Auto near harvest rapidly breaking out in mould

• Thread starter spicyspicy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
spicyspicy

spicyspicy

First time grower here. I'm close to harvesting this auto but the plant is breaking out with mould. The mould is all over the plant but only on the big leaves and not too close to the bud. I think maybe I kept the humidity too high or didn't mix enough perlite with the Ocean Forest soil and it was too damp? I started it outside but then brought it in and put it under a cheapish grow light from Home Depot. The plant is 16 weeks old. I'm not sure why it took it so much extra time to flower but I think some poor outdoor weather combined with the sudden increase in hours of light when I moved it indoors may have screwed it up, I don't know.

Anyway this is my first grow and I hate for it to go to waste. What do you think, is it still safe to harvest and smoke it despite the mould?

Auto near harvest rapidly breaking out in mould
Auto near harvest rapidly breaking out in mould 2
BigCube

BigCube

That's up to you. I will note that cannabis that has mold isnt allowed to be sold and is the main thing they inspect for in cannabis intended for consumption. I will also say that I have tossed out plants 2 weeks before harvest for mold, and it does suck.

As for still smoking it, it's your life. If you want to take the chance with your health, that's up to you. But I wouldn't. It would be the trashcan for me.

spicyspicy

spicyspicy

Thanks for the replies. I'm tempted to try the suggestions in the article and see if I can get it off, but at the same time I would rather not risk my health. Maybe I should chuck it and try harder next time. 🤷‍♂️

Gashuffer

Gashuffer

I’d go with the latter, but don’t just try harder. Try and figure out what happened to cause the mold, and add measures to ensure it doesn’t happen again next time.

your first grow is a major learning experience. :)

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

Thanks for the replies. I'm tempted to try the suggestions in the article and see if I can get it off, but at the same time I would rather not risk my health. Maybe I should chuck it and try harder next time. 🤷‍♂️

Personally I would try it if it's nowhere near the buds, how high was your humidity ¿ 'curious :p'

greenscholar

greenscholar

To each there own I had another grower watch my plant while on vacation. He failed to tell me he had PM within weeks everything was covered I had allot going on an wast about 3 weeks from harvest, My basement was getting cold at night so it was thriving I threw everything out. If you were to keep it I would suggest washing in dr. zymes at least.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Late in flower, I'd carefully mist the leaves with greencure or even plain water to get them a little damp to kill any spores first, and then remove as much infected foliage as possible. If you have a dehu run it. Keep airflow and air circulation maxed out.

Cross your fingers. It can spread like wildfire. Worst case, bubblehash is a safe way to process and consume it, but you need to really wash the trichs.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I agree with Mr Cube, throw it away;

If you decide to keep it you must act fast; add one level tablespoon baking soda to 1 gallon of water & spray all the foliage top and bottom of the leaf; repeat this about every 3 days

add fans, as many as you have, put them on the floor, up high & keep them going 24/7

Also look up Jorge Cervantes Bud washing for when you harvest, best wishes

Edit: btw I can only see the small bud in that one picture but that plant has a way to go still

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
You could keep it and spray the plant down everyday if that what it takes then do a bud wash before hanging it to dry up.

For all the squeamish ppl who would trash there hard work and investment over something that is in the millions of spores that are in every breath you take already.

I may be wrong but mold and mildew are different things.

I would trash it if it were really bad with no hope of recovering but yours looks not to bad. Just stay on it and get more airflow the spores can't take root if there always floating in the air

pawhuska

pawhuska

'How to Eliminate White Powdery Mildew'
might be worth a read

I'm not experienced enough to give proper guidance

Ponky

Ponky

Harvest now. Break it down. Speed dry. Sell it. Buy some weed. Then clean up your space. Fix your airflow. Get new seeds. Once you see PM that late in the game it's over. Get a black light and it will show you where the infection is. You don't want to save a plant.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Harvest now. Break it down. Speed dry. Sell it. Buy some weed. Then clean up your space. Fix your airflow. Get new seeds. Once you see PM that late in the game it's over. Get a black light and it will show you where the infection is. You don't want to save a plant.
If they gave out medals for bad advice this would be gold all day long. My god 🤦‍♂️ Whatever route you take do not take this one. One of the most frustrating things is a confident fool, what’s worse is the internet has given these fools a platform to spout nonsensical ideas infecting others with their stupidity.
post some more pics of the plant, let’s see the buds. What are your temps and humidity readings with lights on and off, how’s your air exchange and air flow. Seems to be a logical place to start.

Pondracer

Pondracer

Out of curiousity, if its not that bad is it possible to decarb this and use it in edibles without harm?

Ponky

Ponky

PM plants aren't worth your time. Sell it. If you want to salvage the material make an extract. Don't smoke the bud or cook with it. You could use alcohol or butane to make an extraction and now you have dabs or materials for edibles. If you leave PM plants to grow and the PM gets worse you've just wasted more time. Good weed never had PM. If you wouldn't buy weed with PM on it don't smoke it just because you grew it. Mold and mildew isn't what you want to smoke.

Easy way to salvage the material is to butane extract it. Decarb the extract and make gummies. Plenty of people will smoke PM. Plenty of people won't notice. But don't.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

PM plants aren't worth your time. Sell it. If you want to salvage the material make an extract. Don't smoke the bud or cook with it. You could use alcohol or butane to make an extraction and now you have dabs or materials for edibles. If you leave PM plants to grow and the PM gets worse you've just wasted more time. Good weed never had PM. If you wouldn't buy weed with PM on it don't smoke it just because you grew it. Mold and mildew isn't what you want to smoke.

Easy way to salvage the material is to butane extract it. Decarb the extract and make gummies. Plenty of people will smoke PM. Plenty of people won't notice. But don't.
Why do you keep telling him to sell it to people who are unaware of the problem? Seriously man what’s wrong with you? Would you want to buy weed that was infected with pm, bud rot or something else? If you wouldn’t smoke it why I’m gods name would it be ok to sell to someone else to smoke????
Further more it doesn’t solve his problem. If he’s going to continue to grow shouldn’t he figure out the cause of the problem so he can ensure he doesn’t encounter it again on his next grow? Maybe it’s fixable at this point we have very little info to go off of, but I can see from your responses that facts and logic don’t apply to your way of thinking.

Ponky

Ponky

Why do you keep telling him to sell it to people who are unaware of the problem? Seriously man what’s wrong with you? Would you want to buy weed that was infected with pm, bud rot or something else? If you wouldn’t smoke it why I’m gods name would it be ok to sell to someone else to smoke????
Further more it doesn’t solve his problem. If he’s going to continue to grow shouldn’t he figure out the cause of the problem so he can ensure he doesn’t encounter it again on his next grow? Maybe it’s fixable at this point we have very little info to go off of, but I can see from your responses that facts and logic don’t apply to your way of thinking.
Because there are people like you that just smoke PM on purpose. PM isn't fixable. No one says he has to lie. Take your PM weed and sell it for what it is. The problem comes down to air circulation and genetics. It's PM. If you grow your own smoke it's so you don't have to smoke PM. So. It's pretty simple. Improve air flow. Get more robust plants. Grow more. The lesson to learn is once you see PM it goes quick. You don't wait and see. You get rid of the infestation. Very little info? It has the spots. It's over. Never get attached to things you kill in a few months. If you want to salvage it. Make extract. If you want to see how bad it is use a black light. Don't smoke fungus. Let the bargain hunters smoke fungus.

Conclusion: the shitty genetics and conditions caused PM. Clean the space. Get new plants. Increase your air flow. And if you have a whole crop you messed up with fungus make extract.

Top Bottom