auto burping buckets... Glass or Plastic?

• Thread starter redshift75
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redshift75

I always hate having to do mason jars. Reason is i farm and goto farmers markets and have to make up tons of jars of things. It gets old fast. I said on the new farm i was going to make 5 gallon curing buckets. But then as i started to go through my material list. I started to contemplate is this one of those times where i want to opt for glass vs plastic? Id only have to run about 40 1 gallon jars vs 8 5 gallon buckets. I want to avoid bovida packs and burping 100 jars a day. Ive seen conflicting things on plastic where it just has to be food grade or whatever. I also liked the 5 gallon buckets cause i could stack them in my dry tent after im done drying or even during considering floor space and the overall height. thoughts and suggestions or any considerations would be appreciated.

threatco

threatco

I always hate having to do mason jars. Reason is i farm and goto farmers markets and have to make up tons of jars of things. It gets old fast. I said on the new farm i was going to make 5 gallon curing buckets. But then as i started to go through my material list. I started to contemplate is this one of those times where i want to opt for glass vs plastic? Id only have to run about 40 1 gallon jars vs 8 5 gallon buckets. I want to avoid bovida packs and burping 100 jars a day. Ive seen conflicting things on plastic where it just has to be food grade or whatever. I also liked the 5 gallon buckets cause i could stack them in my dry tent after im done drying or even during considering floor space and the overall height. thoughts and suggestions or any considerations would be appreciated.

Why not just put them in a climate-controlled room (or tent).

What all that mason jar / burping etc etc is trying to accomplish is simply maintaining an ideal RH.

Modern technology can accomplish that easily in a whole room.

I go by the Ed Rosenthal school of thought on this one.

R

redshift75

Why not just put them in a climate-controlled room (or tent).

What all that mason jar / burping etc etc is trying to accomplish is simply maintaining an ideal RH.

Modern technology can accomplish that easily in a whole room.

I go by the Ed Rosenthal school of thought on this one.

I technically have a whole drying room. idk i just always did jars. ill give that a read

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Im just finishing day 3 drying in closet on a hanging mesh rack thing. I've been keeping it 55%rh temp 70f pretty constant besides when the humidifier runs out on me, i have a paper bag handy incase they dry too fast, but so far haven't needed it, seem like theyre drying pretty evenly so far..

20200518 103408
R

redshift75

I dry in a room but i guess ive never considered curing them in that room. I feel like its too large of a space to "cure" properly.

Although i do kind of want to build a cedar drying room ive got a ton of big cedar trees im dying to use for a project and considered that. I kind of want to go gallon glass jars. Im more tossed because of the talk that plastic degrades bud? I wanted to go 5 gallon buckets just cause it was easy and have meters was going to put in the gamma lids.

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

I dry in a room but i guess ive never considered curing them in that room. I feel like its too large of a space to "cure" properly.

Although i do kind of want to build a cedar drying room ive got a ton of big cedar trees im dying to use for a project and considered that. I kind of want to go gallon glass jars. Im more tossed because of the talk that plastic degrades bud? I wanted to go 5 gallon buckets just cause it was easy and have meters was going to put in the gamma lids.
They will go in jars when they are ready. Just aren't ready for jars yet lol.. Not curing in here.

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Using the 5gal buckets wouldnt be bad as long as they were dried enough prior to going in them i think. Could even cut a spot to shove one of the mini hygrometers into and seal with a little hot glue so you can view each buckets rh/temp easy :)
Glass easy enough can see thru lol
Overall size, weight, and how many lids to deal with lol i say mostly personal preference there...

Wouldnt the cedar effect the taste of the buds? I dont think it would be the worst taste if it did but if it does at all i wonder?

R

redshift75

Using the 5gal buckets wouldnt be bad as long as they were dried enough prior to going in them i think. Could even cut a spot to shove one of the mini hygrometers into and seal with a little hot glue so you can view each buckets rh/temp easy :)
Glass easy enough can see thru lol
Overall size, weight, and how many lids to deal with lol i say mostly personal preference there...

Wouldnt the cedar effect the taste of the buds? I dont think it would be the worst taste if it did but if it does at all i wonder?
like cigars it would pick up hints of cedar. its actually a quite pleasant aroma if you like good aged cigars. Which i do now and again.

im going to add these in the gamma lids https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FJ330QD2QY2D

then do the one way check valves. Surprisingly it doesnt seem from my testing you need that big of a pump. seems most kits sells giant pumps. and from my small scale testing.... Seems you can compensate with time. But it has more to do with matching the volume. Either way ill probably try a 200gph pump on a few buckets vs the big 20w+hydroponic level pumps. I think i will opt the extra $1 and get food grade buckets. i may hook up a few 1 gallon jars and do a test. see which turns out better glass or plastic or if there is no difference. i dont plan to do boveda packs.

i actually kind of want to run 2 pumps and build a lid that is hooked up to a humidity controller. Put that in the medium most bucket and have it vent based on that. wasnt sure if that made the potential for "too much" venting though.

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

i actually kind of want to run 2 pumps and build a lid that is hooked up to a humidity controller. Put that in the medium most bucket and have it vent based on that. wasnt sure if that made the potential for "too much" venting though.

Sounds like a lot more work than necessary.. but a fun project none the less :) 😊

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

The thing with humidity controllers is there is usually a fairly wide dead zone, so too much venting shouldnt be an issue as long as they were dried properly so they dont swing high humidity too often, i think finding a cheap controller with a wider, say 5% dead zone would give it that time sealed it needs while still venting when it gets too far off. 💁

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
The gamma lids are great. 8 seems reasonable to burp. I do long cures as well, the last run I left one plant whole to see how that went. Surprisingly - it retained terps way better than some of the other cut branches had cured. I tend to keep large branches intact during cure if I can. I like pulling the buds off at smoking time, like grapes off the bunch.

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Something as simple as a one-way valve hooked to a fishtank airpump, plugged into the humidity controller coming in from bottom of bucket side to push the air in up thru the bud so no bottom nugs stay wet if only top is vented, and another one-way up top somewhere to push the humidity out from. Just a good exchange of air for a bit is all it really needs

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
I'll offer up option C...Stainless steel 😉
After using Cvaults and steeltainers, I'll never use glass or plastic again
I also line mine with parchment paper so the flowers dont leave sticky good stuff behind in the container.

Rooke

Rooke

Heya farmer great post! I dry my plants very slow approximately 12-16 ish days cool and dark I leave some of the smaller leaves on to prevent them from drying to fast. I’ve been using 3 gal and 1 gal plastic ice cream pails. I get the local ice cream shop to keep them for me if you can find the white ones they are better than the opaque ones hope this helps

R

redshift75

I'll offer up option C...Stainless steel 😉
After using Cvaults and steeltainers, I'll never use glass or plastic again
I also line mine with parchment paper so the flowers dont leave sticky good stuff behind in the container.
Yeah i looked into stainless before i posted. then i saw the sticker and those price themselves right out of the market for me. the stainless containers are like $100 vs $5. unless there is a value company with them i missed? I thought about modifying the giant stock pots. But then same thing for the price i can build 5-5gal buckets to 1 bucket. I like the idea, just not the pricing :)

cheapest i found for options were the brewing stock pots or the fermenter pots which are about double
https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Stock-12-5/dp/B000FRJJSM/

Last edited by a moderator:
marcd455

marcd455

I wonder if those lids fit on a conventional 5 gal pail?
Fits standard 5 Gallon/18.93L Bucket, Easy to Open-Close Lid, Electronic Hygrometer Reader, Dry Erase Sticker for Organization **Bucket not included**
$34.99 USD

Latest posts

Top Bottom