Are these ready for flower? 6 weeks. Lots of defoliation and training

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
How often do you take your plants outside and then back into the tent? I’d stop doing that before you bring in some unwanted friends. Scope for pests, just to be safe, since they’ve been outside.
burnz

CF89

CF89

Outside the house or outside the tent?

they never go outside. Only once for a sunlight pic for you guys.

they come out of the tent every 2-3 days. Usually for waterings or when I’m bored and want to clean them up a little.

glad to hear they’re doing better. Still not perfect though.
And I must admit. I havnt looked deeply into pest control even though we confirmed I had “bad bugs” in the tent.... I havnt found any more bugs since and they don’t seem to be doing considerable damage or getting worse. At all. Last time I tried to kill the bugs I almost killed the plants so I’m a little gun shy now. I caused way more damage than the aphids/thrips did...

I do have neem oil and a pressure sprayer pump bottle sitting in my amazon cart though....

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
How often do you take your plants outside and then back into the tent? I’d stop doing that before you bring in some unwanted friends. Scope for pests, just to be safe, since they’ve been outside.
burnz

Soil hippie weighing in. 1st you've got slight cupping. You are over watering. Wait until those bags go feather light and then feed. Careful though. Moisten the soil first before you dump the entire thing in there. Like a slow quart. Let the soil loosen up and then slowly feed in the rest. I've found on really dry soil that if you just dump it in, then it's going to just roll out of the sides of the bag without hitting the bottom. You want that entire root zone wet. Have no idea what quantity you are feeding but in 5 gal grow bags I use 1 gallon typically per feeding. As they get thirsty (vertical growth stopped and in full bloom), they will lighten that bag every 24 hours or so. Instead of a schedule I've got a moisture meter. Plop that sucker down every morning and figure out what you need.

Get some diatomaceous earth for those mites. Sprinkle it at the base of your plants. That will get the little fuckers coming up the sides of the bag into the soil. I can PM you a pic of a spinalsodal formula I use that is easy to get, certified organic and doesn't mess with your buds. Also kicks the dog shit out of mites without nuking your plants. Some of the fatty soaps suck ass in that department.

The other thing I'd recommend you do is spray them daily with a PH balanced Epsom salts solution of 1/2 tablespoon to a gallon. Mist them. They will love you.

I spray in the evening before I take the m in for the evening for mites. And I hit them all in the morning with cal/mag.

Think that's it other than your nute line up. I've had tremendously good results with Earth Juice Seablast. I use their Grow, Transition, Bloom, and finish the last 3 weeks with Bloom Master. I did a test between Fox Farms, GH, and those above. All of the micros you need for each stage are already there. It's a simple mix and balance and it is formulated for soil.

CF89

CF89

Wow. I posted pics last Tuesday and they’ve come a long ways since then!!!

Sept 25th will be 8 weeks of veg... also when I plan to flip to flower. Am I going to overwhelm the tent? I’ve got like 100+ budsites....

CF89

CF89

Soil hippie weighing in. 1st you've got slight cupping. You are over watering. Wait until those bags go feather light and then feed. Careful though. Moisten the soil first before you dump the entire thing in there. Like a slow quart. Let the soil loosen up and then slowly feed in the rest. I've found on really dry soil that if you just dump it in, then it's going to just roll out of the sides of the bag without hitting the bottom. You want that entire root zone wet. Have no idea what quantity you are feeding but in 5 gal grow bags I use 1 gallon typically per feeding. As they get thirsty (vertical growth stopped and in full bloom), they will lighten that bag every 24 hours or so. Instead of a schedule I've got a moisture meter. Plop that sucker down every morning and figure out what you need.

Get some diatomaceous earth for those mites. Sprinkle it at the base of your plants. That will get the little fuckers coming up the sides of the bag into the soil. I can PM you a pic of a spinalsodal formula I use that is easy to get, certified organic and doesn't mess with your buds. Also kicks the dog shit out of mites without nuking your plants. Some of the fatty soaps suck ass in that department.

The other thing I'd recommend you do is spray them daily with a PH balanced Epsom salts solution of 1/2 tablespoon to a gallon. Mist them. They will love you.

I spray in the evening before I take the m in for the evening for mites. And I hit them all in the morning with cal/mag.

Think that's it other than your nute line up. I've had tremendously good results with Earth Juice Seablast. I use their Grow, Transition, Bloom, and finish the last 3 weeks with Bloom Master. I did a test between Fox Farms, GH, and those above. All of the micros you need for each stage are already there. It's a simple mix and balance and it is formulated for soil.

hell of a post. thank you very much for that.

sounds like were bang on 100% with the first part. I was a little over eager with the watering when they were young. thats an easy fix. otherwise it sounds like my technique is perfect.... light weigh bags, pre water so it doesnt just roll off the sides, etc... learned all those the hard way haha!!! 5 gal pots, 1 gal water every 3 days when theyre adults. also got a moisture meter just to double check.

