Automation / Monitoring: PREVENT SYSTEMS FAILURE

• Thread starter mountain
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mountain

mountain

Have a friend that lost a large flower room because a breaker went bad for cooling equipment and cooked everything dead in a couple of hours and reached over 150 degrees. Painful. Breaker had to be replaced and problem solved, but wants to ensure this never happens ever again.

What are options for automation or more importantly monitoring? He is looking for something RELIABLE that can monitor temp and ideally also lighting and motion (in case an overhead light bulb gets left on during a dark period, and motion detectors for break ins) and send a TEXT MESSAGE to alert immediately. Flood detection, fire detection would also be great. Dont need automation - timers and thermostats etc are already in place, just need RELIABLE monitoring and immediate notification in case of systems failure.

Have researched:

- Growtronix. Made for growrooms, monitors and can control temp, light, motion, smoke, flood, humidity and more. Requires computer and wiring. System fails if computer restarts/fails, some problems with digital ballasts. $800-1200 depending on # sensors and config. http://growtronix.com/store/

- Zwave. Made for smart home automation, with many many functions although not packaged together just for grow application. Wireless 802.11 connections, no need for wires, each device acts as a repeater. Base unit $300 looks like a router, looks like everything stays functioning even in event of a power outage (may want a UPS for added backup). $80 multisensor for temp/light/motion with text and email alerts. Not sure of reliability of sensors or base unit software. Could also run automation for just about anything. http://www.technologygarden.net/ind...ndoor-grow-room-using-z-wave-home-automation/

- Intelliclimate. Made for grow room control. Requires separate computer for text alerts (system fails if computer fails. Dont want to trust it all to windows). $2000+

- Greenhouse controllers. Various manufacturers, generally $1,500-500,000(!). Appear to be very stable, weatherproof, lots of variables, fairly expensive. Perhaps considered affordable in the face of the alternative. Some examples:
http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/cat1;gs_thermostats_controllers;gs_alarms_monitors.html

- DIY Phidgets/linux. Lot of potential, seems like too much testing, development, work, unknown stability. http://peterphrastus.com/drupal/

- Simple weatherstation thermometer units. units transmit wirelessly from sensor to base unit, base unit can send text message alerts for TEMP monitoring only - text alerts free for first year then / year. Wireless transmission distance is limited, not sure of frequency of sensor reading updates or reliability of system. http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Tec...6EU4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334565862&sr=8-2

- Looks like server rooms need monitoring of this type, stumbled upon this, but dont know where to start and not sure they would stand up to grow room conditions: http://www.itwatchdogs.com/

Some other possible options:

http://www.3gtrack.com/
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/535639244/Multi_Temperature_SMS_Alert_Controller.html
http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-lert-TM-WIFI220-WiFi-Edition/dp/B002YKU2Q6/ref=pd_sbs_hg_6

Have heard that some home security and some IP/webcam units can monitor temps and send text alerts, but havent found any specific units to look at.

What are those out there with large warehouses using to monitor and prevent systems failure?

Any personal experience to share on the above systems or ideas for other monitoring/automation systems would be appreciated!

mountain

mountain

More options:

---

$2,990 GroBot Monitors and Controls
Lighting
Air temperature
Water level
Relative humidity
Nutrient mixing and injection (Hydro)
pH
CO2 level
Scheduled flushing and cleaning cycles
Eight (8) user configurable external alarms
Four (4) programmable cycle timers
Webcam connectivity to watch your grow
Sends email or TXT alerts to you when needed

http://www.purgro.com/grobot.html

---

Also growroom control, looks similar to growtronix:
http://www.progroworegon.com/

ttystikk

ttystikk

Sentinel HID-2 HID lighting controller with built-in hot start delay and user selectable high temperature shutoff:
http://grow-gps.com/?page_id=211
And at $135-$150, it's a whole lot less than $1200.00- or a toasted growroom.
It's on the market, they just haven't updated their website.
Google 'Sentinel hid-2 hid lighting controller' for retailers.
It has lots of other nifty features too- battery backup, the ability to program lighting cycles on other than 24 hour cycles...

