Auto flower took over my tent, has identity crisis

• Thread starter stowndawg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stowndawg

This autoflower could not decide if it was an auto or a photo. Beginning of growth was normal for the autoflowers I usually grow. I did my normal LST (I dont have a lot of experience I have only been growing less than 1 year) and formed her into a bush. She just didnt stop growing. She did autoflower as she started showing pistils about when she was 6 inches high. After she kept growing I switched my lights to 12/12 (previously 18/6) to try and stop more vertical growth. The plant ended up taking over my tent and messing up two other cannabis plants, a strawberry plant, and a catnip patch. Im not mad though, this is a welcome surprise. It stole all of the light. had to put the other plants up on buckets to get them high enough to get light. From soil to top of plant is just over 4 feet. Vertical growth has stopped and flowers are starting to bulk but still putting out new white pistils, but slowing down. Trichomes are starting to build now as well, shedding fan leaves etc. This girl seemed like she could not decide what type she wanted to be, ended up acting like both.

The blue ruler is 13inches total length. Tent is 48x48x80

Auto flower took over my tent has identity crisis
Auto flower took over my tent has identity crisis 2
Timbo0716

Timbo0716

She looks great!! ^^^^Haha dude same thing happen to me. I got 3 short bubba kush and 3 I don't have any idea what they are. one of them took over my closet. Growing in a 4X4X8 had to put the BK's on a stand to get to the lights. Still have all 6 in there....lol....next time fewer plants.

FourthCity

FourthCity

This autoflower could not decide if it was an auto or a photo. Beginning of growth was normal for the autoflowers I usually grow. I did my normal LST (I dont have a lot of experience I have only been growing less than 1 year) and formed her into a bush. She just didnt stop growing. She did autoflower as she started showing pistils about when she was 6 inches high. After she kept growing I switched my lights to 12/12 (previously 18/6) to try and stop more vertical growth. The plant ended up taking over my tent and messing up two other cannabis plants, a strawberry plant, and a catnip patch. Im not mad though, this is a welcome surprise. It stole all of the light. had to put the other plants up on buckets to get them high enough to get light. From soil to top of plant is just over 4 feet. Vertical growth has stopped and flowers are starting to bulk but still putting out new white pistils, but slowing down. Trichomes are starting to build now as well, shedding fan leaves etc. This girl seemed like she could not decide what type she wanted to be, ended up acting like both.

The blue ruler is 13inches total length. Tent is 48x48x80
Wow, what a weird plant! My hand is cramping at the thought of trimming off all those leaves. Just curious, how old is it? Some closer shots would be nice too!

S

stowndawg

@FourthCity Honestly I dont know exactly how old she is. Closest I can guess is end of July to early August. So 4-3.5 months. I would like to trim her too but I kind of like the plant to do her thing and drop them when they are ready, I take time to prune her everyday by tugging the fan leaves that look ready. They will pop off easy if ready, but of there is no give I wont push it. Some closer shots

20191123 234224
20191123 234239
20191123 234434
20191123 234123
20191123 234333
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Phenomenal man. Just amazing. I mean, your circumstance, im sorry? But at the same time, thats fucking awesome? LOL. Great job man, im sorry you had to kinda push the other plants out but, man shes fucking nice! have fun trimming that lol.

S

stowndawg

Yeah overall I am stoked to grow such a big plant that the losses from the other plants is well more than made up for. One of the other autoflowers (critical purple) I had growing took a big hit but was already developed enough to give about 1.5oz of some very nice flowers but the jack herer got her light taken when she was a seedling and is severely stunted and is going to give me .5oz max prob less but still the flowers are gorgeous so far...foxtailing like crazy but all of the jack herer I have grown has done the same.
I am definitely looking forward to harvest for the big girl...she is Tangerine Dream btw...but I am not looking forward to trimming all of her as after the excitement of chopping has faded and 45 min into the trim I see just how much more I need to do. Will be a multi day process as I eventually become overwhelmed with the tedium...BUT holding one of those big colas trimmed in my hand will for sure feel good. Hopefully a lot of those fan leaves will drop...but still.
I dont know how to estimate the yield, the flowers are still growing and popping new pistils. The next biggest plant I have grown gave me 7 oz and this girl is so much bigger. I would not be surprised to get over 1lb from this plant once she is ready

Cattapilla

Cattapilla

What a plant! So this is what a Tangerine Dream is /supposed/ to look like. Well, supersized. She's a beauty.

S

stowndawg

@Cattapilla What do you mean? What is your experience with Tangerine Dream? This is the first time I have grown this strain.

Cattapilla

Cattapilla

My first ongoing grow is an auto tangerine dream that I thought was a photo until it started to bud just as I was getting ready to transfer into a 3 gallon pot and switch lights to 12/12. She's really struggled, and I'm just trying to get her to harvest. There's a grow diary of her. Not worth wrecking your beautiful posts with a pic of my little Skeletor.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
After harvest, i hope to see you still around the farm, feel like youre gonna stay, and if you do, i would DEFINITELY love to know final weight results just from this one girl. Im going to throw my number in, ehh i dont even know a whopping guess of like 11oz - maybe over a pound. a pound is alot, but u got alot there, im interested. VERY interested

AND VERY Jealous LOL.

S

stowndawg

I dont see myself going anywhere. I will def update with pics and yield when she is ready. She is still fattening up, I have not seen any slowing down yet so who knows what yield will be, it would be cool to be able to say I got 1lb from an "autoflower". I am not sure how long she has to go before she is finished but from how the flowers look I estimate about another 4 or 5 weeks, but I could be wrong in either direction as this plant has not behaved like any one I have grown before. I just started growing about 11 months ago after it was legalized (MI) and have only grown 7 plants so far ranging from 7-1.5oz per plant, but most have given about 4 oz....so I still dont have a lot of personal experience overall with judging these things.

FourthCity

FourthCity

@FourthCity Honestly I dont know exactly how old she is. Closest I can guess is end of July to early August. So 4-3.5 months.
That seems super long for an auto considering it looks like it still has weeks to go, it just keeps getting more strange.
I would like to trim her too but I kind of like the plant to do her thing and drop them when they are ready, I take time to prune her everyday by tugging the fan leaves that look ready. They will pop off easy if ready, but of there is no give I wont push it. Some closer shots
Im talking about at harvest time, they are patiently waiting to give you carpal tunnel syndrome. Looks like it will be quite a yield.

S

stowndawg

@FourthCity yeah I misunderstood but realized later what you meant. I am not looking forward to thebtrim. I cant even watch tv because I am staring at the piece I am trimming about 90% of the time. I have the springy small pruning shears, the spring helps a lot I can not imagine doing it without lol. That being said it's going to be really boring for a while after harvest but I'll take it

FourthCity

FourthCity

@FourthCity yeah I misunderstood but realized later what you meant. I am not looking forward to thebtrim. I cant even watch tv because I am staring at the piece I am trimming about 90% of the time. I have the springy small pruning shears, the spring helps a lot I can not imagine doing it without lol. That being said it's going to be really boring for a while after harvest but I'll take it

I'm the same way when I trim and usually stack up a few comedy specials to listen to, keeps my eyes on the bud and my mind off the hand cramps.

S

stowndawg

Here is an update 1 week later. I have been trying all sorts of rigs to get my light higher, I managed to get it up about 8 inches, but before that the plant was right up to the light...not touching it I was using some ratcheting ropes for hanging lights to pull everything outward and away from the light. She seems happier now and I cut down on the LST because it was smashing branches into the side of the tent as I had no choice.

Still filling out and flowers still look young with a few hairs starting to darken but at least 95% white. Dropping a lot of fan leaves though everyday and damn there is a lot of them. Here is the whole plant without the tent blocking it. Tape measure is 5ft.

20191130 165124
20191130 165230
S

stowndawg

I uh...can't reveal the particulars to the "nutrient" feeding schedule this plant requires....I am just trying to keep her happy until she is ready...

some closer looks at her naughty bits...anyone has an estimate on when she will be ready? A week ago I was guessing another month but idk I think it might be longer

20191130 183206
20191130 183318
20191130 183107
20191130 183234
Last edited:
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
holy shits man, i still cant believe this lol. It still looks like your a bit out, i mean, new grower so dont listen to me one bit, but from my short experience, id say youre still a bit out, like even a couple weeks, 2-3? i dont really know though, it just looks like those buds have some more swelling to do. im here to learn too, we will have to wait to see what some of these more advanced guys got for you! But man niceeee job, nice job.

S

stowndawg

Another week+ later. This is the plant that never ends, it goes on and on my friends....she seems like she doesnt want to finish...

When I started this thread I was seeing how much to feed her and she had been taking it like a champ. I saw some tip burn starting around the time of the first post and decided to stop adding any nutes until I saw a healthy change in the right direction. I also saw more yellowing leaves which I thought was due to the age of the plant...After almost 2 weeks of only water the tip burn stopped and new growth was healthy. It seems like the plant is younger now than before...the amount of leaves dropping has fallen significantly and she is greener than before. The flowers still look young, still almost completely white but are bulking up and putting out pistils. Trichomes are still taking their time to be produced. All of the buds have started foxtailing, which I thought was maybe because of how close to the lights they were for a while but even the lowest shady flowers are doing it too. Humidity is 40% and 77F.

20191209 233544
20191209 233419
20191209 233448
20191209 233403
20191209 233509
20191209 233328
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Its a large auto thats why it took longer! Autos do not keel over and die at day 70, i have run some autos over 100 days, nice job!

Latest posts

Top Bottom