I will get the DE. so they come up the sides... then what? kill em there? definitely interested in that to have on hand for now, and future grows.

will also look into the epsom salt mist. real quick.. how does that help? and obviously dont want to spray a flowering plant/bud with it? veg only?

tons of good info there. thank you very much.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
hell of a post. thank you very much for that.

sounds like were bang on 100% with the first part. I was a little over eager with the watering when they were young. thats an easy fix. otherwise it sounds like my technique is perfect.... light weigh bags, pre water so it doesnt just roll off the sides, etc... learned all those the hard way haha!!! 5 gal pots, 1 gal water every 3 days when theyre adults. also got a moisture meter just to double check.

I will get the DE. so they come up the sides... then what? kill em there? definitely interested in that to have on hand for now, and future grows.

will also look into the epsom salt mist. real quick.. how does that help? and obviously dont want to spray a flowering plant/bud with it? veg only?

tons of good info there. thank you very much.

DE is for the soil only. Epsom Salts... sort of a cal mag supplement spray on style so you dont get a build up in the bag. They are doing very very well man considering the start :) Great rescue story! Here's my grow enjoying some fresh air and everything the sun has to give.

I veg inside and flower outside. You're looking at 21 strains. The ones in the front are bonsais that have been in flower for about a week. Middle are autos just pulling through their stretch. Back row are photos in full bloom and just started on Bloom Master. Those are HSC gear :)

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Outside the house or outside the tent?

they never go outside. Only once for a sunlight pic for you guys.

they come out of the tent every 2-3 days. Usually for waterings or when I’m bored and want to clean them up a little.

glad to hear they’re doing better. Still not perfect though.
And I must admit. I havnt looked deeply into pest control even though we confirmed I had “bad bugs” in the tent.... I havnt found any more bugs since and they don’t seem to be doing considerable damage or getting worse. At all. Last time I tried to kill the bugs I almost killed the plants so I’m a little gun shy now. I caused way more damage than the aphids/thrips did...

I do have neem oil and a pressure sprayer pump bottle sitting in my amazon cart though....
Just keep an eye on your plants. They look good. Try and refrain from taking them outside and then back into the tent, even for a picture. You’d be surprised how fast the pest can smell the peat in your soil and hitchhike with the plants back into the tent. Happy grows.

CF89

CF89

Ok I let them get dry! A tad too dry haha. Went away to work. 4 days is too much I guess. Only two plants went over dry though. Why?

here’s some pics. Excuse the blurple. It’s the what my 65 year old mom sent me.

They got 3 plain waterings. Then today got nutrients today. Half strength.

Tech4523

Tech4523

Ok I let them get dry! A tad too dry haha. Went away to work. 4 days is too much I guess. Only two plants went over dry though. Why?

here’s some pics. Excuse the blurple. It’s the what my 65 year old mom sent me.

They got 3 plain waterings. Then today got nutrients today. Half strength.

The training looks nice. The wilting from lack of water will change over a few hours of watering. With my job I have unfortunately let them do this. Not the end of the world. When I train or defoil I will let the plant recover. Veg is veg exta leaves will not hurt the plant. The only time I lollipop or remove leaves is a bit into flower when the bud sites are blocked by big leaves. Also if you are using a nutrient rich soils like Fox farm. That has enough in it to feed them for sayb4 weeks. If you are bottle feeding and not watering till run off you can build up salts. Even my self with organic nutrients I was not watering enough till run off and salt build up. You should always measure ppm in ppm out. The joy of photos is you can keep them in veg until any problems are corrected. Make sure you're your checking ppm in/out make sure your ph level and meter is calibrated. Do not over defoil your plants. Every water day is too much imo. If I pulled your arm off every 3 days how would you feel. Also make sure your VPD vapor pressure deficit is on point. Leaf temp air temp and humidity need to he on point. Make sure your tools are calibrated correct. My self im on city and hard water so there is alot of calcium all ready. Have you done a slurry test on the soil ?

My self I was a over watering guy and not watering till run off. Even though you stopped if you never water to run off you could have build up. Then you need to flush and reset the medium.

If you are bottle feeding nutrients how does 1 gal of water saturate 5 gal of medium? To run off ? If bottle feeding nutrients the rule is 10-20% run off so 5gal is 18L or so 10% run off is a 1-2 L .

