Autoflower pollinated by regular plant. Seeds?

• Thread starter Prospector
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Prospector

Prospector

So.. I've been growing outside for a while now (off and on for 30 years. more lately), and propagating my own seeds every year for next years batch. This year I bought and planted 4 feminized autoflower seeds of various strains and kept them with my regular grow. All my regular plants are mutt hybrids and I didn't know what strain they were when i got the seeds and they really are a mixed bag at this point lol, more like "bush" weed now.

So I had a male plant for seeding that I thought was far enough away doing its job with my "seed" plants for next year, but some pollen made its way to my autoflowers and after trimming my four plants last night, it looks like about 125 nice fat seeds were produced.

I've done some searching but can't find a definitive answer.

Will any of these new seeds be autoflowers as well?

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

Most likely, none of them will autoflower. However, they will all carry the RECESSIVE gene for it. Key word is recessive. As far as I know, there are no plants that have a dominant gene for autoflowering. So, you have to breed the dominant PHOTOPERIOD gene out of it, so that the plant only has a homozygous pair of recessive autoflowering genes.

You would have to grow some of these new seeds of yours, select your best male and cross it with one or two of your best females. Neither will autoflower. I would select for fast growing, thick stems, and short bushy shape. Make seeds with those. This is the second generation.

Out of that batch of seeds, you should get about 25% automatic plants.

Keep crossing your best autoflower plants together, generation after generation, and you will get batches of seeds that are more and more auto flowering. Like this...

Accidental cross = 0% automatic seeds.
2nd generation = 25% auto
3rd generation = 50% auto
4th generation = 75% auto
5th generation = 87% auto
6th generation = 93% auto
7th generation = 97% auto
8th generation = 98% auto
9th generation = 99% auto

In theory, you could never get to 100%. Just keep crossing your best plants with each other and develop your own breed.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
m8ty

m8ty

I noticed mine came out autos when I pollinated an auto with a regular male and get 50/50 females to males ratio.

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

I noticed mine came out autos when I pollinated an auto with a regular male and get 50/50 females to males ratio.

Really? I have never heard of that. They were ALL automatic?

Do tell, which strain of (feminized?) auto crossed with which strain of male photoperiod?

m8ty

m8ty

Really? I have never heard of that. They were ALL automatic?

Do tell, which strain of (feminized?) auto crossed with which strain of male photoperiod?

It was a seed I found in a bag of purple bud a few years back, I grew her out and she was a beauty, purple colorings, short and stout, but she looked all sativa, I took a few cuts to clone and pollinated her with an Angola sativa male that came from seeds from a Spaniard grower known as "la mano negra"

Well the clones flowered all by them selves soon after they rooted so they were useless, but the seeds I got from pollinating are fantastic, I sprouted 9 seeds with the perfect round circles at the top of the seeds (the females) for this winter's grow (I only grow in the cool months of the year) I'll post pics when they're flowering, but I can tell you what surprised me are the males that come out of these seeds, there are 4 or five distinct males, one of which develops purple pollen sacks and turns everything it pollinates purple and automatic. I'll dig up some photos so I can show you.

Last edited:
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Autoflowers can be polinated just like photoperiod plants, if there is pollen in the air they will find it and your auto will grow seeds but the plant from the seed will be unstable, they sell reg autos so you can try and breed them but it takes at least 2 generation's f2 and there sill unstable, most autoflowers are brought to f5.

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

It was a seed I found in a bag of purple bud a few years back, I grew her out and she was a beauty, purple colorings, short and stout, but she looked all sativa, I took a few cuts to clone and pollinated her with an Angola sativa male that came from seeds from a Spaniard grower known as "la mano negra"

Well the clones flowered all by them selves soon after they rooted so they were useless, but the seeds I got from pollinating are fantastic, I sprouted 9 seeds with the perfect round circles at the top of the seeds (the females) for this winter's grow (I only grow in the cool months of the year) I'll post pics when they're flowering, but I can tell you what surprised me are the males that come out of these seeds, there are 4 or five distinct males, one of which develops purple pollen sacks and turns everything it pollinates purple and automatic. I'll dig up some photos so I can show you.

Did you happen to save pollen from that one male?

The perfect round circle on the seeds didn't work for you. It has never worked for me either, lol

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

If you know witchh plant polinated your strain you can save the pollen grow the beans and start a new strain, thats how people breed cannabis, but i do wonder if you polinated an auto as you bring your new stain along i wonder if you would breed out the rundelis (what makes an auto an auto) as most autos are up to 10% rundelis over the generation's i would think if you finally got a stable plant i doubt it would still be an autoflower unless you added some more rundelis. Autoflower beans are hard to get just right allot of time and effort behond my experience.

m8ty

m8ty

Did you happen to save pollen from that one male?

