Are pets incompatible with m. grow?

• Thread starter greenthumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenthumb

greenthumb

Someone who has grown a lot told me that having pets (cats and dogs) will surely bring pests and problems to your grow....
Well, our cat died a while back and I miss having animals around...want a dog or a cat again...
Didn't want to take one person's word for this, since I also love to grow, and am about to embark on my second indoor grow, (my first one went quite well and healthy * without pets*).

I'd like to get some input about this question from you all experienced growers on this wonderful forum about this matter.
Thanks,

straincreation

straincreation

Well i feel that if yoi have indoor pets you should be good i have a cat thats nosey as can be and he is with me when i go in the garden and i havent had pests.
Bringing an outdoor in then you may or may not have a problem. If you do, just keep um out of your grow room and be sure to change after playing with them and before going in your room. Other than that i and fellow growers had never had problems with my pets. If your a sloppy grower then pests IMO are inevitable. Keep your shit kleen and youl be ok.
Clean and green.
Happy farmin;)

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
I agree with strain. Ive never had issues with animals that never went outside causing issues. well cats that is. I never let the dogs near the grow cause they do have to go outside to use bathroom. should be fine. although cat hair in the buds could happen.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Someone who has grown a lot told me that having pets (cats and dogs) will surely bring pests and problems to your grow....
Well, our cat died a while back and I miss having animals around...want a dog or a cat again...
Didn't want to take one person's word for this, since I also love to grow, and am about to embark on my second indoor grow, (my first one went quite well and healthy * without pets*).

I'd like to get some input about this question from you all experienced growers on this wonderful forum about this matter.
Thanks,
Keep the cat an indoor cat, and get a hairless cat. They're NUTS! But sweet. Some smell kinda funky.

greenthumb

greenthumb

Keep the cat an indoor cat, and get a hairless cat. They're NUTS! But sweet. Some smell kinda funky.

I always had outdoor/indoor cats, they're much happier outdoors, and I love'm with long fluffy hairs! my last cat just about lived in the yard, and wouldn't even come up to the loft (shy and private, independent).
I think I want a doggie now......any suggestions about that? Can you walk a dog every day and then visit your girls indoors? — I do have an apron that I put on when I visit them.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

My pooch gets the sad face when I go to do some work and luckily doesn't like herb at all. I've always been advised against keeping pets near the grow even the hair alone (unless hairless) with all the frosty meds I can sometimes manifest equals no bueno. Definitly get another four legged Friend as they are awesome and good energy for sure.

greenthumb

greenthumb

My pooch gets the sad face when I go to do some work and luckily doesn't like herb at all. I've always been advised against keeping pets near the grow even the hair alone (unless hairless) with all the frosty meds I can sometimes manifest equals no bueno. Definitly get another four legged Friend as they are awesome and good energy for sure.

Yes, I love them!
So your girls did not get bugs because you play with your doggie friend before you go in there?

MrBanjo

MrBanjo

I've got all sorts of dogs, big yard. I don't let most of them in, because of the hair not the pests. Though pests can definitely be a problem, and animals can be the source, I haven't (knocks on wood) had an issue in 10 years.

The only pet that really is around my garden is my little sidekick a toy poodle, who doesn't shed and whose hair is hypoallergenic.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I always had outdoor/indoor cats, they're much happier outdoors, and I love'm with long fluffy hairs! my last cat just about lived in the yard, and wouldn't even come up to the loft (shy and private, independent).
I think I want a doggie now......any suggestions about that? Can you walk a dog every day and then visit your girls indoors? — I do have an apron that I put on when I visit them.
I can't make my cats stay inside (or my birds stay caged), either. Go ahead and get a cat, and have a set of "grow room" clothes that it can't touch. Same if you get a dog. Just be cognizant of how well you can help vector whatever they bring in from outside, and that because it's an indoor grow, the plants won't have the same "other" (birds, bugs, what have you) to help them fight off whatever may find its way inside, so you've got to go an almost sterile route, if not straight up sterile.

One thing I do, for example, is that I freeze my garden hat overnight after it's been worn. This will likely kill any spider mites (the more persistent problem I see on my property) and prevent me from vectoring them around my gardens. Little things like that can go a long way towards helping prevent becoming a vector. Shoes, many people have a pair that are JUST for the garden, I think this is a great idea especially if they're made of a material that can be washed, cleaned, sterilized even, such as Crocs.

greenthumb

greenthumb

I can't make my cats stay inside (or my birds stay caged), either. Go ahead and get a cat, and have a set of "grow room" clothes that it can't touch. Same if you get a dog. Just be cognizant of how well you can help vector whatever they bring in from outside, and that because it's an indoor grow, the plants won't have the same "other" (birds, bugs, what have you) to help them fight off whatever may find its way inside, so you've got to go an almost sterile route, if not straight up sterile.

One thing I do, for example, is that I freeze my garden hat overnight after it's been worn. This will likely kill any spider mites (the more persistent problem I see on my property) and prevent me from vectoring them around my gardens. Little things like that can go a long way towards helping prevent becoming a vector. Shoes, many people have a pair that are JUST for the garden, I think this is a great idea especially if they're made of a material that can be washed, cleaned, sterilized even, such as Crocs.

Thank you Sea! Yes, I think one has to be careful. My first indoor grow, I did go back and forth from my outside garden to the inside, but always wore an apron for the girls, and took my shoes off.
It seemed to work, they had no pests which pleased me, but I realize you have to be more careful with animals in the equation. I will definitely be even more careful..... I do miss having an animal around....they put us in touch with Love.

greenthumb

greenthumb

I've got all sorts of dogs, big yard. I don't let most of them in, because of the hair not the pests. Though pests can definitely be a problem, and animals can be the source, I haven't (knocks on wood) had an issue in 10 years.

The only pet that really is around my garden is my little sidekick a toy poodle, who doesn't shed and whose hair is hypoallergenic.

That is good news! thanks Mr.Banjo, it is reassuring that you haven't had a pest issue for 10 years! with dogs around! then it can be done!
What do you think about short-haired dogs? I would bring him in, but won't let him in the grow area. Would that work?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I have a dog and live in an high density urban area. He's all indoors except to go do his business on a small patch of grass. I don't let him near any bushes and I treat the grass area with cap's foliar once a month at night. He doesn't go in my garden since I use tents but he's goes into the room the tents are in and I've not had any issues with pests besides fungus gnats. Get a dog! Best of luck.

greenthumb

greenthumb

I have a dog and live in an high density urban area. He's all indoors except to go do his business on a small patch of grass. I don't let him near any bushes and I treat the grass area with cap's foliar once a month at night. He doesn't go in my garden since I use tents but he's goes into the room the tents are in and I've not had any issues with pests besides fungus gnats. Get a dog! Best of luck. View attachment 445121

Thanks ShroomKing! All this makes me happy! There are people here who have pets and grow an m.m. garden indoors! hooray. Thanks for your encouragement. And I will be careful.
(hope you walk your pooch too)...

Top Bottom