Are these seedlings a lost cause?

• Thread starter justazed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
justazed

justazed

hello, this is my first time trying to grow, first off i'm pretty sure the problem was caused by me putting my light too close overnight, i've raised the height to around 18 inches from the plants, i'm not sure where the sweet spot is as i was finding that they stretched quite alot during the first few days before putting out any noticeable foliage, there's some light burn on the tips of the first picture, it's not too clear in the picture, sorry my camera sucks, Also the others are looking much more sorry for themselves than they were yesterday, wilted and looking defeated, I'm just not sure whether or not they are saveable with being in such an early stage of growth, thank you for answering to anyone who does. also the normal temperatures are around 21 - 27, i also try to keep the humidity above 65 and below 85.

Possible dedjpg
Possible ded2jpg
Billymgb

Billymgb

They are not a lost cause at all. what kind of light do you have. If you want just google and ask how far should you keep the light (brand and kind you have) from your plants. Or someone else with more knowledge can tell you good luck my friend.

justazed

justazed

Ah that's perfect thank you for replying so quick, I have a mars hydro ts1000, i'll look into what other people are doing too, I didn't even think about the height requirements being different for every different sort of lights, thank you.

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

See if you can get a lux meter app on your phone. Thats what ive been advised to use, my light has an adjustable knob also. So i adjust heighth and intensity

justazed

justazed

no i'm just using pure tap water, i'll see about getting a lux meter app too, thank you both

justazed

justazed

so i took a reading of the lux meter and after i'd raised the height when i took those pictures and it just read as 36,000.. so i can only imagine how bad it was for them last night, i feel bad lol so i raised it to 30 inches and turned down the intensity and now they're sitting at 6500, thank you

quirk

quirk

Ah that's perfect thank you for replying so quick, I have a mars hydro ts1000, i'll look into what other people are doing too, I didn't even think about the height requirements being different for every different sort of lights, thank you.

I use the ts1000 for seedlings/young plants and dim to 75w @ 18" for first 10 days, then go to full power @ 24,", raising if I notice any light/heat stress like canoeing or tip damage. I have the very useful Kill A Watt meter to give me precise wattage, as my light is an older model which adjusts with a screwdriver.

IMG 20200622 141825322
_VLAD_

_VLAD_

Yeah def way too intense. Im still used to HPS where Id basically get as close without burning. Mine are 2.5 weeks old maybe 3 nodes and i still had my light too intense. Been a little hard to judge for me. Glad youre on the way to getting it figured out though

justazed

justazed

thank you for noticing, i skipped out on watering today too since i had a feeling i might've over watered them from the start, i didn't realise you have to give them small amounts in 1 - 2 drinks a day rather than such a big drink at one time, is that right?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
thank you for noticing, i skipped out on watering today too since i had a feeling i might've over watered them from the start, i didn't realise you have to give them small amounts in 1 - 2 drinks a day rather than such a big drink at one time, is that right?
ya that size only water like a couple shot glasses worth.. not much more, as the leaves grow outward toward the edges you can water more.
just less is more, nothing good comes with overwatering!!

Madbud

Madbud

If you have a scale the cup of soil weighs around 150g. A ml of water weighs a gram so it doesn’t take much to overwater. The main thing is to let them dry back down to that 150g mark before watering again.

justazed

justazed

aha well i just looked at them today and they're not looking much better, the smallest pot is doing the worst and i've got a feeling the fact they're held in such small containers isn't doing the roots any good as they're all growing out of the drainholes, i didn't expect them to fill the pot so quickly, pretty nutty from a botanist perspective lol so im gonna try real carefully to transplant them into much bigger containers, re-adjust the lights to suit the new height and go easy on the watering and i'll let u know how it goes

Dan789

Dan789

@justazed suggest you avail yourself of some of the basics about growing especially seedlings, or you’ll be killing a lot of beans, learning... Hope these plants survive.

CaptainKhronik

CaptainKhronik

I screwed up.
Please share your thoughts on this debacle. My brother left the dome off the tray of seedlings they had just formed their true leaves. With that said the medium dried up the oops ceilings got stressed and fell over. Since I prop them up with toothpicks and gave them kelp tea. Any thoughts on aloe vera?
The second picture was taken 2 days after
Received 734150440615456

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I screwed up.
Please share your thoughts on this debacle. My brother left the dome off the tray of seedlings they had just formed their true leaves. With that said the medium dried up the oops ceilings got stressed and fell over. Since I prop them up with toothpicks and gave them kelp tea. Any thoughts on aloe vera?
The second picture was taken 2 days after
View attachment 1121785
you should be good..
you can see you didn’t bury the seed deep enough in some, i’d fill those cups right up to the top, than very lightly pushed it down easily than top it off if need too.
don’t water till it’s dry and light in weight, like a feather. water only with a spray bottle to not compact the soil..
than just leave them alone!

Top Bottom