autopots

• Thread starter DR BLOGSS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DR BLOGSS

are autopots a good thing?
are they that easy to set up?
ive just got some for next time i grow.using coco mix with 1/3 perlite.growing well this way.
but they say u can leave autopots 2/3 days.
should i do what im doing or change?
please leave your replys
thanks blogss

S

Scythe

I have one. I like it. No electricity, so you can go away for a few days. No recirculation, so you don't have to check the pH and EC all the time. No drain to waste either, so it saves water and nutrients.

I did some research, and the oxygen getting to the roots might not be as much as in other systems, but you never know if that guy knew what he was talking about. Maybe he assumed it was just a bottom waterer, not an ebb and flow. (Ebb and flow gets oxygen to the roots, cuz the "flow" pushes out old air, and the "ebb" sucks new air in.)

After many years of use, the silicon valve stopper might need to be replaced. One guy had a flood cuz of that, but hey, all hydro systems have their little quirks like that, the main one being if electricity goes out or a pump fails, you're in trouble. Autopots don't have that problem. They can clog, but so can other systems.

I read it's good to put an air stone in the reservoir, but I don't have one yet. Plant's doing good.

Only downside is the smartvalve is a little expensive for what it is. Some people use the valve in a tray, serving more than one pot, and save a lot of money. But I figure it's not that much. The no electricity factor is the good part unless you want to spend a bunch on a generator. (Good idea anyway.)

D

dirtman63

Wow! Those are looking awsome ,can you thow some pics up when there done?Good Job.I was wondering about putting an air stone in the res.what are the demesions of the pots?I would like to do hydro but power is loss alot were i live.Take Care & Stay Safe!

S

Scythe

The pots are a little small for big plants, but building your own tray lets you use any size pot. I heard you shouldn't use one smartvalve for too many pots, though, cuz then it will be opening and closing too frequently and wear out the valves. The pot's probably fine for SOG, but not giant monster plants.

Oh, regarding what I said about the guy who's valve wore out after a few years and caused a flood, I recently saw that there's an optional flood valve you can install. They thought of everything!

Top Bottom