Are These Male Preflowers?

• Thread starter Bameron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bameron

My plant is about 1 month old now and I'm noticing 2 small balls, are they male preflowers?

Are these male preflowers
dannyk892009

dannyk892009

Looks to be. Can you add a couple more clear pictures for confirmation?

dannyk892009

dannyk892009

I'd give it a week or so. It's still a little difficult to see.

plm

plm

Are you growing from clone? If so, a clone is the exact genetic image of the mother plant it came from, so if the mother had any health issues, the cutting will also suffer. A plant can go hermie if you shock it into flowering mode, it's a survival measure. Anyway, it's just calyxes if the pistils are growing out of them, but if no pistils grow out, then they are pollen sacks. Hope this clears some things out. Good vibes your way bro in search for your girls.

B

Bameron

Are you growing from clone? If so, a clone is the exact genetic image of the mother plant it came from, so if the mother had any health issues, the cutting will also suffer. A plant can go hermie if you shock it into flowering mode, it's a survival measure. Anyway, it's just calyxes if the pistils are growing out of them, but if no pistils grow out, then they are pollen sacks. Hope this clears some things out. Good vibes your way bro in search for your girls.
Thwnk you. But could it be too early bto tell?

plm

plm

Usually I can determine sex on my plants after a month from seed, but that's just my plants, maybe yours have different genetics, different rate of growth, as I said in my previous post, if you are growing from a clone and the mother plant may have suffered some issues such as stumped growth, forced early into flowering which caused shock or others factors of stress, the cutting as well may have inherited some of those problems (turning hermie on you is one of them) so you may have to wait a bit more, my advice is to give it 1-2 weeks tops, when the sexual organs may have fully developed by then and will truly reveal its sex. Good luck.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

@plm
You cant tell male from female until after you flip to 12 12. Just looking at a plant will NOT tell sex before flip. Please don't post false statements. Newbie growers may heed your false advise.

Dewd

Dewd

@plm
You cant tell male from female until after you flip to 12 12. Just looking at a plant will NOT tell sex before flip. Please don't post false statements. Newbie growers may heed your false advise.
Shit that's good to know. I've been throwing away plants that seem to have male preflowers flowers. I posted a pic on here last week of what I thought were male preflowers flowers and got yelled at because I didn't know what a male flower looked like before it went into 12/12. Lol Thank you very much demontrich! From now on before I listen to someone I will make them show a pic of their herb. If it dont look as good as yours I'm not listening hehe :)

plm

plm

@DemonTrich That isn't entirely false... Talking from personal experience and what I've seen at others' plants, at the beginning of the vegetative stage you usually can't tell what the plant's gender is, However, once the plant is about 5- 6 weeks old (depends on the strain), it will usually show signs of "pre-flowers" BEFORE the flip to 12/12 which will alert you to the gender before the beginning of the flowering stage otherwise you must wait for the flowering stage.

dannyk892009

dannyk892009

My blueberry ko kush strain will show preflowers at about 1 month into veg. Males 8 out of 10 times, show first. My back yard babies are just starting to show. Front yard lady showed about a month and half ago and barely started flowering close to 2 weeks ago.

Toaster79

Toaster79

@plm

Plant reaches sexual maturity after 4-8 weeks from sprouting independent of light cycle. In some cases it may happen that plant will not show sex under 18/6 light cycle and the flowering needs to be induced to determine sex. But that is no rule and such cases are rare. Never happened to me that plant wouldn't show sex after being old enough. So please stop spreading misinformation.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

So your telling me i don't need to sex any of my reg seeds, just veg them out? Goes against everything I've learned in the 5+yrs I've been growing.

Toaster79

Toaster79

So your telling me i don't need to sex any of my reg seeds, just veg them out? Goes against everything I've learned in the 5+yrs I've been growing.

C'mon man, i thought you'd know better. This are basics.

dannyk892009

dannyk892009

I've done outdoor grows since 2007 and have had no ability to force sex by switching to 12/12. All were from seed and never used light deprivation. They've always shown preflower long before flowering was initiated and males most times gave it up first. Not saying you're wrong just speaking on my experience.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
@plm
Not true, I sex all my seed start plants during veg between weeks 5-8 from sprout under 20/4 hrs lighting, have never had to put one in 12/12 lighting to determine sex. Been doing it this way for 20+ yrs.

B

Bameron

@plm
So I switched to 12/12 they're growing but I can tell if it's male or female, what do you think?
Plant reaches sexual maturity after 4-8 weeks from sprouting independent of light cycle. In some cases it may happen that plant will not show sex under 18/6 light cycle and the flowering needs to be induced to determine sex. But that is no rule and such cases are rare. Never happened to me that plant wouldn't show sex after being old enough. So please stop spreading misinformation.
So I've switched from 18/6 to 12/12 and they have grown but I still can't tell. What do you think my plants gender is based off what you see?

IMG 20170725 144824
IMG 20170725 144748
IMG 20170725 144707
IMG 20170725 144705
plm

plm

It is common and basic knowledge that some plants due to their genetics and the way they are bred can build pre flowers into the growth period, that's a non-debatable fact, it's like 1+1 = 2

@Bameron Judging from your photos, all I can see are the usual stipules which mostly females posses they act as protection for the bud site until pre-flowers form, in rare cases males can have those also, however I cannot see any calyxes (bud), in my eye those are pollen sacks, so that means male.

Top Bottom