Are my plants done?(noob)

• Thread starter Xan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Sun leaves are almost all dead , I think I will chop in 2 days.
I hope you're set up for drying. Not to mention all the trimming and jarring.

I find it easier to cut branches and hang instead of the whole plant and I remove almost all the leaves.

Dry in dark cool room, 60-70F with relative humidity between 60-70% for about 10 days, until branches break when bent.

Curing. Remove flowers from stem and trim the rest of the leaves from flowers. Place flowers in a glass jar with a lid that seals and keep in a dark cool spot. Open the jars every day for the first couple weeks for a minite or two while checking for mold then seal up again. You'll be glad you did.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Great explanation above! Just want to clarify. Jar when the bud stem breaks from being dry enough not the main branches.

Then when final trimmed and jarred its good to check the buds in 6-8 hours to see if they feel wet or dry. I wet remove and lay out or put in bottom of folded paper shopping bag a while till feel dry then jar again.

Burp or open jars once a day for a while to let out gassed produced by bacteria eating the chlorophyll. When they smell mild or sweet again close up for another day. Over time open less and less as needed. Once fully dry the cure is over. The longer the whole process takes the better the final product.

Thats the biggest reason other than chopping to early that commercial buds are lower quality. Rushing the steps for faster sale.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Most of your trichome is still clear, when it turns milky with Amber you can chop may bee a week or so, you fried you plant by overfeeding, autos need 1 10th of the nutrients a photoperiod needs. This is all Most done.

20190628 063854
Organikz

Organikz

Sun leaves are almost all dead , I think I will chop in 2 days.
Astounding. You have been very patient and it will pay off. I dont use scopes personally. Plants start screaming when they're ready. Full senescence, receded pistils, and fat juicy calyxes.

H

hawkman

Harvest just before the lights usually come on. This is because during exposure to light and heat terps break down and are replenished during the dark period. I leave mine in dark usually about 16 hrs due to convenience but I have found nothing to suggest longer is needed although I can't say it would hurt anything.

I also lower my temps for this reason for the last week of flower but I can't say if it makes any difference other than putting my mind at ease

When to lights come on the plants start to "up-take" which you don't want - Note" pull off" ALL fan leaves no - this is generally done 3-4 days before harvest - Many pull leaves and then give plant 2 days dark time to increase terpenes'

Organikz

Organikz

When to lights come on the plants start to "up-take" which you don't want - Note" pull off" ALL fan leaves no - this is generally done 3-4 days before harvest - Many pull leaves and then give plant 2 days dark time to increase terpenes'
You want terps? Molasses water. Not unsulfured. Sulfur will make those terps pop. Gypsum is another option. It's that sulfur. I've also heard potassium silicate helps but that doesnt apply if you've flushed.

Reactions: Xan
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yup that's what I was saying harvest just before the lights come on. It's not so much the nutrient uptake as it is the light will start to degrade/evaporate the Terps and over the dark period they are restored. I find a 12 hr period is adequate but as you suggested and depending on how much UV longer may be beneficial

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yup that's what I was saying harvest just before the lights come on. It's not so much the nutrient uptake as it is the light will start to degrade/evaporate the Terps and over the dark period they are restored. I find a 12 hr period is adequate but as you suggested and depending on how much UV longer may be beneficial

Harvesting before lights on keeps the starches mostly in the roots. Better for taste and smoothness. 24 hrs darkness is supposed to give time for all starches to go back down to the roots. This is in Ed Rosenthals grow book.

Also there is some trichome degradation from the lights. But we have noticed the flavor difference more than potency.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Harvesting before lights on keeps the starches mostly in the roots. Better for taste and smoothness. 24 hrs darkness is supposed to give time for all starches to go back down to the roots. This is in Ed Rosenthals grow book.

Also there is some trichome degradation from the lights. But we have noticed the flavor difference more than potency.

I guess it's something I have been doing to a degree and never noticed.

Thanks to both of you I have learned something new out of this. Much appreciated info guys.

