Are bigger carbon filters better at removing smell?

• Thread starter sealab
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
No, you'll be fine. After the carbon filter there's much less smell if any at all and then if there's any wind then the tiny bit of smell is gone. The air coming out of my filter just smells like the charcoal in it, I think the smells must just be from the passive intake even though I have negative pressure. I just ordered this thing called ona and it's supposed to neutralize smell but I won't know for a while as I only just started this grow.
Whatever you do, don't get the grape smell if they still have it....omg the worst lol. That's some old school shit right there lol

Looks like it's "apple" now omg yuk lol

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Don’t use the ona blocks in the grow space. Plants will absorb the shit and that’s not good for the smoke. Nasty. Ona is for areas adjacent to the grow. Works great. I like fresh linen.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Idk I would think that carbon filters would have made this shit obsolete already. Maybe folks are using them wrong. I live in an apt with a roommate that doesn't know I'm growing in my room...using only carbon filters and the laws of physics.

Read that again. 👍

sealab

sealab

No, you'll be fine. After the carbon filter there's much less smell if any at all and then if there's any wind then the tiny bit of smell is gone. The air coming out of my filter just smells like the charcoal in it, I think the smells must just be from the passive intake even though I have negative pressure. I just ordered this thing called ona and it's supposed to neutralize smell but I won't know for a while as I only just started this grow.

Idk I would think that carbon filters would have made this shit obsolete already. Maybe folks are using them wrong. I live in an apt with a roommate that doesn't know I'm growing in my room...using only carbon filters and the laws of physics.

Read that again. 👍

That's reassuring, pleased to hear you fellas have such good results with the carbon filters.

PK_Blunt420

PK_Blunt420

Heres a link with some good info on it ive always trusted Can Fliter i was running the 75 with a 10inch can max throu 8 inch venting 20 feet with 2 90 bends in it had 60 plants in the room and never once smelt them out side of the room FAQs | Can-Filters

Pondracer

Pondracer

Thanks for the responses everyone. So I want a higher CFM on the filter than my fan is outputting?

6" AC infinity is 402 CFM, and the 6x16 phresh filter is 400 CFM
I run a similar system with different brands, but same capacity. Its vented into a subbasement area because like you its cold as hell right now. With a 5x9 tent there is zero smell. None.

sealab

sealab

I run a similar system with different brands, but same capacity. Its vented into a subbasement area because like you its cold as hell right now. With a 5x9 tent there is zero smell. None.
Are you having any problems venting the hot air in there? My concern with venting inside is that the humidity could cause some mold.

Heres a link with some good info on it ive always trusted Can Fliter i was running the 75 with a 10inch can max throu 8 inch venting 20 feet with 2 90 bends in it had 60 plants in the room and never once smelt them out side of the room FAQs | Can-Filters
Wow, 60 plants with no smell? That's very impressive

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Are you having any problems venting the hot air in there? My concern with venting inside is that the humidity could cause some mold.

Wow, 60 plants with no smell? That's very impressive
Oh there's smell...it's where that smell goes is the secret 👍

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
You will never eliminate the odor. You must CONTROL it and MOVE it. ❤🌱

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Vent outside. Always. You will be in RH/mold hell otherwise unless you have a $5000 dehumidifier in the room.

PK_Blunt420

PK_Blunt420

Vent outside. Always. You will be in RH/mold hell otherwise unless you have a $5000 dehumidifier in the room.
no you don't need to vent them outside i have friends that have them just free running in their rooms and that seems to help a lot if your running a vented system yes have it run out side but you could run a second one that's just free standing it'd even help air moment in your area and no 5000$ for a De Hu is way to much i used a 70 pint i got from Canadian tire for 350$ on sale normally it 470% and it supported my 60 plants no mold not mildew

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
no you don't need to vent them outside i have friends that have them just free running in their rooms and that seems to help a lot if your running a vented system yes have it run out side but you could run a second one that's just free standing it'd even help air moment in your area and no 5000$ for a De Hu is way to much i used a 70 pint i got from Canadian tire for 350$ on sale normally it 470% and it supported my 60 plants no mold not mildew
Yes, sorry for the sarcasm but I didn't exactly mean $5000. I too vent some smaller tents back into my lung Room but not the big flower tents. It's a very delicate dance tbh. 👍 Trying to simplify it is doing a great disservice to the big picture imo so I'll shut up now lol. ❤🌱

Gasman5.0

Gasman5.0

My advice is too get the biggest fan and filter you can fit comfortably within your grow room and dial it back with a speed controller. I live where it’s felony too grow so aroma is my number one concern with neighbors close by. I’m all sealed up for the most part and operate in a pure scrubbing mode only unlike most do I guess. I have a small 4x5x8’ gorilla grow room in a garage with two carbon filter setups.. one 4” and one 8” and my 8” setup cleans the air on the lowest setting whereas my 4” setup has too run 100% and it’s still not aroma free like the 8” is running on low during peak flowering with a room full of plants. Now the smell is only noticeable within a few feet with 4” but the with the 8” you can stand at rooms door and not detect any aroma. Also the 8 on low draws less amps than the 4” does running on high so that’s some data too consider before purchasing a fan from a cost operation.
57EC6F0C 8768 410C A3AB F67851CC79D6
prospective.

R

redshift75

you could just make an air scrubber using charcoal anything you can seal charcoal in and venting air through it continuously in the space. Cheap and more effective and way higher potential efficiency. inline filters work on the principle of surface area with efficiency over time in mind. If you need direct efficiency then going with a scrubber would be most ideal to counter smells. Multiple fans vented into the system could counter surface area with the increase in pressure. but more surface area will be less strain and higher efficiency for charcoal.

for 2 cheap furnace duct filters and a bag of activated charcoal some wood. Could make yourself a better scrubber for smell than anything you could ever buy for the same $$

Top Bottom