CF89

CF89

Awesome post. Thank you very much

I am bottle feeding yes. And I’ve never watered till run off. That seems like a tonnnnn of water and maximum saturation? Why don’t I just dunk my entire fabric pot into a full bathtub or bucket then?

usually only put 1 gallon per 5 gallon pot. No runoff ever

My vpd always looks great. The humidifier helps with that.

I did defoliate a bit much in veg. Oops. I’ll save that for while in flower

I tested ph and ppm early on in the grow and havnt done much since except cut my nutes in half as 900-1000ppm was causing nute burn.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

"If you are bottle feeding nutrients how does 1 gal of water saturate 5 gal of medium? To run off ? If bottle feeding nutrients the rule is 10-20% run off so 5gal is 18L or so 10% run off is a 1-2 L ."

I'm sure there is a math genius who can figure this out but... that's not me lol. I use plain old Wally World promix. Think bales of it are visible in some of my pics.

1 gal of water to 5 gal of bag works for me and gives the run off I'm looking for. I'm not looking to replace the volume of soil, rather I'm looking to make sure it is all wet. Why does it work? Dunno. I pour. Soil gets wet. Water runs out the bottom of the bag. Mission accomplished.

I have no burn, no deficiency. Just army green growth and tight nugs. Sometimes I think it would be better to just post after the grow pics, drop the lighting, nutes, and feeding routines and let everyone else argue about why it should or should not have worked while I burn a bowl of whatever it is lol :)

Defoliation techniques can be used to not only bring light to bud sites or focus growth in other areas, but it can also be used to stunt growth. I do it all the time with my bonsai plants. I also do it on occasion with my full size plants. If you check out the back row of my pic the first two from left to right are HSC Squirt. Then there is a bush and two tall plants. The bush is a good 4 weeks older than it's taller twin sisters. And they represent 2 different growing methods. The tall ones have not been messed with at all. The bush was completely defoliated of fans. This is the first time I've grown purple mountain majesty so I grew both ways to see the effect on overall yield and quality.

Based on the way they are coming out? I won't touch a leaf on that strain until harvest... not even the bottom third. The cola formation is going to be large and tight. The side nugs are blowing up larger than the bush's growth.

I'll leave the "why" up to the armchair scientists. At the end of the day, it's just a plant. And all plants tell us what they want/need if we just listen.

CF89

CF89

I use 3:1 perlite and promix. 5 gallon smart pots.

1 gallon of water definitely gets all the soil wet. But it’s not enough to run 1-2L out the sides.

5 gal is 19L. 10% is 1.9L. 20% would be double that....3.8L

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

1 gallon of water definitely gets all the soil wet. But it’s not enough to run 1-2L out the sides.

I use 100% pro mix, 5 gal cloth grow bags, and it works for me lol! You do you. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Happy grows!

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter

Wow, that's a lot of perlite!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Let 'er rip.

It looks like you had maybe an Mg issue and some over-fertilizing.

Keep in mind that if you get a deficiency symptom on a plant part (usually a leaf) that leaf will always show that symptom. A leaf with a deficiency symptom never "gets better."

All your new new growth is looking good.

CF89

CF89

Let 'er rip.

It looks like you had maybe an Mg issue and some over-fertilizing.

Keep in mind that if you get a deficiency symptom on a plant part (usually a leaf) that leaf will always show that symptom. A leaf with a deficiency symptom never "gets better."

All your new new growth is looking good.

Thanks figured those leaves would never get better so I chopped em. The new growth is looking good but it still has a few small flaws last I checked a week ago.

going to flip em to flower on the 25th. That will be 2 months veg

Glad they’re looking better now 🙌

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

Right. I was watering this evening and finally figured out what was bugging me about your forumla. It's missing root volume. There never ends up being 5 gal of soil in the bag at the end, ever. The last widow I harvested was at least 30% root mass. They were top to bottom, side to side and thick. I know the Purple Mountain Majesty plants all have extensive root systems. The plants are almost 4 ft tall from the base of the stalk. Maybe that's why I'm getting the run off I am. Idk.

CF89

CF89

Hmmm. Interesting. You may be onto something.

I’m back home. Plants are looking good. They’re huge. A few small problems on lower leaves. What do you guys think? I just flipped them to 12/12. They are 7.5 weeks old.

one plant has spots like a cow. Looks like a leaf was blocked by another leaf maybe?

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Hmmm. Interesting. You may be onto something.

I’m back home. Plants are looking good. They’re huge. A few small problems on lower leaves. What do you guys think? I just flipped them to 12/12. They are 7.5 weeks old.

one plant has spots like a cow. Looks like a leaf was blocked by another leaf maybe?

What are you using for cal/mag?

Top Bottom