Ace9137

Ace9137

You could harvest now, there is going to be no more bud growth. If you have sampled the flower and find it enjoyable and long lasting then your quest is complete and the need to start a new one has begun. Nutrients do store in the roots so it can assist in the draw of water from soil, suction as it is, which both nutrients and water broken down within the leaves and bud, even if you give pure water for the last four weeks, you will never remove all nutrients, more so, the plant is dying, it knows this and has went into overdrive consuming all sources within the medium. Now before you go by what Ed or George would do, consider this, "Is Ed and George apart of this grow?", If no, do not worry about what they would do. As far as light and trichomes, if you leave any plant in the dark it will stop development in leaf and flower. Trichomes form due to sugars within the plant, when trichomes become "amber", that is called oxidization, meaning said trich's degrade, which in turn means your plant is dying, you actually want to take your plant before that happens, or take it while there is some life left in it. When you harvest your plant, it IS still alive, hence cuttings or revegging. The important thing is that while alive it is still breaking down sugars, if you are worried about light, you really shouldn't, it is heat that should always be concerned about, why?, evaporation breaks down water, well, what is THC? or at least apart of it. These are things I have found out on my own over the years, it is a shame that myths still circulate, of course, you can skip over what I say, if you do, then just this bit of advice, the plant is ready when YOU say it is ready, feel your grow, be in tune with your plants, do not over care for them, give them what they need when they "tell" you, most of all experiment with other plants, learning botany even in an amateur sense is a wonderful and rewarding experience.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You could harvest now, there is going to be no more bud growth. If you have sampled the flower and find it enjoyable and long lasting then your quest is complete and the need to start a new one has begun. Nutrients do store in the roots so it can assist in the draw of water from soil, suction as it is, which both nutrients and water broken down within the leaves and bud, even if you give pure water for the last four weeks, you will never remove all nutrients, more so, the plant is dying, it knows this and has went into overdrive consuming all sources within the medium. Now before you go by what Ed or George would do, consider this, "Is Ed and George apart of this grow?", If no, do not worry about what they would do. As far as light and trichomes, if you leave any plant in the dark it will stop development in leaf and flower. Trichomes form due to sugars within the plant, when trichomes become "amber", that is called oxidization, meaning said trich's degrade, which in turn means your plant is dying, you actually want to take your plant before that happens, or take it while there is some life left in it. When you harvest your plant, it IS still alive, hence cuttings or revegging. The important thing is that while alive it is still breaking down sugars, if you are worried about light, you really shouldn't, it is heat that should always be concerned about, why?, evaporation breaks down water, well, what is THC? or at least apart of it. These are things I have found out on my own over the years, it is a shame that myths still circulate, of course, you can skip over what I say, if you do, then just this bit of advice, the plant is ready when YOU say it is ready, feel your grow, be in tune with your plants, do not over care for them, give them what they need when they "tell" you, most of all experiment with other plants, learning botany even in an amateur sense is a wonderful and rewarding experience.
Interesting opinion but leaves a few questions for me. The resin in the trichs is mostly oil based. Yes very little water content in it sure but mostly oil and the water is in the cell walls not the trichs glands. I agree heat is best avoided. Light degrades thca this is a well documented scientific fact. Even after the plant is dead. Light effects several compounds even after the plant is dead. Take some greenery and blend it up in water so the chlorophyll turns the water green then put it out in the sunlight. The reaction to sunlight will break down the chlorophyll in a few hrs turning it clear from green. This is why you don't store you weed in high light areas. Dry your weed under high light next time and let us know how that works out for you.

Trichs don't form because of sugars. They form because the genetics. They use sugars and other compounds to preform the task.

Leaving a plant in the dark will eventually stop plant processes. But the plant performs different processes in the dark and will continue to grows using up stored nutrients. Which is what I was talking about. The plants will Infact replenish trichs over the calvin cycle. Unless that's a myth too.

I see what I consider a lot of bad info in this.

I'm open to debate about this. Science changes but do you have any scientific sources on all these claims?

Ace9137

Ace9137

Interesting opinion but leaves a few questions for me. The resin in the trichs is mostly oil based. Yes very little water content in it sure but mostly oil and the water is in the cell walls not the trichs glands. I agree heat is best avoided. Light degrades thca this is a well documented scientific fact. Even after the plant is dead. Light effects several compounds even after the plant is dead. Take some greenery and blend it up in water so the chlorophyll turns the water green then put it out in the sunlight. The reaction to sunlight will break down the chlorophyll in a few hrs turning it clear from green. This is why you don't store you weed in high light areas. Dry your weed under high light next time and let us know how that works out for you.

Trichs don't form because of sugars. They form because the genetics. They use sugars and other compounds to preform the task.

