at what point should i start using a dehumidifier?

• Thread starter BC_August
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BC_August

my tent is in the garage, which gets cold, so when lights off the RH goes up to 80, sometimes 85%.
I've read that higher humidity is okay/good for seedlings but when should i start to fine tune it? when lights are on it stays at around 50%.
I've got 6 x 2 week olds in there growing at a rapid rate, all healthy other than the bag seed seedling that has long twisty leaves, theres 3 that are perfect looking so im hoping those are the females (only want 2-3, first grow, want to teach myself without overwhelming myself).

Anyway, dehumidifer. im on 18/6 for probably another 5 weeks (the seedlings have only been under the proper light and tent for just over a week, in my seedling box before that).

I was thinking once lights go on, dehumidifier goes on for 4-5 hours (my theory on that one is if i were to have it on during the whole dark period it may take away TOO much moisture, i could be thinking too much into it though).

I'm planning on starting a grow diary shortly, just waiting on my second light, carbon filter + centrifugal fan and oscilatting fan. at the moment my fan is way too big for the size of the plants, and my makeshift exhaust fan isnt very happy with me. they're supposed to turn up today i think so fingers crossed.

im getting off track a lot here (thanks adhd) but ive definitely found my favourite new hobby, i usually go through different hobbies every few weeks but this has stuck thankfully, its really amazing to see how much growth happens just over one night ya know? very cool. just wish it didnt have to be a secret and i didnt have to pretend that big thing in the corner is just storage and packing boxes lol.

aaaanyway, apologies for the ramble. am i on the right track with the dehumidifier? i just ordered a smaller one as my original one took up way too much valuable space, new ones a lot smaller.

TL;DR - my RH gets high, good for seedlings yea? when should i start using dehumidifier, plants are starting on their 2nd node now i believe.

Please and thank you :)

BrokenHome

BrokenHome

Is there high humidity in the garage? If so, you would be better off putting your large humidifier in the garage. You want to have good air exchange in the tent so if your pulling air from the garage that is where the humidifier should go.

B

BC_August

Is there high humidity in the garage? If so, you would be better off putting your large humidifier in the garage. You want to have good air exchange in the tent so if your pulling air from the garage that is where the humidifier should go.
good point, ill do a test, didnt think about that.
being a garage theres a fair bit of trash in there (on the other side of garage, far away from the tent) but being trash i can imagine it could attribute to the humidity, although like, it feels dry? cold, but dry.

Trash is there because of our cities terrible trash collection, dunno how it is in other parts of the world but we pay for it in this city, back in my home town (same country) its free. strange how its so different despite being in the same country and only around 435km (270miles) away from each other hahah.

B

BC_August

Your very welcome, using an exhaust fan will help remove humidity also but I'm sure you have one already.😉
by exhaust fan do you mean the fan attached to the carbon filter? thats arriving today (hopefully). or do you mean something different?

my current exhaust fan is just a clip on fan doing its best to pump out air.

current set up isn't perfect, but it'll be 100x better once the extra light and filter/fan arrive.

i'm using these for lights, one at the moment but soon to be two. had a shitty blurple but got rid of it, way too loud, these fanless cobs are great, im a novice but im seeing pretty amazing growth every day from just this one light - https://herbals.co.nz/collections/led-grow-lights/products/4seasons-luma400ledgrowlight

EDIT: price from that link is in NZD not USD, so about $182USD. got one 2nd hand (but pretty much new) for $125USD and the 2nd is a display unit that i got for about $121USD. saved on fan and carbon filter too, getting this - https://herbals.co.nz/collections/ventilation-packages/products/4-fan-carbon-filter-ducting
with the 250mm filter, figured it'd be okay since im planning on only growing 2-3 medium sized plants. but yeah, instead of $369USD i got them for $237USD. pretty happy about that. Birthday present to myself hah

Last edited:
brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

by exhaust fan do you mean the fan attached to the carbon filter? thats arriving today (hopefully). or do you mean something different?

my current exhaust fan is just a clip on fan doing its best to pump out air.

current set up isn't perfect, but it'll be 100x better once the extra light and filter/fan arrive.

i'm using these for lights, one at the moment but soon to be two. had a shitty blurple but got rid of it, way too loud, these fanless cobs are great, im a novice but im seeing pretty amazing growth every day from just this one light - https://herbals.co.nz/collections/led-grow-lights/products/4seasons-luma400ledgrowlight

EDIT: price from that link is in NZD not USD, so about $182USD. got one 2nd hand (but pretty much new) for $125USD and the 2nd is a display unit that i got for about $121USD. saved on fan and carbon filter too, getting this - https://herbals.co.nz/collections/ventilation-packages/products/4-fan-carbon-filter-ducting
with the 250mm filter, figured it'd be okay since im planning on only growing 2-3 medium sized plants. but yeah, instead of $369USD i got them for $237USD. pretty happy about that. Birthday present to myself hah
Yep exhaust aka scrubber fan, but hey baby steps amigo, slowly immerse yourself into it you'll be fine.

Hey your a kiwi, I've been to Christchurch once, awesome people there!

Yep fanless is the way to go good move.

B

BC_August

Yep exhaust aka scrubber fan, but hey baby steps amigo, slowly immerse yourself into it you'll be fine.

Hey your a kiwi, I've been to Christchurch once, awesome people there!

Yep fanless is the way to go good move.
thanks man :)

installed all my new equipment, have
2 of these - https://herbals.co.nz/collections/led-grow-lights/products/4seasons-luma400ledgrowlight
1 of these - https://herbals.co.nz/collections/ventilation-packages/products/4-fan-carbon-filter-ducting (even on lowest setting its great, sucking in the sides of my tent and creating a really nice environment, fixed my humidity problem mostly too, the speed controller is great, i have the 250mm filter)
1 of these - https://herbals.co.nz/collections/h...other-gear/products/6-clip-on-oscillating-fan
in a 3x3x5 tent. have 6 plants, only wanting 2-3 females, probably not going to top or do much training, this is my first go and tbh im not looking for huge yields, a couple of oz per plant would be great, most of it will be going to make medicine anyways.

plants sprouted around 27th december, so i guess around 2.5 weeks. didnt have both the lights for that whole time but regardless they're growing really well. im going to flip at 4 weeks as I want smaller plants, plus i lease my home so smaller plants easier to hide when inspection time comes. ive got companion plants in there so if the landlords see the tent i can show them (after hiding the weed) that its all legal. growing a small variety of cherry tomato (only grows to around a foot high), a peppermint plant (heard its good for deterring pests) and a habanero (which ill try to train so it doesnt get too big).

how long ago did you go to christchurch? its my home town, dont live there anymore. was your visit before the earthquakes destroyed the city and riddled it with m*th or after? it used to be a nice enough city apart from the rampant racism and neo-nazis. Now it's a shit hole full of white bigots and im sure as hell glad im not there lol.

Top Bottom