Are these plants too close together??

• Thread starter Hanta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hanta

Hanta

I'm thinking these are going to get crowded.... Any ideas if I should transplant these to somewhere with a bit more room? I don't have much room. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Are these plants too close together
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I'm thinking these are going to get crowded.... Any ideas if I should transplant these to somewhere with a bit more room? I don't have much room. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
What an awesome problem. Keep them trimmed below, don't top. They'll still look like one giant plant. Air flow could be a problem, keep them trimmed where they grow together. Other wise transplant into buckets. Donut shops usually sell old food grade for $1.

Keep us posted. This should be a fun and interesting grow.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
It’s gonna be tight in a month. Watch for PM issues and like plumber said it’s a good problem to have and his advice is sound!

BigCube

BigCube

If you want any real size from your plants then yes. They are far too close to each other. If you are sog or scrog then it doesn't matter. When planting outdoor I always go for size. So i wouldn't plant 2 plants any closer than like 10 feet apart.

There is no real "too close" I terms of the plant growing and flowering. But if you are wanting decent yield of any one plant, I wouldn't get any closer than 1.5 ft (18 inches).

mancorn

mancorn

Oh yeah you're packed in there alright! I like to have 360 degree access to the plants, so not a fan of your middle row. Sometimes you have no choice and you'll see a lot of backyard growers with plants up against a fence, but it makes it impossible to fully inspect the plants which leds to mold/mildew/pest issues. Not sure if you can successfully replant your current set up (especially if they've been growing at this site from the get go ). They all look nice and bushy, so guessing they've been topped already. Don't do any more top pruning! Next year (if you have any extra room on the long sides) think about expanding the layout, but with two narrower raised beds (with a center walkway) and then doing just 3-4 plants per bed.

Hanta

Hanta

Oh yeah you're packed in there alright! I like to have 360 degree access to the plants, so not a fan of your middle row. Sometimes you have no choice and you'll see a lot of backyard growers with plants up against a fence, but it makes it impossible to fully inspect the plants which leds to mold/mildew/pest issues. Not sure if you can successfully replant your current set up (especially if they've been growing at this site from the get go ). They all look nice and bushy, so guessing they've been topped already. Don't do any more top pruning! Next year (if you have any extra room on the long sides) think about expanding the layout, but with two narrower raised beds (with a center walkway) and then doing just 3-4 plants per bed.
Thank you and everyone for your input! Yeah these were clones planted straight into this soil. No hardening off done I prob shoulda but didnt want to deal with shuffling pots around and I didnt know better. I COULD take them out (maybe, idk how hard the roots are in there, def in there very good). I topped them once and then the ones on perimeter are all 45 degrees bended away from the middle. Im just cleaning out all the bottom growth now. I realize I should've done that earlier before all these shoots came up to the top.

B

BIGDEALZ

Yes, for what you are trying to accomplish, they are. One adult plant should take up about the space that 4 of your current small plant do. Move and transplant everything in the center-middle row and then every other plant starting with the second one in both remaining rows. That means that 9 plants will need to be transplanted for a happy harvest.

Hanta

Hanta

Yes, for what you are trying to accomplish, they are. One adult plant should take up about the space that 4 of your current small plant do. Move and transplant everything in the center-middle row and then every other plant starting with the second one in both remaining rows. That means that 9 plants will need to be transplanted for a happy harvest.

How important would you say moving them is? Lots of people have told me its ok to leave them just dont top and trim the lower growth. What would you say my top issues would be?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

How important would you say moving them is? Lots of people have told me its ok to leave them just dont top and trim the lower growth. What would you say my top issues would be?
I hate moving them once they've been in the ground for more than a few weeks. More than a month and that's were they're staying but that's just me. I know others who are great at translating, I'm not one. Up to you, just be gentle if you do and do it at dusk or later. Water a few hours before but don't make mud. Move only one to see how it goes.

I like what you have there and wish I had another open box for clones. A hedge of weed, works for me.đź‘Ť

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Honestly? Take out every other plant, completely. Yield is a function of square footage. Those plants, this big at this time of year, can grow to six feet wide if you know what you're doing. Which you kinda don't, or you'd know that, right? ;-) . But if you removed every other plant, the remaining plants will fill the space, give you bigger buds, and probably very close to the same yield. if not more.
Leave them all, and the understory is going to be complete larf bud, pain in the ass to trim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom