B8KD's First Grow - Outdoor - LA Kush Cake, Casper OG, Hazmat OG & Do-Si-Dos F2

• Thread starter b8kd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
b8kd

b8kd

Hello Everyone - This is my first grow and it happens to be outdoors. I'm in Bend, OR and I'm starting with four (4) clones that were picked up from Archive Seed Bank on May 9th. I'll be keeping them on my deck which is fully southern facing. We do have some really cold nights coming up over the next two weeks so if after seeing my setup someone has advice on how to handle these temps feel free to throw it out there.

The strains are:
  • LA Kush Cake
  • Casper OG
  • Hazmat OG
  • Do-Si-Dos F2
I transplanted each of the clones on Sunday, May 10th into 10 gallon fabric smart pots using Foxfarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil. I've been told this medium should keep the girls happy for at least a month or two but would love to hear from others on their experience.

La kush cake
Casper og
Hazmat og
Do si dos f2

I plan to eventually do some indoor growing but the timing was perfect up here for the outdoor grow and I was really lucky to pick these four clones up on Saturday. Clones from Archive Seed Bank seem to be selling out daily around here.

I'm open to all the advice I can get and hope to act like a sponge and absorb as much of this info as possible. I'll also try to do as much searching on this forum before reaching out for answers. I come from a high tech background so I completely understand being frustrated with newbies that aren't willing to do a little work for themselves.

Oh, and one questions that seems pretty simple, but is giving my OCD mind some problems.........since I started from clones, and I'm not exactly sure how many days they've been growing, how should I title or track my posts so that it's most beneficial for me and everyone else? Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc??

Cheers Everyone and I am just so darn glad to be here.

B8KD

the rrock

the rrock

How many hours of light did the clone store run per day. I’ve seen clones flower in late may moved outdoors from the 24 hr lighting they were used to

b8kd

b8kd

How many hours of light did the clone store run per day. I’ve seen clones flower in late may moved outdoors from the 24 hr lighting they were used to
Hi The Rrock - I'll have to check with Archive tomorrow to get an answer to that question. I really don't know. Your the first person to mention this to me and I guess I see how that could be possible. Will get back to you tomorrow since they closed about 45 mins ago. Thanks for reading my post and providing some feedback. It's all appreciated. B8KD

the rrock

the rrock

Hey bro , quite a few people I know turns out just put out clones earlier than you(Bay Area) should be good, whatever happens keep up putting up pics and updates, sounds like you’ve got some good strains and 4 totally different. Are you gonna do any outdoor seeds. It’s never to late..Although in the long range patience is a key to success!

b8kd

b8kd

Rrock - Thanks for checking into this for me. Glad to hear some other people have them out this early. I've actually got them on Gorilla Carts now to make the move indoors at night much easier. Last few nights I had to put my big boy pants on and just pick them up. Ten gallon pots fully drenched are heavy. Here's what the weather looks like over the next 10 days. I was told to bring them in if it drops below 45 degrees at night while they are this young. So I'm doing everything I can to make this successful. B8KD

IMG 3874
Weather 10 day

b8kd

b8kd

Day four update after transplanting the clones. Afternoon temps hovered in low 50's and very cloudy with a little rain. Will bring them back inside in an hour or two to avoid having them out in sub 40 temps over night. Appreciate any advice. If someone sees something I should be doing differently please let me know. B8KD

20200513 Cart
20200513 Casper OG
20200513 Hazmat OG
20200513 DoSiDos
20200513 LA Kush Cake

Reactions: Ina
b8kd

b8kd

Not much to report today. Threw a little extra soil in all of the containers and gave them a good watering. I transplanted the clones on May 10th so it was four (4) days since their last watering. Temps are still a little chilly for my plants to stay out at night, about 33, so I made sure to move them back inside again tonight. Looks like two more weeks before nighttime temps increase enough that they can stay out. Have a good night y'all, B8KD

20200514 Casper OG
Tucked In for the night 20200514

b8kd

b8kd

Day nine (9) after transplanting the clones in Foxfarm Ocean Forest. Things are continuing to progress with no issues to report (knock on wood). Nights are still cold so continue to wheel them in after it gets dark.

I started researching various products for top dressing during the vegetative stage. Want to do everything I can for them as I'm sure everyone on the forum can relate to. Just don't want to pull the trigger on something I really have no experience with and end up doing damage. So research, research, research. Too many darn choices. Went down to my local grow store today (Green Leaf Garden Center in Bend, OR) to pick their brain on all the different offerings I've been seeing online. Luckily just about anything I read about online they have in their shop so it makes purchasing and asking about products much easier. But I run into the same problem I have online. Tons of differing opinions on what to do when and what products to use when I do. Kind of leaning towards "Nature's Pride Top Dress Veg" just because a few people have said they had good results with it and it seems to be fairly easy to apply if I'm watering from a hose.

Also researching products that will help me avoid all the little nasty bugs I hear growers talking about. The product that was recommended by my local store is "Pure Crop 1". I do see there is a thread for this product on the forum so I've started digesting it in chunks. Feel free to jump in here if you have experience with it.

I am definitely hoping to get some advice from the farm on top dressing during veg.

Thanks, B8KD

Pics below are separated by captions so you know which plants are which.

Casper OG coming along nicely.

20200518 Casper OG

These next two shots are of my Do-Si-Dos F2 which seems to be the runt of the bunch thus far but still looking very healthy.

20200518 Dosidos F2

20200518 Dosidos F2 2

And the next two shots are of my Hazmat OG. Seems to also be doing well.

20200518 Hazmat OG

20200518 Hazmat OG 2

And the last two pics are of LA Kush Cake.

20200518 LA Kush Cake
20200518 LA Kush Cake 2

b8kd

b8kd

So how much information is too much information in a newbies grow diary? Does any of this info actually matter that I'm posting? Am I tracking the right things for historical purposes? Am I asking the right questions? Guess I'll find out when I look back on this in a couple years.

Day ten (10) after transplanting the clones. Since I'm new I'm obsessing on everything. Decided to measure them and see what type of vertical growth they've had since moving to their new home. I forgot to measure on day one but took measurements eight (8) days ago and have been tracking their height ever since. The four plants have been busy. Vertical growth in (8) days by strain:

Do-Si-Dos F2: One inch. (1") Current height 5.75"

LA Kush Cake: Half an inch (0.5") Current height 7.25"

Hazmat OG: Two inches (2") Current height 11.00"

Casper OG: Inch and a quarter (1.25") Current height 10.75"

Each of the plants has about a 9"-10" diameter right now and all of the plants have been producing more nodes. In the past two days the range has been between two to six new nodes per plant. Very happy with how they are filling out. Wasn't really expecting them to do much of anything for the first two weeks after transplant considering how cold it's been. Delightfully surprised.

B8KD

b8kd

b8kd

Picked up some PureCrop1 today. Glad I have it on hand and will probably start applying a weekly preventative spray to avoid any of the little nasties getting on my plants. B8KD

6C275183 F41F 45F6 A480 0311273A25D0

b8kd

b8kd

Starting to figure out this watering thing. You'd think it's not rocket science but I tend to complicate the heck out of things OCD'ing on them. Even got myself a moisture meter which I'm liking. These babies are in 10 gallon pots which I'm learning might not have been the correct size to place them in initially but we'll see (maybe I should have stair stepped them into larger pots). It's what was recommended to me but seems to go against a lot of advice I've read online. So back to watering. Today was my third full soak. The first two times I just used the hose and slowly watered them till I started seeing runoff in the drip tray. That was on May 10th & May 15th. Today (May 21st) I decided to get a little more detail oriented and used a 2 gallon watering can. Each plant got a total of two gallons. I slowly added a gallon at a time, moved on to the next plant and finally circled back around so that the first gallon could start to really soak in before adding the 2nd gallon. The reason for doing this is I wanted to see how much water my 10 gallon fabric pots would hold at one time. So I just now finished emptying the drip trays for each plant and it appears that each pot ends up holding about 1.25 gallons of water with about .75 gallons ending up in the runoff. I'm sure this info will come in handy sometime. Just not sure when yet. LOL B8KD

b8kd

b8kd

Hello Farm!

Decided to add four more plants to the grow today. The first four were transplanted into 10 gallon pots two weeks ago and are doing very well. All clones have been purchased direct from Archive Portland. Six hour round trip from Bend, OR but so worth it. Absolutely beautiful drive with the Cascade Range in view most of the way.

Here's what we currently have growing and what we are adding to the mix:

Currently growing

1.) LA Kush Cake (Kush Mints x Wedding Cake)
2.) Casper OG (Ghost OG and Face Off OG)
3.) Hazmat OG (Original Chemdog 91 and Face Off OG Bx1)
4.) Do-Si-Dos F2 (Dosido x Dosido)

And here's what I picked up today:

5.) Duct Tape (GG4 x Do-Si-Dos)
6.) Rude Boi #7 OG (Irene OG x Face Off OG)
7.) Sherbadough (Sunset Sherbet x Do-Si-Dos)
8.) Do-Si-Dos F2 (Dosido x Dosido)

Funny thing is the Do-Si-Dos F2 clone that I picked up today is larger than the clone I transplanted two weeks ago. The one I got today is friggin huge for a clone and so many nodes. Will be interesting to see how it plays out having two plants that are from the same mother. I'm assuming they should be very close in stature by the time it comes to harvest. My wife originally named that little girl "Thor" because she is sure it's gonna be bad ass even though it was the smallest of the bunch initially. Today I decided to name the other Dosidos "Loki" since they're siblings and I'm trying to keep it in the marvel universe.

I'm also going to be watching the Rude Boi OG pretty close. I was lucky to get the clone. It was the last one on the shelf and they sell out daily. Since it was the last one it was pretty small in relation to the other clones I picked up. But it's physical structure looks fantastic so I think within a month or so it should catch up to the others.

I've also inserted a couple pics of the new Dosidos and Sherbadough clones. Super excited to try the Sherb. It's already sporting nine (9) leaflets on some of the fan leaves. One of the pics shows it well.

Also picked up an 1/8 of Sundae Driver and on that note I think I'll give it a try and head to bed! Night y'all. B8KD

20200524 Dosidos F2 B

20200524 Sherbadough 1

20200524 Sherbadough 2

Reactions: Ina
b8kd

b8kd

pH water problems. Looking for input here. Please help/confirm thoughts.

So I think my plant color issues are likely related to pH water problems. When I started this a couple weeks ago I had just started digesting info on this. Went to my grow store when it was time to plant the clones and one of my questions was "Do I need to test the pH of my water?". The answer I got from someone in the store was "heck no you don't need to pH test your water here in Bend, Oregon, I've never done it and my plants are fine". I now know this was bad info.

My clones that were transplanted two weeks ago have been fully soaked three times and are looking much lighter in color from the day I planted them, especially all the new growth, compared to the clones I bought yesterday from the same mother plants. I mean they are growing well but the color doesn't seem exactly right. When I see the new clones they are so friggin dark green and lush compared to the clones that I transplanted two weeks ago.

So my question is this......Can a high pH number 7.5-8.0 cause the discoloration (lightening of color on plants, especially new growth) that I'm seeing on the existing plants?

I've went and got some Aquafina bottled water (confirmed 6.0pH with no additional minerals added) to use on the new clones and some to also add to the existing potted plants and tomorrow will research a good ongoing solution for my setup. I'm open to help with with this also.

B8KD

60pH

75pH

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
So my question is this......Can a high pH number 7.5-8.0 cause the discoloration (lightening of color on plants, especially new growth) that I'm seeing on the existing plants?

I've went and got some Aquafina bottled water (confirmed 6.0pH with no additional minerals added) to use on the new clones and some to also add to the existing potted plants and tomorrow will research a good ongoing solution for my setup. I'm open to help with with this also.

Running a PH of 7.5-8.0 is way to high for your plants to uptake any nutrients. So you most likely answered your question. With the ph to high your plants will start to yellow out because of lack of nutrients, i would say from what your case sounds like a lockout due to the high PH. - 6.3 - 6.5, even up to 6.8 in soil! FFOF is hot, you shouldnt be deficient in anything yet. Maybe some more experienced users on the farm can help out.
I dont 100% trust my knowledge in growing as i still read from books myself.

@Aqua Man knows a little bit about water im sure. Maybe he can pitch in his thought, its way more worthy than mine.

Last edited:
b8kd

b8kd

Running a PH of 7.5-8.0 is way to high for your plants to uptake any nutrients. So you most likely answered your question. With the ph to high your plants will start to yellow out because of lack of nutrients, i would say from what your case sounds like a lockout due to the high PH. - 6.2 - 6.5 in soil! FFOF is hot, you shouldnt be deficient in anything yet. Maybe some more experienced users on the farm can help out.
I dont 100% trust my knowledge in growing as i still read from books myself.

@Aqua Man knows a little bit about water im sure. Maybe he can pitch in his thought, its way more worthy than mine.

Thanks for your input CosmoGrows! If the FFOF is that high I could completely see the addition of high pH water taking it over the top. I'll keep an eye out for AquaMan's response.

Will see what changing the water pH to 6.0 does for the plant color. I went ahead and gave each of the potted plants about 40oz. Didn't want to do more than that since I soaked them two days ago. In addition I will look into a longer term outdoor watering solution where I can control the pH of whatever solution goes into the plants.

A few testing devices should be helpful too. I just didn't want to start spending the money but I know I need the data in order to make informed decisions. Was thinking maybe the bluelab combo meter plus. I generally like to have as much data as possible and this device looks like it'll help with just about every test I need to run right now and moving forward. B8KD

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Thanks for your input CosmoGrows! If the FFOF is that high I could completely see the addition of high pH water taking it over the top. I'll keep an eye out for AquaMan's response.

Will see what changing the water pH to 6.0 does for the plant color. I went ahead and gave each of the potted plants about 40oz. Didn't want to do more than that since I soaked them two days ago. In addition I will look into a longer term outdoor watering solution where I can control the pH of whatever solution goes into the plants.

A few testing devices should be helpful too. I just didn't want to start spending the money but I know I need the data in order to make informed decisions. Was thinking maybe the bluelab combo meter plus. I generally like to have as much data as possible and this device looks like it'll help with just about every test I need to run right now and moving forward. B8KD

FFOF Is hot as in nutrient hot. You shouldnt need to add nutrients until 3-4 weeks in. FFOF soil PH should already come around 6.5-6.8 i believe. Adding 8.0 PH water on top of that would definitely raise your PH and starts to create problems. I would continue to water with a PH at 6.5 to get your soil PH lower into that zone where the plant will uptake the nutrients.

You could get a straight answer by doing a slurry test, it will get a close number on your soil PH level:

Or you can buy a Soil PH Pen, now, as i state below, im not a bluelab fan, but for soil ph, i dont mind using their soil PH tester, it seems decent thus far.

Let me give you this honest test though, before you go buying bluelab. And i do plan to post this test on the forum some day soon for users to see.

As you can tell i purchased the blue lab pen in december. I threw it in the trash in february when i bought my Apera sx620.
Blue lab pen is a nice top grade pen, but for me it didnt last, it was fairly inaccurate, and you cant replace the probe. Once its dead, its dead.

So this is what i suggest.

This thing is a monster, FOR HALF THE PRICE.
- You can replace the probe when it dies, and it will tell you when its dead on the screen. The bluelab pen didnt tell me it was dead until it started messing with my plants.
- Like i said, half the price.
Replacement probes are 51 dollars. So for one bluelab pen, you can get 2 apera pens, pretty much. (The pen with a probe + a replacement probe for the same price aas one bluelab pen)
- The pen even reads to the second decimal so you can get a super accurate reading.

They say the apera sx620 needs to be calibrated every week, but ive literally done it maybe twice since february? and im getting complete accurate readings. (Comparing it to the PH drops)

Just a tip to maybe save you some money, dont let that big blue name get you. Ive had both. And i will never go back blue.
I am not trying to be a Apera salesman, im just trying to save you some money! who doesnt like saving money?

PS: PPM Meters are useful, i also have a thermometer and water at 70 degrees. But, thats a personal OCD Thing, not everyone will temp their water LOL.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You can't do an accurate slurry test with aquafina, most bottled water comes about 200-500ppmof which usually is a decent amount of is carbonate, bicarbonate sources. While ph is important it's not that simple or as crucial in soil because the soil buffers the water ph. Now it can become a problem if the source water is very high in carbonate or bicarbonate and we can usually guess that most of the ppm in tap water is of those sources (not always the case). Ileaddy 100-150ppm tap water is a great source of water. It provides a good amount of Ca,Mg mostly in carbonate and bicarbonate form and we don't need to add any cal mag to it. And the carbonate and bicarbonate are alkaline sources that buffer and will raise ph. So using aquafina you going to get skewed results.

Now if you take distilled water usually a ph around 6.0 but the ph of distilled water is very unstable and will change very dramatically when exposed to alkaline or acidic influence, this is why it's great for a slurry test.You need to use RO or distilled water for the slurry test.

You can google your local water report to tell you what is in the source water. It will give you a ppm and a break down of what that ppm is. With that info I can help ya. If you need help understanding it just post a link to the water report or info on here.

I don't even ph adjust my water for my plants as the soil is your ph adjuster. What you need to be careful of is making sure your water is adequate enough not to impact the soil pH over time with high amounts of carbonate, bicarbonate or hydroxide as the soil is what adjusts the ph of your water.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Day four update after transplanting the clones. Afternoon temps hovered in low 50's and very cloudy with a little rain. Will bring them back inside in an hour or two to avoid having them out in sub 40 temps over night. Appreciate any advice. If someone sees something I should be doing differently please let me know. B8KD

View attachment 972692View attachment 972693View attachment 972695View attachment 972694View attachment 972696.
What a wonderful view off your balcony/deck! đź‘Ť

b8kd

b8kd

Bugs! What are these these little suckers? Wondering how concerned I need to be. They appear to hang out under the leaves more than on top. They showed up yesterday and I’m glad I have some purecrop1 on hand. Time to start treating the plants with it. B8KD

B4B4AAB0 3B9A 4683 BCC6 3F81670274A7
9C6A7074 6ADF 466D B6B8 1BBDA7244B01

Top Bottom