Are these seedlings a lost cause? Is this damping off?

• Thread starter CarpeDiamonds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Hey guys,

This is my first time growing so please excuse my lack of knowledge. It's been 17 days since planting and my seedlings are showing minimal growth. Should I scrap these initial seedlings or do they still have a chance. I've already started germinating more seeds, two in a better soil mix and one in a jiffy pellet. The leaves of the tallest seedling refuse to separate and have turned yellow at the tips. I know the potting mix I chose to germinate them in wasn't an ideal texture and that the cardboard container material is too absorbent and that these factors may be the cause but I'm also worried that they're damping off and that they may infect my other germinating seedlings. I've begun watering them with 1:500 Rhizotonic just a few days ago as I was told that might help save them.
Here are photos of the seedlings.

I'd appreciate any insight as I'm very willing to learn.

Are these seedlings a lost cause is this damping off
Are these seedlings a lost cause is this damping off 2
Are these seedlings a lost cause is this damping off 3
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Doesn't look like damping off, they would be slimy and unrecognizable. Looks like maybe they had too much fertilizer.

CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Doesn't look like damping off, they would be slimy and unrecognizable. Looks like maybe they had too much fertilizer.
Could it have been the slow-release potting mix? I didn't add any fertilizer.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Maybe practice with some sunflower seeds until you find your preferred method.

Madmax

Madmax

I yeah i dont go on that potting mix..is there any particular reason why you used it..perhaps using coir/perlite could b better for your first go...what gear have you got. lights,nutrients etc to see you to the end...

Cheers max

BudBogart

BudBogart

What would kill a seedling during germination? Something powerful, a very hot soil that instantly killed the root? Unlikely, using bagged soil, slow release or not. My guess is the soil did not have any water during the first day of germination.
You may not want slow release fertilizer in you cannabis soil. You don’t want a release of nitrogen during late flowering.

Palindrome

Palindrome

Hey guys,

This is my first time growing so please excuse my lack of knowledge. It's been 17 days since planting and my seedlings are showing minimal growth. Should I scrap these initial seedlings or do they still have a chance. I've already started germinating more seeds, two in a better soil mix and one in a jiffy pellet. The leaves of the tallest seedling refuse to separate and have turned yellow at the tips. I know the potting mix I chose to germinate them in wasn't an ideal texture and that the cardboard container material is too absorbent and that these factors may be the cause but I'm also worried that they're damping off and that they may infect my other germinating seedlings. I've begun watering them with 1:500 Rhizotonic just a few days ago as I was told that might help save them.

Almost looks like you are using orchid mix there! - Try ANY soiless mix that is sterile (coco coir, coir/perlite mix, HP mix with micorhizae (no fert version), etc.) and simple mineral water. Trickiest aspect is after 12hr seed imbibing in water (cracked seed coat) - - when you go to paper towels - biggest error is here - they CANNOT dry out EVER - once at 2-3cm (½ to ¾") hypocotyl extension - put them to bed gently in their soil mix (cups). Personally, I don't like Jiffy pellets but they definitely work. Your seedlings were already dead - they just didn't know it. It is likely Fusarium/Pythium/Rhizoctonia complex (technical term for root rot) and these fungi were definitely in your "soil" mix.

Palindrome

Palindrome

Almost looks like you are using orchid mix there! - Try ANY soiless mix that is sterile (coco coir, coir/perlite mix, HP mix with micorhizae (no fert version), etc.) and simple mineral water. Trickiest aspect is after 12hr seed imbibing in water (cracked seed coat) - - when you go to paper towels - biggest error is here - they CANNOT dry out EVER - once at 2-3cm (½ to ¾") hypocotyl extension - put them to bed gently in their soil mix (cups). Personally, I don't like Jiffy pellets but they definitely work. Your seedlings were already dead - they just didn't know it. It is likely Fusarium/Pythium/Rhizoctonia complex (technical term for root rot) and these fungi were definitely in your "soil" mix.
your experience could be due to a couple of things - mostly related to your choice of growing medium - my first thought is pH issue - I don't see any chlorophyll in those cotyledons.

dbrzz

dbrzz

Hey guys,

Looks like the seedlings are burned up. Fertilizer burn or lack of water. Seedlings must not be fertilized. The cotyledons, the 2 round leaves when it sprouts, have the nutrients to get the seedling to grow and develop a nice tap root. Use spring water and a grow media free of fertilizer, to sprout your seeds. Feeding is not required for the first 2 weeks usually.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

I usually have problems overwatering my seedlings. Try germinating in rockwool, almost impossible to drown them in it.

Top Bottom