Are my seedlings dead?

• Thread starter agencare10
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
agencare10

agencare10

I put them under light immediately after germination bc I couldn't find a definitive answer as to what to do. They have been under light for a good 24 hours (I wanted to follow the 24-0 schedule). i now think I have killed them - thoughts? any way in reviving?

Are my seedlings dead
Are my seedlings dead 2
Are my seedlings dead 3
Are my seedlings dead 4
agencare10

agencare10

Also, any advice what to do at this stage? Do I cover them up with soil again to let them pop out? Leave them without lights for a while? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

agencare10

agencare10

the second picture, to me, it looked like the root had gotten significantly worse over night. I will wait it out and see and turn the lights back on.

agencare10

agencare10

any other suggestions with regards to recovering the seeds with soil, or should I just leave them directly under the light? Do they need any darkness?

agencare10

agencare10

Sorry to keep writing here, but I don't think they are fine...let me explain a few things:

1. I made a grow box out of wood,
2. they germinated perfectly
3. transfer from paper towel to 4 inch peat pot went well
4. Since then, they have been under LED light 24/0 since
5. Humidity is REALLY low in there about 41% so the soil dries up fast, which is why I keep spraying it, is that bad? I just put a damp towel in the box to incrase humidity
6. Should I cover with a dome?

I think its to late for them, I could be freaking out for no reason though.

Again, thanks in advance.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Darkness will cause them to stretch out, and I would recommend at least 4 hours of darkness. I think they will be OK, but sometimes they will stall after germination while they grow their roots... once thse are established the plant can grow with a better food supply. Patience is difficult, but unless thigs turn brown and are obviously dead, I'd keep them going. To me, the seeds look OK for this part of their lives. I often lightly cover newly planted seeds to keep the soil from drying out at the very top layer, but I'm only talking about a sprinkling of soil over the seedling. If it is already above ground, I'd let it go the way it is.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Just carefully use a toothpick to remove the seed shells, they want light and air!
I wouldn't mess with the seed shell as it is way too easy to damage the growing shoots. It should fall off by itself when it is ready. If it doesn't fall off on it's own, it is probably a bad seed. Roots and plants will split rocks, so splitting the shell open is pretty easy once te head starts to swell. FWIW, I had some seeds stay like this for a few weeks and I pulled them out, but noticed a decent root developing. I replanted it and it soon caught up to the others. Prying the seed off, however, is dangerous. After 30+ years of growing, I still can't remove the seed shell without screwing something up... even when it looks like it came off successfully. I invariably got twisted or damaged leaves which took weeks to outgrow... if ever. It's your call, but I would just let it go. If it is going to grow, it will do so without needing the shell removed.

DETtoPDX

DETtoPDX

I wouldn't mess with the seed shell as it is way too easy to damage the growing shoots. It should fall off by itself when it is ready. If it doesn't fall off on it's own, it is probably a bad seed. Roots and plants will split rocks, so splitting the shell open is pretty easy once te head starts to swell. FWIW, I had some seeds stay like this for a few weeks and I pulled them out, but noticed a decent root developing. I replanted it and it soon caught up to the others. Prying the seed off, however, is dangerous. After 30+ years of growing, I still can't remove the seed shell without screwing something up... even when it looks like it came off successfully. I invariably got twisted or damaged leaves which took weeks to outgrow... if ever. It's your call, but I would just let it go. If it is going to grow, it will do so without needing the shell removed.
I remove them all the time with no issues but maybe I am lucky

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey agen , if you can stay on top of them , i would mist a lot . Like every few hours to keep them fresh , it looks like your medium is drying up fast , what is it ? Pouring water on them might cause furthur problems , if you can keep your eyes on them ,they should be fine..... i wouldnt mess with pulling the seed shell off , not now anyway ....

agencare10

agencare10

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice!

What I have done so far was give it a reasonably good mist as the soil was definitely dry and unplugged the fan for the passive intake. I think it was just drawing in air too much and drying everything out. On top of that, I am giving it 4 hours of darkness, switching the schedule to 20/4 until some leaves show and maybe go back to 24/0. The soil does not seem to be drying up, but I will be keeping an eye on it and misting as dire wolf suggested.

The two indicas are growing and I can see the seeds splitting, one has already fallen off, so I'm not to worried about those two really, but the sativa's are still the same. Those one's were close to the intake hole so I wonder if they were drying up quicker?

The soil that is being used is promix organic vegetable herb and garden mix with mycoactive, its what I had around. Looked it up, seemed to be ok.

The grow box is made out of an old dresser, lined in mylar. The light has been taken off an aerogarden and it is a 30 wat LED grow light "high performance, energy effecient full spectrum". I used the aerogarden last year to start 2 plants and it went well, but how its shaped, it's not wasy to sit 4 plants under. I felt like the light would be strong enough to start 4 plants before bringing them outside.

The box is 29 x 14 x 36 and the fan purchased is 100CFM....which I realize is too much, but i didn't really want to wire a computer fan.

The goal of my box was to create somethin and pay as least amount of money as possible, while it still being decent of course.

ru knuts

ru knuts

Hey agen , if you can stay on top of them , i would mist a lot . Like every few hours to keep them fresh , it looks like your medium is drying up fast , what is it ? Pouring water on them might cause furthur problems , if you can keep your eyes on them ,they should be fine..... i wouldnt mess with pulling the seed shell off , not now anyway ....
Yes, keep the shell moist it will help the seedling shed the shell.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

I remove them all the time with no issues but maybe I am lucky
I've had to spray them with water & remove them few times too, 1 time I didnt plant deep enough, other few times the seeds were kinda runts but they are all fine. Made the mistake of leaving seed shell on once when it didnt come off by itself & seedling died. Id wait until its inch or so tall before doing that tho, they usually fall off before that with misting. Just my own personal experience tho

agencare10

agencare10

update! seedlings for the first and second picture look to be ok! Would anyone know why picture 2 is bending over? as for the other 2, the one looks to have a strong root and will recover, but the last picture looks like its done unfortunately. i will keep them going though and see how it goes.

shaganja

shaganja

Darkness will cause them to stretch out, and I would recommend at least 4 hours of darkness. I think they will be OK, but sometimes they will stall after germination while they grow their roots... once thse are established the plant can grow with a better food supply. Patience is difficult, but unless thigs turn brown and are obviously dead, I'd keep them going. To me, the seeds look OK for this part of their lives. I often lightly cover newly planted seeds to keep the soil from drying out at the very top layer, but I'm only talking about a sprinkling of soil over the seedling. If it is already above ground, I'd let it go the way it is.
Yes, give the babies some sleep time. Led for 24 hours is pretty intense for the babies. There just little kids not baby gladiators! Lol

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey Agen , yea , also , i didnt know that the plants were in peat pots .....
Thats why they are drying up at an incredible rate ...
Going to think about that one for a min

Clear plastic cup dome with pin holes in it might not be a bad idea....
Like formally said...

Also , next time , get a small bag of promix to start seeds , it will be much easier....

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Hey Agen , yea , also , i didnt know that the plants were in peat pots .....
Thats why they are drying up at an incredible rate ...
Going to think about that one for a min

Clear plastic cup dome with pin holes in it might not be a bad idea....
Like formally said...

Also , next time , get a small bag of promix to start seeds , it will be much easier....
They even have promix at walmart now, it's not hp but I've got some to try out. Seedling has chance still if you take time with dome

Top Bottom