B8KD's First Grow - Outdoor - LA Kush Cake, Casper OG, Hazmat OG & Do-Si-Dos F2

• Thread starter b8kd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
b8kd

b8kd

This is gonna be a long post.

I've been addressing my overall pH problems such as 1.) not knowing my tap waters real pH number, 2.) not knowing my run off pH number, 3.) not having soil pH or slurry test pH. Problem solved. I purchased a Blue Lab pH soil meter that also measures liquids. I thoroughly calibrated it, tested the calibration, tested it again and then tested it one more time to make sure it was accurate and then proceeded to test the important things. What's my tap water pH that I've been feeding my plants? What's my run off pH?, Etc and other things like that. My findings are below:

Tap Water that I used for first three waterings over the course of two weeks on my first four clones - 7.6

IMG 4049

Tap water pH now reduced using Ocean Forest pH down - 5.6

IMG 4051

Run off from FFOF in first four plants using 5.6 water after two weeks, three waterings, of 7.6 water comes in at a run off of 7.2.

IMG 4056

Run off from FFOF using 5.6 water on four newly transplanted clones that were transplant today comes in at a run off of 6.5.

IMG 4058

The above number is a big difference from the first four clones that had three waterings using 7.6 pH tap water. Assuming pH of all run off will eventually be the same once I water the first clones a few more times using 5.5-6.0 pH water moving forward for the next few weeks.

Slurry test results (performed as outlined on this forum with distilled water and dirt gathered from a few inches down in between plant and edge of pot) came in as expected based off my run off tests. 7.1 for the first batch of clones and 6.8 for the newly transplanted clones. Of course there were differences between the original four clones and these newly transplanted clones based on the factors I outlined above (first batch of clones got watered with 7.6 water three times over the course of two weeks vs newly transplanted clones with no previous waterings in new pot before run off test).

First four clones slurry test.

IMG 4064

New batch of four clones doing the slurry test with only one watering @ 5.6pH

IMG 4066

It’s been three days since this test and the original four clones have darkened up their new growth considerably. New growth looks practically the same color as old growth so I think the change in water pH has done something good. Here's a shot of my Hazmat OG from today. Got about 4" growth in the last five days.

IMG 4090

Will continue to monitor this and also pick up a PPM/EC pen over the next few days.

Also, looking into an automated outdoor watering solution since I am now going to have to maintain some type of outdoor watering reservoir with pump, stone, etc so that I can control the pH and nutrients moving forward. Will hopefully automate this ongoing watering process so that I don't have to keep filling up a watering can.

And last but not least I'll end the post with a short little video update showing each of the plants as of yesterday. Don't worry about all the pollen/dust looking stuff on the plants. It's just that time of year here. Pollen everywhere. Have a lovely Friday. B8KD out.

b8kd

b8kd

My Sherbadough (GG4 x Dosi) clone had some discoloration show up on a few leaves three days after transplant. I’m referring to the rusty colored splotches and spots towards the tips of a few leaves. Disregard all the yellow spots and blotches all over the leaves. That’s just pollen from the pines. Any idea what’s going on here? The rest of the plant looks healthy and so do all my other plants. Just these three leaves. Is it shock from the transplant? Something else?

992EF674 A05D 42B7 A2A1 952E5A4F7BF5
7325F564 3BAA 4AB3 B430 FC384CD32099
7B6F6A7E 8569 4D6F A601 8ED8A23828C8
A40D7E96 CDB7 4A10 A741 7A654242CD34

b8kd

b8kd

Tonight I topped my first plants. I got really lucky and someone here in town, with a lot more grow experience than me, kind of took me under their wing. He has a horticultural degree and three years commercial grow experience so I feel pretty comfortable with the advice he’s giving me. He actually wanted me to top seven of the eight plants right now but he understood that it might be tramatic for me with this being my first grow. I just couldn’t bring myself to cut on more than two of them tonight since I haven’t done it before and this is my first grow. I topped my first Do-si-dos F2 and my Hazmat OG. Both of which have been in the ground for three weeks. I could’ve gone lower on the Hazmat OG but I just couldn’t bring myself to cut off anymore at this time. Baby steps! B8KD

7CBCB043 3CF4 434E 8D6F A4201DD6A14E

b8kd

b8kd

Not much to report. On Monday I watered the plants with 6.2pH water courtesy of Blue Labs soil pen and and Fox Farm pH down. Learning that it takes very little pH down to get me where I need to be. Each plant got a full soak with 1.5 gallons each and very little run off.

