die before you stop the cycle and they do migrate but I'm sure you know that... Good Luck ;)

View attachment 391960
Where I am it would be a constant battle. They're around whether or not I happen to have anything growing. I've used it for months at a time and found little relief. As we've been clearing property I've been finding areas where there are fungus gnats, just as I discovered that our toyon are spider mite hatcheries, so I've constantly got a fresh supply coming in.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

im starting to think that the infestation of bagged medium is possibly occurring at the major distribution centers. All that rich moist soil all together. Plus the bags are not sealed, so these little buggers are smelling good soil from a distance.

Another theory of mine is that these infestations are happening the worst in dryer climates. Im in cali and we are in a drought, thus killing off natural vegetation and turning top soil in to dry, undesirable homes for FG and RA. So in return, they are seeking for any good place to reproduce such as grows and even bagged soil...

just theories though.

wait! i got one better! - the govt is using chem trails to induce a drought hoping that these pest will target and destroy mmj gardens!!! lol..

urbanfog

urbanfog

just to ad, Have had no issues with "Dr.Earth" bagged soils, 2nd year using and I picked up 2 more bags yesterday to get it into my rubbermaid tubs, ready for uppotting. Never seen anything but nice lookin dirt with em :)

S

ssteely71

Last year I was using FFOF and I had a huge FungusGnat population suddenly manifest itself in my sealed garden. I was able to get control of them over the course of a week or so with Neem, sns209, and dunks. I began scoping the top of my soil and discovered that I also had a huge population of hynoaspsis miles bugs - which are beneficial bugs that feed on FG larvae . I am convinced that my FFOF came with the FGs AND that FFOF is using hynoaspis miles bugs to combat them. All my opinion of course.

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

just to ad, Have had no issues with "Dr.Earth" bagged soils, 2nd year using and I picked up 2 more bags yesterday to get it into my rubbermaid tubs, ready for uppotting. Never seen anything but nice lookin dirt with em :)
Where are you getting this? How big are the bags? From what i just googled, these bags are pricey and small?

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Yeah I Had The Same problem with fungal gnats in my ocean forest soil since I started using gnatrol no more gnats. No more ocean forest soil for me unless I cook it on my grill.

Top Bottom