Are fem seeds and auto seeds the reason the weed market it watered down with good smelling and looking WEAK weed?

• Thread starter Edubz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Edubz

For a long long time I always wondered why the market was flooded with all this good looking, good smelling and some what good tasting bud that was weaker then some 1990s regular weed with sticks and stems

Now as I learn I start to see that there are these auto and fem seeds that, if I'm not misten have been GMOed with chemicals and have been processed , I'm correct?

is the only way to get true old school strong weed is to use male and female plants and do it old school? While the auto seeds seem great for a beginner like me,. something tells me it won't come out as strong as the regular weed seeds.

Something is tell me not to go with auto and fem seeds because my weed won't be strong

Now I could be wrong, but this is what my gut tells me,.am I wrong or right in my thinking?

josefrahl

josefrahl

I don't think so. I grow autos and everyone I give to says it's better than street or dispensary weed. Just growing practices. The other stuff is harvested early, dried fast, and cured poorly. Most seems to be sprayed with terpene mixes. As for comparing to old strains I believe it was all the breeding. We're just doing research on cannabis and finding more and more. Who knows what cannabinoids were bred out in the 'quest' for higher thc. If you can get your hands on stuff bred directly from landraces its still super potent, and usually under 20% for thc.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You are going to get differing opinions on this.

IMO... Fem seeds have the same potency as the parent. Auto is likely to be lower than the same photo because the way you get auto is to cross a photo with ruderalis which has no THC.

Fems are made by stressing a female photo plant and making it at least partially filp into a male. The pollen from the male parts do not contain the male chromosome. The resulting seeds are all female.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

For a long long time I always wondered why the market was flooded with all this good looking, good smelling and some what good tasting bud that was weaker then some 1990s regular weed with sticks and stems

Now as I learn I start to see that there are these auto and fem seeds that, if I'm not misten have been GMOed with chemicals and have been processed , I'm correct?

is the only way to get true old school strong weed is to use male and female plants and do it old school? While the auto seeds seem great for a beginner like me,. something tells me it won't come out as strong as the regular weed seeds.

Something is tell me not to go with auto and fem seeds because my weed won't be strong

Now I could be wrong, but this is what my gut tells me,.am I wrong or right in my thinking?
Interesting article.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

So I'll say this as someone new to the growing scene, but not so much on the consuming side of things.

I have no clue why this is the case, but everything I've purchased from a dispo has smelled wonderful, tasted amazing, smoked great, but doesn't really get you all that high. I've spent more than I care to admit trying "top shelf" and it was good.

Then I had my first grow. I wasn't super thrilled with the results, it didn't smell as aromatic as dispo products and certainly didn't look like it. Tried some of it right off the dry and was blown away by how hard it hit. I thought I had screwed up with how ugly the plants where, but these auto's I had grown were sending me. My next grow was better and hit harder, but still auto's. Finally my third grow of Photo's came to. It was my best grow yet and my first time with photos. Yeah, I haven't bought anything since I've started growing, and never will ever again. Now that I've started growing better genetics and started to really hone my technique and learn to grow in my conditions it's night and day. Not even comparable.

Yeah idk what commercial growers are growing, but it aint got anything on even ILGM auto's.

josefrahl

josefrahl

I have heard from people I trust that some dispensaries literally spray terp mixes on flowers at time of sale. Same bag a week later and the smell is a fraction of what it was.
This is what I was talking about in my earlier post. Yes they do. I know a young gal that works at one, and has admitted to it. Also my old 'dealer' does it now. Says it's the difference of selling a $20 bag for $40. This is why they smell so good w/o a proper cure. Just wait until they figure out the proper VSC's to get the skunk smell. Every dispensary will claim they have RKS, sell it at super premium, but with none of the original's high.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Prior to growing I thought it just lost flavor and smell over time because I can't store it right.

Mannnnnnnnn home grown just keeps getting better and better.

