Are these root aphids? Found a couple of these little suckers on the top of my rockwool cube

• Thread starter farmer219
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
farmer219

farmer219

Seen some smaller ones that were red. The one in the video looks like a grown one, fat body

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Seen some smaller ones that were red. The one in the video looks like a grown one, fat body
Any fungus gnats or what you think are fungus gnats? The more mature root aphids will grow wings and fly to next nearest food/place to lay more eggs. They look really similar to fungus gnats once they’re flying.

farmer219

farmer219

yep theres gnats flying around. thought it was regular gnats at first then realized it was aphids with wings

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The speed of travel is about right for RA. Video is a bit blurry though, can't confirm based on that alone.

Anthem

Anthem

If you can get one or a couple to land on a Blue Sticky Card, you can use a 20x loop to confirm if they are Fungal Gnats or Root Aphids. Do a google search, wing length is different, but to be honest the best way I have found to tell them apart is the difference in the middle of the body. One has a common size all the way down the body and the other one has what looks like a joint in the middle of the body.

farmer219

farmer219

Yeah they're root aphids, flying ones weren't fungal gnats.

I'm pretty sure it was in the rock wool when my bud gave me plants that were almost ready to flower... big mistake taking them.

Does anyone know if aphids have a distinct smell? When i brought the plants home, it filled the room up with a dirt/musty smell and figured it wasn't really anything to worry about. Now that i think about it, the smell was probably indicative of a root/plant issue.

A couple of days later the lower leaves started to wilt and fall off - checked for deficiencies and rechecked ph, everything was good. A few days later, some leaves that were green started to rust and get brown spots.

farmer219

farmer219

Azamax if you're not in flower yet, nuke em if you are.

I figured its a uphill battle if i keep them and will surely affect yield. That being said, i tossed them in the trash.

Going to clean the room up with bleach/water and wait two weeks before i get the gears going again.

Top Bottom