Olyver

Olyver

Go with Sensaphone, they are very reliable, unlike Growtronix, Purgro, and IntelliClimate which are not UL/CSA approved. Sensaphone units have been around for over 10 years, I've installed several of their systems in growrooms and never had a problem.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Go with Sensaphone, they are very reliable, unlike Growtronix, Purgro, and IntelliClimate which are not UL/CSA approved. Sensaphone units have been around for over 10 years, I've installed several of their systems in growrooms and never had a problem.

Hey Olyver! I just looked over their website and noticed that while these systems monitor and notify, they don't seem to actually take the initiative to shut down power in case of overtemperature. I'd like to be notified, but I want to know that things are handled whether I actively intervene or not. Am I missing something?

mountain

mountain

Olyver - thanks for the feedback on the sensaphone. Im going to do some research and hope you dont mind if I get back to you with questions.

ttystikk - thanks for the link to the Sentinel HID-2. Relays are in place that this could control instead of little $20 digital timers. Maybe a good secondary defense in addition to a more robust system with text message alert and sensors for floods and lights on during the dark period - at $116, thats pretty affordable insurance. Have you used these yourself with good results? Have found other timers incredibly had lights that remained on during the dark period and caused bananas (!) - do you know if this unit has LEDs or lights that stay on during the dark period?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Olyver - thanks for the feedback on the sensaphone. Im going to do some research and hope you dont mind if I get back to you with questions.

ttystikk - thanks for the link to the Sentinel HID-2. Relays are in place that this could control instead of little $20 digital timers. Maybe a good secondary defense in addition to a more robust system with text message alert and sensors for floods and lights on during the dark period - at $116, thats pretty affordable insurance. Have you used these yourself with good results? Have found other timers incredibly had lights that remained on during the dark period and caused bananas (!) - do you know if this unit has LEDs or lights that stay on during the dark period?

I don't have one yet but I am planning to spend my own money on one soon, if that counts. If you're worried about light pollution from displays, you can easily keep the timer outside the growroom- I think this is smart regardless- and the 4 meter cord to the temperature probe still allows for a lot of installation flexibility. I currently have a CHHC-4 environmental controller and an HPH-8 high power lighting controller, both from Sentinel. I couldn't be more pleased with their gear; no, it doesn't have the remote playlist doodads, but it quietly, efficiently and reliably gets the job done.

CORRECTION: The Sentinel HID-2 is a 24 hour cycle timer. It will not allow the grower to experiment with cycle lengths not based on 24 hours.

hiboy

hiboy

thats alot of great info mountain, great work.
im sure many apprecitate it
hb

E

EssBeeZee

Was the problem with the controller, or was the problem an overloading of the circuit?

If that were the only problem, you may want to figure out how many max amps you can draw if everything is on at once, and make sure you have the amperage to back it up.

*edit

I need to read the post and not justa few lines before I post lol

If there is internet where your friends grow is, he could put a camera in there, setup a justin.tv account, and make himself a private channel he can watch on his smartphone or laptop or whatever any time he wanted.

There are motion detecting alarms at radio shack.

As far as getting alerts or texts when something fails, that is beyond my knowledge, er wait....no, here's an idea. Get one of those security systems from costco, they can send you an alert when something moving is detected.

mountain

mountain

So, looking at the sentinel HID-2 HID lighting controller http://grow-gps.com/?page_id=211
as a secondary fail safe. They still also want something reliable with sensors for light and temp plus ideally motion/smoke/flood that will send text message alerts - but like the idea of multiple layers of fail safe.

Looks like CAP makes something similar to add to your existing timer:

Thinking through what happens with this sentinel HID-2 controller if the high temp shutoff turns off all the lights in a flower room during the light period and wondering about risk of hermaphrodization. Maybe an extra dark period wouldnt matter? Maybe it would stress them somewhat but much better than cooking everything. Perhaps putting the overhead incendescents on a separate timer so they remain on even if the HID's are shut off would solve the entire problem... There will be some extra timers sitting around if new sentinel controllers are purchased.

Has anyone used the sentinel HID-2? Does it turn the lights back on if the temp drops back down below the set point, or is some sort of manual reset required?

ttystikk

ttystikk

mountain, I only speak from personal experience, but I've had enough trouble with CAP equipment that I would never use their stuff again if I could help it, let alone trust something this important to a piece of their gear.