Will admit though, there are times where I'm like "I wanna get a little high, and not be slammed, time to bust out the corpo weed'.

josefrahl

josefrahl

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Prior to growing I thought it just lost flavor and smell over time because I can't store it right.

Mannnnnnnnn home grown just keeps getting better and better.

Will admit though, there are times where I'm like "I wanna get a little high, and not be slammed, time to bust out the corpo weed'.
I usually grow a CBD strain every 2 or 3 grows so I can just mix it if I want a lighter buzz.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

I usually grow a CBD strain every 2 or 3 grows so I can just mix it if I want a lighter buzz.
You have any recommendations for strains or breeders to look at for CBD? Had a friend grow some Harlequin and it was amazing. Super clean and clear high that left you relaxed but functioning. Sadly homeboy has no idea where he got the seed from and didn't take any clones.

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
Yes and No....but Genetically it should be no....Cause the Breeders would always be breeding for Potency 1st....I believe most flower to quickly and dont ripen or cure well..
So the market is been trained to force flower and then hurry up and process or Sell it asap....This is why Bud/Extract is weak....Its mostly the methods they use....not the genetics..
Spicoli/FOE20

Madmax

Madmax

So I'll say this as someone new to the growing scene, but not so much on the consuming side of things.

I have no clue why this is the case, but everything I've purchased from a dispo has smelled wonderful, tasted amazing, smoked great, but doesn't really get you all that high. I've spent more than I care to admit trying "top shelf" and it was good.

Then I had my first grow. I wasn't super thrilled with the results, it didn't smell as aromatic as dispo products and certainly didn't look like it. Tried some of it right off the dry and was blown away by how hard it hit. I thought I had screwed up with how ugly the plants where, but these auto's I had grown were sending me. My next grow was better and hit harder, but still auto's. Finally my third grow of Photo's came to. It was my best grow yet and my first time with photos. Yeah, I haven't bought anything since I've started growing, and never will ever again. Now that I've started growing better genetics and started to really hone my technique and learn to grow in my conditions it's night and day. Not even comparable.

Yeah idk what commercial growers are growing, but it aint got anything on even ILGM auto's.
Thats it ..your onto it 💪👍

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I have heard from people I trust that some dispensaries literally spray terp mixes on flowers at time of sale. Same bag a week later and the smell is a fraction of what it was.
In MI, it seems like most of the commercial growers pack the weed themselves now. The dispensaries can't get in there.

But believe me, great smelling dispensary weed is NOT A PROBLEM here in MI. My weed always smells better and seems fresher.

josefrahl

josefrahl

You have any recommendations for strains or breeders to look at for CBD? Had a friend grow some Harlequin and it was amazing. Super clean and clear high that left you relaxed but functioning. Sadly homeboy has no idea where he got the seed from and didn't take any clones.
I wouldn't say I've found any that are really great. They do their job of letting me function, lol. All 3 I've grown were from seedmans. Pink Kush cbd auto, Dr Seedman's cbd fem, and Purple Kush cbd auto.

The first 2 were under 1% THC/10+% CBD w/the Purp at 5 -10%THC/5% CbD, but it's genetics were unstable. The Purp was excellent smoke but took 6 seeds to get 1 viable plant. Kept getting plants that the cola would fuse with fan leaves, and would only grow fans after. So couldn't recommend it. The Pink is good mixed with just about any indica strain, but really nothing by itself besides the clear headed cbd buzz. Also the plants are very small, and not a good yield for 90days of work. The Dr. tastes like incense to me and doesn't mix well with most strains imo. Very strong CBD, but is hard to get over the taste. I'll use it just because I don't like wasting anything though, lol.

So yeah, still searching for a great one myself. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

C

chronic2

Not a botanist, only play one on the net. I have no clue the terms of auto, or fem. So the question would be, how do I count the leaf pattern? How do I watch it grow?
Ruderalis - 5 leaf count. This can be shown more at the bottom branches of the growth. It will show what is dominate by exposing it's main strain sort of.
Indica - 7 leaf count. This is where I saw one 7 (leaf) out of a ruderalis, siting low, w/big fat leafs showing who was dominate.
Sativa - 9 leaf count. Here is where you can see how it grows as a ruderalis, mimics the dominate growth of sativa, with branch growth gap from bud to bud.

