Are my plants ready to harvest

• Thread starter Sanji
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sanji

Is this plant ready or almost ready to harvest? My magnifier is not the strongest but I can spot a few amber trichromes on a couple of the sugar leaves, not many though and only on a few of the leaves.

My concern is that my second plant is not ready(atleast 2-3 more weeks) and I had planned to use the same tent to dry the plants as my climate atm is very bad, 80% RH and due to certain circumstances I have to be stealthy aswell, how much does the quality of the buds really decrease by when you leave the plants for too long, if I left this first plant untill the second plant is ready and say all of the trichromes turned amber, how bad would it be in terms of THC content and smoke quality?

Sorry if I sound like a complete noob it's because I am.
20220322 193703
20220322 193652
20220322 193642
20220322 193627
20220322 193246
20220322 193423

S

Sanji

If I were you I would wait the few weeks and harvest together.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear, although it doesn't exactly answer my other questions, how will it affect the quality if the majority of the trichs turn amber?

Here is a pic highlighting some amber trichromes
20220322 193423

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

So what was the affect before? Was this a get up and go smoke, or a couch lock high?

if you google simple things like “affect or orange tricombes” you would earn a fountain of knowledge. You would learn that there is no ill affect immediately, that darkening trichombes are generally associated with an increase in the indica slackness and more head high. This will increase until a point of deminishing returns, when the THC starts to break down in your 14th to 16th week of flower. So unless you are going to run out that long you should be fine.

Hope that answered your question me lord.

S

Sanji

You want amber on the bud not the sugar leaves .
You have more time .
Awesome, my problem will still exist though once the first plant is ready, since the second is so far behind,

I'd still like someone to possibly answer my other questions about bud quality based on trichrome colors.

Thanks.

S

Sanji

H
So what was the affect before? Was this a get up and go smoke, or a couch lock high?

if you google simple things like “affect or orange tricombes” you would earn a fountain of knowledge. You would learn that there is no ill affect immediately, that darkening trichombes are generally associated with an increase in the indica slackness and more head high. This will increase until a point of deminishing returns, when the THC starts to break down in your 14th to 16th week of flower. So unless you are going to run out that long you should be fine.

Hope that answered your question me lord.
Aha sorry if I'm coming across as demanding or something, I understand the concept of what happens when trichromes change colors, my question was more about how much of an effect these things actually have, like they say there will be degradation of THC, but would I see a percentage drop of 1% THC after I see 50% amber or a drop of 50%, I'm more trying to say how exaggerated is it when they say your bud quality will drop when most trichromes turn amber

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Awesome, my problem will still exist though once the first plant is ready, since the second is so far behind,

I'd still like someone to possibly answer my other questions about bud quality based on trichrome colors.

Thanks.
That plant is weeks away from ripeness. The amber you are seeing is on leaves. Those trichs don't count.

Don't waste your time looking for amber when you have so many white stigmas. ALL those stigmas will be red and shriveled before you see an amber trich on flower parts, like the bracts. It will be at least 2 weeks before that happens, likely more.

S

Sanji

That plant is weeks away from ripeness. The amber you are seeing is on leaves. Those trichs don't count.

Don't waste your time looking for amber when you have so many white stigmas. ALL those stigmas will be red and shriveled before you see an amber trich on flower parts, like the bracts. It will be at least 2 weeks before that happens, likely more.
Ok well I will continue to keep an eye on it, everything I read online didnt specify that you shouldn't look ate trichromes on the sugar leaves, this is about week 5-6 of flower (autoflower) so I imagined it would be getting pretty close, around day 70 since they appeared from the soil.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Give a bit more time, when you flush out use cold tap water this will not hurt plants and help turn pistils, get a better glass or jewelers loup, when I see about 20% amber I know I will chop in 7 to ten days, give another dose of cold water so all your pistils will have turned, if all your trichome is milky you can chop but weed will go straight to your head, you want amber so you get a nice body high or at least I do.

20220206 144343
Habosabin

Habosabin

I agree. Not even close. The pistils are still white and haven't even retracted yet.

LivingBlackSoil

LivingBlackSoil

You began by saying that your plant is done. Then you said it was week 5-6 flower. Do autos do that? The plant pictured would benefit from 3 more weeks. I am concerned about the other plant you said is 2 weeks away, do you have pics? All that time energy and effort, would b a shame to short yourself.
IMG 20220319 193223
IMG 20220319 201514
IMG 20220320 231613
IMG 20220319 193223

There should be no white stigma/pistil. For reference these ladies are day 47 and I am doing my best impression of waiting patiently. Good luck
IMG 20220319 193230

S

Sanji

You began by saying that your plant is done. Then you said it was week 5-6 flower. Do autos do that? The plant pictured would benefit from 3 more weeks. I am concerned about the other plant you said is 2 weeks away, do you have pics? All that time energy and effort, would b a shame to short yourself.View attachment 1228526View attachment 1228524View attachment 1228525View attachment 1228526
There should be no white stigma/pistil. For reference these ladies are day 47 and I am doing my best impression of waiting patiently. Good luckView attachment 1228528
I did not say the plant is done, I asked if it is ready OR close to ready, as far as I know 8 weeks is about average for an autoflower although don't quote me as I am new to this, so at week 6 I'd assume it's getting close.

The second plant got stunted pretty bad I think due to nutrient lockout, I seemed to get it under control as the plant stopped getting worse and seemed to stabilise, I will post some pictures soon,

thanks for the input.

S

Sanji

I've only been growing about a year and half but grow 99% autos over photos. In my experience they always take 3-5 weeks longer to ripen than what the seedbanks
Yeah I remember reading that auto times can vary heaps, it's more an average I assume that they give

you remind me of a video I watched a few months ago where someone had an auto flowering for like 4 and a half months Or something like that so I guess 8 weeks could be way off lol

LivingBlackSoil

LivingBlackSoil

I did not say the plant is done, I asked if it is ready OR close to ready, as far as I know 8 weeks is about average for an autoflower although don't quote me as I am new to this, so at week 6 I'd assume it's getting close.

The second plant got stunted pretty bad I think due to nutrient lockout, I seemed to get it under control as the plant stopped getting worse and seemed to stabilise, I will post some pictures soon,

thanks for the input.
My bad, happy harvests!

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Thanks.
Basically it's supposed to amount to the difference we normally say is due to 'sativa' or 'indica'. That is, if you harvest early in the cycle, you'll get more sativa-like effects. More head high, more paranoia, less couchlock. If you leave the same strain alone for 2-4 more weeks and the trichomes go from 10% amber to 40%, you'll get a more indica stone with more couchlock and less energy.

S

Sanji

My bad, happy harvests!
Do you guys recommend that i keep feeding at this point or just go plain water for another couple of weeks untill harvest? But considering I may give it another 2-3 weeks on top for the other plant to harvest at the same time should I keep feeding along with the other plant?

Top Bottom