Everything they make is cheap, bare minimum, bottom-dollar, lowest bid garbage. Is that a reputation you'd want to trust with your grow, or your life?

ttystikk

ttystikk

So, looking at the sentinel HID-2 HID lighting controller http://grow-gps.com/?page_id=211
as a secondary fail safe. They still also want something reliable with sensors for light and temp plus ideally motion/smoke/flood that will send text message alerts - but like the idea of multiple layers of fail safe.

Looks like CAP makes something similar to add to your existing timer:

Thinking through what happens with this sentinel HID-2 controller if the high temp shutoff turns off all the lights in a flower room during the light period and wondering about risk of hermaphrodization. Maybe an extra dark period wouldnt matter? Maybe it would stress them somewhat but much better than cooking everything. Perhaps putting the overhead incendescents on a separate timer so they remain on even if the HID's are shut off would solve the entire problem... There will be some extra timers sitting around if new sentinel controllers are purchased.

Has anyone used the sentinel HID-2? Does it turn the lights back on if the temp drops back down below the set point, or is some sort of manual reset required?

I think the only way it would cause herms is if it happened repeatedly- in which case it's no longer about the gear, but rather something with the grow op that's the problem!

Click here for Sentinel's website: http://grow-gps.com/

Drop the guys a dime and ask about their gear- everyone I spoke to there was professional, helpful, friendly and knowlegable almost to a fault:

Phone: 877- growgps (877-476-9477)
Fax: 707-540-6097
Sales: [email protected]
Accounting: [email protected]
General Questions: [email protected]

opt1c

opt1c

sentinel mdt-1... has recycling timer and light timer; high temp shutoff... saved my garden more than once

mountain

mountain

Capulator -

How reliable have you found the insteon products to be? When you say you have your pumps on remote, how are you controlling them? You have a smartphone interface for the insteon?

ttystikk - you and your cousin aren't working for Sentinel are you? ;)

Ill report back how the Sentinel HID-2 HID lighting controller seems to work. Of course hopefully there is never a need to rely on its overheat protection features...

Still researching the sensaphone...

kushjunkie

kushjunkie

sentinel mdt-1... has recycling timer and light timer; high temp shutoff... saved my garden more than once

Also use Sentinel MDT-1's. They are very easy to set and the high temp shutoff works great.

ttystikk

ttystikk

ttystikk - you and your cousin aren't working for Sentinel are you? ;)

Let me tell you my story about Sentinel gear;
Part 1; I bought a used CHHC-4 and regulator over a year ago, it's working fine for me. I upgrade to water cooling, and my manifolds start condensating water and drizzling it down the wall.... and onto my sensor. Sensor fails, I call Sentinel. Jesse was very helpful, suggested cleaning it with anhydrous alcohol. I try that. No dice. So, knowing full well that I bought the equipment secondhand, he gave me an RMA # and refused to take any money for repairing the remote sensor! He wouldn't even take money for the return freight. I moved the sensor location to someplace where it's not going to get rained on, and it's been 100% ever since.

Part 2; I was looking for an 8 light controller on craigslist, and found a guy who was upgrading from his HPH-8 high power controller to a Powerbox unit. Less than a week after he got his Powerbox it fried on him, and he decided not to sell the HPH-8 to me, lol. I found another one at a consignment shop, bought it for $100 and it's been 100% reliable.

When you find a maker of quality gear who stands behind it like that, you SHOUT IT FROM THE FUCKIN' ROOFTOPS. This way, I can do my bit to make sure they turn a profit on their kindness to me in my hour of need, and in turn they'll be there when I need more equipment I can trust with my girls, nevermind trust not to burn the house down, right?

mountain

mountain

Been checking out the iponic 600 line:

Anyone have any experience with this one? Most interested in using it for monitoring and emergency text alerts in case of overheat/break in/fire/lights on during dark period/flood.

S

serpent

that sentinal hid-2 save my ass when my vent fan went out.has a programable high temp shut off,in case 93 is not hot enough for you.nice timer with built in back up battery.two programable outlets.

mountain

mountain

Trying to get a good idea of what the differences are between the Sentinel HID-2 HID and the MDT-1. Seem to have the same features - maybe im just being dense. Can anyone share a side by side comparison or a link to one?

Latest posts

Top Bottom