Ruderalis - This is medial dispensary growth. Has either indi or sav choices in THC or CBD. More for the CBD use on the medial side.
Indica - This is for the couch potato, ah nice and relaxed...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Sativa - This is roll another one, I can drive all night.

Ruderalis - Can grow both strains showing the seeds from the same mother plant.
Indica - Grows like a punk. Tight crop up and down its main branch.
Sativa - Grows on it main branch with no growth, in between its bud dear roll.

I don't grow, it grows on it's own... on it's 3rd generation. Not to get stoned, bud for the pain of it. Have a medial license. So chronic in smoke, I can say the store bought is almost equal to the ruderalis I grow. I can smoke both, get zero effect. Then getting down to a certain level with the home grown, or fill up my container again, I take a hit of homie, it creeps up, gets me way to whack out there I don't want to go, blow it out and keep breathing for air just to get down from it. Instantly back to normal.

The good stuff - where you crush a piece of paper, throw it in the trash, sit down on the porcelain throne, stare into that now expanded paper, exposing animals, devil and clown faces, where do I find thatshit?

Moshmen

Moshmen

In MI, it seems like most of the commercial growers pack the weed themselves now. The dispensaries can't get in there.

But believe me, great smelling dispensary weed is NOT A PROBLEM here in MI. My weed always smells better and seems fresher.
Last time I was up I visited one with buds in a jar that they let you touch and look thru a jewelers loupe at the counter! Was the best I’ve ever had from a dispo from any state. I was surprised at the knowledge and quality . Mayb a one time thing ? Idk

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Not a botanist, only play one on the net. I have no clue the terms of auto, or fem. So the question would be, how do I count the leaf pattern? How do I watch it grow?
Ruderalis - 5 leaf count. This can be shown more at the bottom branches of the growth. It will show what is dominate by exposing it's main strain sort of.
Indica - 7 leaf count. This is where I saw one 7 (leaf) out of a ruderalis, siting low, w/big fat leafs showing who was dominate.
Sativa - 9 leaf count. Here is where you can see how it grows as a ruderalis, mimics the dominate growth of sativa, with branch growth gap from bud to bud.

Ruderalis - This is medial dispensary growth. Has either indi or sav choices in THC or CBD. More for the CBD use on the medial side.
Indica - This is for the couch potato, ah nice and relaxed...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Sativa - This is roll another one, I can drive all night.

Ruderalis - Can grow both strains showing the seeds from the same mother plant.
Indica - Grows like a punk. Tight crop up and down its main branch.
Sativa - Grows on it main branch with no growth, in between its bud dear roll.

I don't grow, it grows on it's own... on it's 3rd generation. Not to get stoned, bud for the pain of it. Have a medial license. So chronic in smoke, I can say the store bought is almost equal to the ruderalis I grow. I can smoke both, get zero effect. Then getting down to a certain level with the home grown, or fill up my container again, I take a hit of homie, it creeps up, gets me way to whack out there I don't want to go, blow it out and keep breathing for air just to get down from it. Instantly back to normal.

The good stuff - where you crush a piece of paper, throw it in the trash, sit down on the porcelain throne, stare into that now expanded paper, exposing animals, devil and clown faces, where do I find thatshit?
I'm trying to understand what you are saying here. First auto is autoflower meaning they flower regardless of light cycle. Hybrid with ruderalis. Fem is feminized, meaning all seeds produce females.

In terms of leaves, you kinda lost me. Cannabis starts with (typically) 3 blades, and as it matures might be 13. It's not an indica / sativa thing.

skipping ahead, the good stuff? I think you are looking for lsd.

Top Bottom