The perfect round circle on the seeds didn't work for you. It has never worked for me either, lol

nah the perfect round circle works... they are females.

and the purple autoflower male is there in the seeds... One out of four or five male seeds produce that purple lad.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

So.. I've been growing outside for a while now (off and on for 30 years. more lately), and propagating my own seeds every year for next years batch. This year I bought and planted 4 feminized autoflower seeds of various strains and kept them with my regular grow. All my regular plants are mutt hybrids and I didn't know what strain they were when i got the seeds and they really are a mixed bag at this point lol, more like "bush" weed now.

So I had a male plant for seeding that I thought was far enough away doing its job with my "seed" plants for next year, but some pollen made its way to my autoflowers and after trimming my four plants last night, it looks like about 125 nice fat seeds were produced.

I've done some searching but can't find a definitive answer.

Will any of these new seeds be autoflowers as well?
Funny what you find researching something.

No. If, a big if, they were pollinated by regular plants none will show the auto flower trait.

I will be doing just that with my Chemgopher and who knows what all.

Basic genetics, recessive gene won't show 1st generation. 2nd generation will show 25% autos. Those are the ones you want to stabilize. Back cross (keep pollen from a male of those 2nd generation or F2 autos) and pollinate an F3 auto. Those seeds should give you autos of whatever was the original pollinator.

Neet stuff, even if it was just a "mutt" as you say.😉

MW420

MW420

Most likely, none of them will autoflower. However, they will all carry the RECESSIVE gene for it. Key word is recessive. As far as I know, there are no plants that have a dominant gene for autoflowering. So, you have to breed the dominant PHOTOPERIOD gene out of it, so that the plant only has a homozygous pair of recessive autoflowering genes.

You would have to grow some of these new seeds of yours, select your best male and cross it with one or two of your best females. Neither will autoflower. I would select for fast growing, thick stems, and short bushy shape. Make seeds with those. This is the second generation.

Out of that batch of seeds, you should get about 25% automatic plants.

Keep crossing your best autoflower plants together, generation after generation, and you will get batches of seeds that are more and more auto flowering. Like this...

Accidental cross = 0% automatic seeds.
2nd generation = 25% auto
3rd generation = 50% auto
4th generation = 75% auto
5th generation = 87% auto
6th generation = 93% auto
7th generation = 97% auto
8th generation = 98% auto
9th generation = 99% auto

In theory, you could never get to 100%. Just keep crossing your best plants with each other and develop your own breed.

Good luck :)
[/if QUOi

WankirA

WankirA

Glad I bookmarked this thread...
Was given some CS last month and have used it to successfully acquire pollen from a Feminized Godberry...
So far so good.
In preparation for shits n gigs I have small godberry/ Krippleshock & hulkberry plants to piss about with but I just happen to have 2 autos (JackH & Diesel) both at week 6...
So with about 4-5 weeks to go, I couldn't help myself and got a bit o pollen in amongst them: a lower single cola on each.
So what CAN I expect from any seeds?!
From thread here and else where it's apparent that they aren't gonna be autos (that's fine by me) but what about flavours, vigour, behaviours etc how do these factor in any seeds I'm likely to get.
Also same point applies to the the alt photos if anyone can proffer anything? E.g
Godberry = 21%thc
Hulkberry = 28%thc
If Gb'y pollenates Hb'y how does that diddle with offspring or (e.g.) am I gonna get 10 diff genetics from 10 seeds??
Cheers

Moshmen

Moshmen

Glad I bookmarked this thread...
Was given some CS last month and have used it to successfully acquire pollen from a Feminized Godberry...
So far so good.
In preparation for shits n gigs I have small godberry/ Krippleshock & hulkberry plants to piss about with but I just happen to have 2 autos (JackH & Diesel) both at week 6...
So with about 4-5 weeks to go, I couldn't help myself and got a bit o pollen in amongst them: a lower single cola on each.
So what CAN I expect from any seeds?!
From thread here and else where it's apparent that they aren't gonna be autos (that's fine by me) but what about flavours, vigour, behaviours etc how do these factor in any seeds I'm likely to get.
Also same point applies to the the alt photos if anyone can proffer anything? E.g
Godberry = 21%thc
Hulkberry = 28%thc
If Gb'y pollenates Hb'y how does that diddle with offspring or (e.g.) am I gonna get 10 diff genetics from 10 seeds??
Cheers
I’m new to this game to but I believe 10 different genetics some with the traits you want and some without,
I think if it like humans brothers/sisters
And my kids are completely different.

milensky

milensky

Very interesting topic!
I had similar experience last year with my Black Domina autos planted outside next to regular Malawi Gold landrace. Apparently one MG male pollinated all BD autos and now I’ve got plenty of fat beans, half of em already set to freedom outside again. Excited about the results, will try keep some cuts of the new generation and do some research. Curious how genes would combine and which will be the dominant one. Will keep you posted 🌳🦖

Latest posts

Top Bottom