(Autoflower) Light Schedule Change Effects? Question

• Thread starter lizxfun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lizxfun

lizxfun

Hi everyone, my first post here and my first grow ever! All going well.

So I'm a day or two away from harvesting a photo-period plant in my grow room. It's on a 12/12 cycle. I have 3 more photo-periods ready to be put inside the grow tent, I've been waiting on my first plant to finish to put them in, to due to limited grow space/light cycle.

a couple weeks ago, I put a few auto flowers in the grow room, without really planning for them much 😅. My question is will switching the autos from 12/12 to 18/6(Veg hours), cause to much stress on them? Or would it be worth mainting the light cycle they're accustomed to.

Flowering strain - Highlander - Ocean Grown Seeds

Autos -
Gorilla Cookies Auto
Purple Haze Auto
Purple Lemonade Auto

Coast of Maine - Platinum Growers Mix

Autoflower light schedule change effects question
Autoflower light schedule change effects question 2
Autoflower light schedule change effects question 3
dbrzz

dbrzz

Autos dont care about light schedules. The more light hours you provide the faster they will grow. However, running 24 hrs no dark period, is a waste of electricity, and costly in the long run. The extra growth vs the cost factor of electricity, becomes very negative running more than 18/6 light schedules. 16/8 or 18/6 are the most energy efficient light schedules if cost per gram of bud produced is a factor for your grow. I hope this helps you in your grow.

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

To follow up, can autos start off 18/6 and switch to 12/12 in a productive manner? Theyd be going into a tent with a photo which is why i ask.

Badinfluence

Badinfluence

To follow up, can autos start off 18/6 and switch to 12/12 in a productive manner? Theyd be going into a tent with a photo which is why i ask.
Great question, I asked this locally and got two answers....that's why I'm here. That's crazy. I just joined to pose the question. Thank you

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Probably not, though sometimes I cut cycle to 12/12, leave them alone or add more time under bloom light I doubt it will affect them to severely. Pic is a 86 day auto though I did not cut cycle, usually cut cycle when auto is clearly female but will not flower.

20211102 154318
20211102 154306
20211102 154250
Badinfluence

Badinfluence

The thing that makes me wonder is I did a Bonsai plant for fun and when it was only 10 inches I flipped it to flower and it kicked in. Plant was 14 inches tall with like a half ounce harvest. However it was not an autoflower.
So with that in mind I've been growing plants to where I feel they are manageable in my tent space by just vegging until I want them to flower. Usually around 5-6 weeks. (25-30 inches tall). Since a lot of the Humboldt seeds I wanna grow are autos, I want to know if I can force flip them. Or are they like a lite bank, they need x amount to be done....?

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i did this!

ok, if you start an auto in 18/6 and swap it to 12/12, it will be smaller, but do ok.

if you start and end an auto in 12/12 it will grow up and make a few buds and thats it.

if you start in 12/12 and in about 2 weeks go to 18/6 it will be just fine.

they "flip" when they want to. mostly about 3 weeks give or take. ive had as early as 2wks and 3days.

i found some tricks to stall them, but that isnt the question.

start and end your autos in 18/6. that works best for yield.

Top Bottom