Are my clones gonna be alright?

• Thread starter Sams0n
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sams0n

Sams0n

First. I’m taking instruction from a friend of a friend who grows, and I’ve been watchin a few YouTube videos on cloning and i don’t think my leaves should be yellow on day 4, in a matter of hours.. none but one was yellow this morning. And that one was discolored going in.. I took the top of the dome off today for 15 minutes.. then barely cracked the vent. There wasn’t any roots yet, but I’m sure the leaves weren’t yellow either..

Are these yellow leaves normal, and what do they mean, in regards to the clone, where did those nutes in the leaves go?

I sterilized, cut correctly, and I used clone gelI. I also used rock wool cubes soaked them in Distilled water a very small amount of veg nutes, 1.05oz of this rootbuilder nute. PPM’s were good (I hope) around 375-400, but getting the ph back to 5.5 did put me at around 575ppm. I’ve been worried about that this whole time.
The temperature has been good except one night Day 2 for about 8 hrs it got in the mid 60’s. But heat Mat went in soon as I got it in the mail Day 3. The light is LED 20 watt full spectrum 1800 lumen.

Will they be alright and what do I need to do next. I can’t find relevant videos on what to do besides open the vents slowly. Do I need to resoak the cubes eventually? Come on somebody plz help me.

Are my clones gonna be alright
Are my clones gonna be alright 2
Are my clones gonna be alright 3
Are my clones gonna be alright 4
Are my clones gonna be alright 5
dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey Sam , is that digital reading your temperature ?
Or humidity ? Either way , it's too high
Snip off the yellow leaf

I don't use rock wool cubes , I prefer rapid rooters , which I keep moist , not wet .... So someone with experience in that dept can advise you , your clones look fine ,
They do look a little heat. And or humidity stressed ...
If you are home with the clones I would suggest just opening the lid and waving them over the tray to introduce fresh air , if you can do it 4 times a day for a min , that would be sufficient .....

Cloning can be nerve wracking , but yours look healthy enough to make it , might take 10 to 15 days to pop roots so don't get over anxious ...

Pull off all dying lower leaf to prevent rot or fungus issues

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Also , I wouldn't soak anything .....maybe spray the cubes with a hand mister until moisture reaches the bottom ,

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

This guy makes sense listen to him. And yeah don't be impatient with cloning it takes time. I use an aeroponic cloner and it still is two sometimes three weeks to get those nice big fishbones.

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Oh if you soaked them but haven't watered at all since then they are probably getting a little dry. Spray or pour water on but make sure the entire cube is moist.

Sams0n

Sams0n

Hey Sam , is that digital reading your temperature ?
Or humidity ? Either way , it's too high
Snip off the yellow leaf

I don't use rock wool cubes , I prefer rapid rooters , which I keep moist , not wet .... So someone with experience in that dept can advise you , your clones look fine ,
They do look a little heat. And or humidity stressed ...
If you are home with the clones I would suggest just opening the lid and waving them over the tray to introduce fresh air , if you can do it 4 times a day for a min , that would be sufficient .....

Cloning can be nerve wracking , but yours look healthy enough to make it , might take 10 to 15 days to pop roots so don't get over anxious ...

Pull off all dying lower leaf to prevent rot or fungus issues
Thank you.. The big number is my humidity. its been at about 85% to 99% this entire time temp been between 75 and 80. I will be snipping the yellow bottom leaves, and I'll also take the dome off 4X a day going forward.. How long Until I can go without the dome?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey Sam , let me put it to you this way .... I've been making clones for over 20 years , I'm still biting my nails with each clone session , it really depends on the health of the plant you are taking cuts from , and even that can be deceiving ,,, I mean the mother plant can be stressing and you didn't know it , or over fed with nutrients or dry and you didn't notice it , all looks good till you make or even worse receive cuts from strangers .... Those can have pests and all these issues translate directly into your fresh clones and how they perform

So don't be hard on yourself , I've fucked up entire trays of clones , even recently , for the reasons I've explained , and it gets even trickier , too humid with out fresh air exchange , problem , outside environment too dry , hot , cold , humid .....problems...
Clone dome and tray not super clean , problems , too much rooting hormone. , stressed stem cuts or scraping ......all need to be observed

On the other hand , many people including myself find healthy plants in our grow , snip off a bunch of clones, don't really pay attention to the rules , and bingo , roots busting out all over the place in 6 days .....it happens a lot

Also many plants or strains are " easy rooters " and that means they are going to give you an easy time without all the fuss and mothering , bang , just cut , dip , dome and roots , bullet proof ...

I just did a box , they didn't root for 3 to 4 weeks , it made me a bit tense , but under certain conditions that's what they did .... And a little slow to set up in the potting soil so it's been 5 weeks for a small clone to take .... I'm not worrying bout it ..

As far as taking the dome off , I'd typically start at day 4 , and the it off for 1//2 hour 3 times a day , then if they respond well take it off for an hour or two next day , then all day on next attempt , just keep a close eye on them , they can and will react to the new air , a little sad looking leaf is fine , they will perk up , but if they drop , then it's back into the dome and some recovery time ......
Just watch them , they are very responsive during this time ....
When you get the nerve and sense that they are ready , take the top off , the stress after a few days will kick the cuttings into survival mode , they will acclimate and start to burst out roots quickly to sustain life , that's the fun part ......just be careful with the plugs , not dry , but not soaking .....
Give the " rapid rooters" a try next round , i never fail with them and I think you will find them easier .....also , easy really easy on nute mixtures , the fresh roots can easily burn and slow you down or kill the fresh plants .....

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

In your case I think 6 or 7days take the dome off , but keep a careful eye on them ...

Day 7 , so you can start soon

Most people recommend day 2 , some don't even use a dome , just watch carefully and you will get a feel for it , trust your instincts .....

Keep in mind 90% humidity is not going to be good for a week though , do many frequent air exchanges as I said before , bring the humidity down , open the vents a crack

And try and bring that humidity down now by frequent air exchange like I explained before , the high humidity will slow down root growth or even worse , kill your clones
And watch the heat in your environment or lights , high humidity and excessive heat .....you dead

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Get some experience , after a while it's so easy you can do it with your eyes closed
Just keep in mind , some plants just love to bust out roots , some don't

And where you take your cuts from is going to make a big difference

Also never , never , trust anyone else cuts , I'm mean , sure use them , but keep in mind although they look great , they can be on the way to disaster before you even start them , and it's someonelse fault ....not yours , so keep that in mind when sharing or acquiring cuts ....

Top Bottom