Leaving a plant in the dark will eventually stop plant processes. But the plant performs different processes in the dark and will continue to grows using up stored nutrients. Which is what I was talking about. The plants will Infact replenish trichs over the calvin cycle. Unless that's a myth too.

I see what I consider a lot of bad info in this.

I'm open to debate about this. Science changes but do you have any scientific sources on all these claims?
Yes, it is called experience.
For some reason, just because oil is such, are you saying it can not evaporate? More so, claiming scientific fact does not make it so unless believed. So, what is Tetra-Hydro- cannibinol? If light degrades THCA, then why worry about light at all? I mean since after all, the plant is in the light it's whole life cycle.
Would trichomes form without the sugars within the plant? Of course it is in it's genetics to process the sugars to form the trichome.
Leaving a plant in the dark will eventually stop plant processes.
Yes, and of course there are other process, which, decline rapidly after every twenty four hours without light.
The reason trichomes form is to protect the moisture within the flower, to keep it from rotting immediately, and to shelter said seed until the flower slowly degrades.
Take some greenery and blend it up in water so the chlorophyll turns the water green then put it out in the sunlight. The reaction to sunlight will break down the chlorophyll in a few hrs turning it clear from green. This is why you don't store you weed in high light areas. Dry your weed under high light next time and let us know how that works out for you.
Actually, moisture can also break down chlorophyll, much slower of course, kind of why we dry it to a point and then cure it, I have stored my bud in a room that got frequent light, it just wasn't warm in there, the bud was fine.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Experience is not an explanation of how and why. A scientific fact is measurable and can be replicated. It has nothing to do if you believe it or not. Busy for the next few hrs but once I'm done I can go over your claims.

Anecdotal info is not scientific fact.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Experience is not an explanation of how and why. A scientific fact is measurable and can be replicated. It has nothing to do if you believe it or not. Busy for the next few hrs but once I'm done I can go over your claims.

Anecdotal info is not scientific fact.
The burden of your arrogance must be heavy.

Ace9137

Ace9137

I'm not the one that flew into this thread making outrageous unfounded claims saying everything is a myth except your "experience"
It seems you wish to argue for the sake of argument, more so you must have mistaken my comment as a personal attack, if so, then that is your hang up, not mine. More so, this was my advice to someone new, and not about you. Pretty sad when you offer help and somehow someones fragile little ego gets in the way, see now we are giving aqua man attention instead of Xan.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

For some reason, just because oil is such, are you saying it can not evaporate?
When you put a glass of oil out does it evaporate? I'm at a loss here. How do you think concentrates are made?
More so, claiming scientific fact does not make it so unless believed
A scientific fact is just that.. fact. It doesn't change if you believe it or not.

Would trichomes form without the sugars within the plant? it is in it's genetics to process the sugars to form the trichome.
This is your argument? The plant wouldn't even grow without the required nutrients. C'mon on now how far out to left field are we going?

So, what is Tetra-Hydro- cannibinol? If light degrades THCA, then why worry about light at all? I mean since after all, the plant is in the light it's whole life cycle.
No its not it goes through day and night cycles.

What kind of answer is this can you get any more extreme in your views?

Of course light degrades it just google it and look for scientific studies on it. Not your bro science bullshit.

The reason trichomes form is to protect the moisture within the flower, to keep it from rotting immediately, and to shelter said seed until the flower slowly degrades.
There are many reasons thought to why they produce trichs including the ability to catch pollen. I hardly believe it's for moisture content but hey I'm not going to say that's false cause I can't prove it no matter how unlikely

Actually, moisture can also break down chlorophyll, much slower of course, kind of why we dry it to a point and then cure it,
Moisture does not break it down lmao it's chemical reactions.

We dry and during that process oxidization breaks down the chlorophyll. We cure the bud to to slow down and stop this process. Oxidization also degrades thca over time. That's the whole dam point of curing.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It seems you wish to argue for the sake of argument, more so you must have mistaken my comment as a personal attack, if so, then that is your hang up, not mine. More so, this was my advice to someone new, and not about you. Pretty sad when you offer help and somehow someones fragile little ego gets in the way, see now we are giving aqua man attention instead of Xan.
Stop trying to deflect. We are giving Xan exactly that help by preventing you giving him bro science bs info.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The burden of your arrogance must be heavy.
I can admit when I am wrong just scroll up.

If you don't wanna man the fuck up and just name call to try to deflect that's up to you. I would say your the one with a fragile little ego. I have no problems Manning up and owning my mistakes

Top Bottom