Are My Days Long Enough To Continue Vegging Outside?

• Thread starter shades
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mancorn

mancorn

You say “continue”. How much light were they getting before? Because if they were getting 18 and you drop to 13 you’ll have problems (even though it’s not 12 or under).

shades

shades

You say “continue”. How much light were they getting before? Because if they were getting 18 and you drop to 13 you’ll have problems (even though it’s not 12 or under).

Can you elaborate on what kind of "problems" you are talking about?

I heard people step down the lighting over the course of a week or two an hour or half an hour each day before taking them outside but I read this was a pro technique and not really required just that it will yield better results.

They are on 18/6 in the veg room. I took the one Father plant outside because it started to die. Back in January they were doing much better in the closet but I haven't been able to defoliate them properly as they grew in their limited space. I finally took off all the dead leaves and I did take him outside, hopefully to continue vegging, although I guess I am fine with him flowering out (or dying if the poor lighting conditions in the veg closet weren't enough). Male flowers smoke better than tobacco which I'm trying to smoke less of. If I had a juicer I would probably throw him in there. I have another healthier male in the closet right now that has only 3 plants in it. All of them I had to do some defoliating to remove dead leaves. They all look like they are struggling (except for the other male it seems really virulent despite the less than optimal conditions. His genetics might be worth saving), but I think they are starting to bounce back after being defoliated. With 3 in my closet versus 4 there is enough light to keep them growing healthy. I don't think the other male will make it though, longer term, if I have to continue vegging him in there. I really don't know why I didn't just also take him out today. I would be doing much better with my lighting on just two plants instead of 4

For sure I have two males, and a single female. I'm not sure which of the other two are girls (or even if it's just one). I *finally* took successful cuttings from each one that are identified properly. One of them is struggling but I see the roots on it growing. Once I identify it I will know whether or not I want to keep it inside or take it outside. I'm going to bring the males outside, not because I need them to pollinate or continue genetics but because I just enjoy watching them grow in the sun even if he won't produce any potent nugs. I really just can't bear to destroy a living cannabis organism intentionally and on my own accord. I took two cuttings that were from the male plant outside as well, earlier today.

mancorn

mancorn

The plants will grow fine, but most likely flip to flower, then reveg for a couple months before flowering again. This is not optimal for most growers as it reduces yield and leaves you with a stunted bushy plant with smaller buds and numerous single or 3 blade leaves, which in turn make the plant more susceptible to molds and disease. For the vast majority of growers with an adequate growing season, it’s better to just start in early spring outdoors. That said you seem to have a very different goals then most growers, who don’t want males nor seeded buds. So if your primary goal is just keeping the plants alive, then sure, plants will certainly continue to grow if moved outside.

Top Bottom