Today I spent some time picking up the various supplies I need to build my water & nutrient reservoir along with a good first pass for veg nutrients. Will add to this with some little extras down the road. Not quite there yet but making some good progress. Ended up with a recycled 50 gallon plastic barrel that has a screw top and water spout at the bottom. For $45 it was a no brainer. I’ll add my air and water pump to this but haven’t bought any tubing yet till I figure out the distances, etc. If anyone has first hand experience with the nutrients I purchased would love to hear your experience. The earth juice product line was recommended based on it hitting a really good price point for what it provided but I was steered toward botanicare for their cal-mag plus.

And last but not least I now have a Blue Lab conductivity pen. So I can test my ppm when I start adding nutrients.

Thanks! B8KD

8F15E24A C61E 4D28 8861 FCD0F4311B1F

F731CBEA 2C4B 4AA9 94AA 3FD0722F69DA

b8kd

b8kd

Just a couple updates.

Last Sunday (06/07/20) watered with my first nutrient mix consisting of 1.) Earth Juice Grow (1 tbsp/gal) & 2.) Earth Juice Microblast (>1tsp/gal) & Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus (<1tsp/gal), PPM 640 / pH 5.9. Each of the original 4 plants received 1 & 5/8 gallon & the 4 newer plants received 1 & 1/4 gal of the solution.

On Wednesday (06/10/20) I did a root splash using 2 Tbsp of DEM Lush Roots 840 to 1 gallon of tap water and gave each of the plants an 1/8 gallon.
9D984F09 51C1 48EE 9779 3C11FBC92E9C
59E2FCD8 653B 4635 9637 E65A608B4140

20907A88 73B2 469A B467 09BD0F65E14C

5F9BC67C 6E34 413E 9377 369381463855

b8kd

b8kd

Did a solid feeding last night. Slowly figuring out how to use this Earth Juice "Grow", along with some other EJ products, and it's a doozy. It really does a number on your pH. My tap water pH is about 7.6. When I mix the EJ "Grow" into my water it drops the pH immediately to about 3.7. Now the EJ website says this might happen and that you are supposed to wait about 12-48 hrs while aerating the solution and continue checking to see if the pH naturally rises before trying to increase the pH. If you see a rise they say you can go ahead and use it as is, without adding a pH up, but if you don't see any increase from the base number when you first mixed, EJ says to add pH up to desired level and feed. Well I ended up waiting 72 hrs instead of 48 while aerating and magically on day #3 that pH started rising and was up to 5.5 with a ppm of 750 by the time I decided to water with no addition of pH up. I now know to aerate the solution for three days each time before feeding. Here's what my recipe consisted of:

Earth Juice Grow: 2 tbsp / gal
EJ Big Bloomin: 1 tsp / gal
EJ MicroBlast: 1 tsp / gal
Botanicare Cal Mag: 1 tsp / gal
Mother Earth Heavy Brix Molasses: 2 tsp / gal

In a separate, one off feeding during the week, using tap water as a mix, I'm also supplying DEM Roots (Mycorrhizae) at a rate of about a quarter Tbsp per plant in an eighth gallon of water. Have been using the DEM Roots for a few weeks.

Plants seem to be very happy.

CF7B0796 762E 44E0 BE76 8F3CD3212745

4F687D1A C6AF 49A4 ACB3 6ECB2184854A

009130AF 4EDE 4CBD 8735 7C138042CAAF

Last edited:
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
B8KD, doing some computer work, so i apologize in advance about the short post. Just wanted to drop in quickly, I saw your post recently and figured i would quickly skim over your thread and see how things are doing. It seems like you're doing great, your plants are looking awesome. It does seem like you got the feeding thing down, Flower gets a little different, but your chugging along in veg just fine to me?
I see you went with the Bluelab options, not bad choices.

If anyone has first hand experience with the nutrients I purchased would love to hear your experience. The earth juice product line was recommended based on it hitting a really good price point for what it provided but I was steered toward botanicare for their cal-mag plus.

Earth Juice Thread <--- It seems as if earth juice has some positive feedback on the Farm.
Earth Juice - First Run Thread <-- Earth Juice Bud Pictures.

Keep on keeping on, and keep us updated, we're following along. We're waiting for flower! 😁🤪
Thread watched. 👌
Good work!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ladies look great.

I'm impressed how much you have self educated yourself and how well your tackling the challenges you have faced. Love the way the info and your experience and findings is communicated, it will go a long way to helping others.

👍👍👍

Not sure how I missed this

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Ladies look great.

I'm impressed how much you have self educated yourself and how well your tackling the challenges you have faced. Love the way the info and your experience and findings is communicated, it will go a long way to helping others.

👍👍👍

Not sure how I missed this
That and.....HOW ABOUT THAT DECK AND VIEW!!!!! WOW! 👊🤘👍

b8kd

b8kd

This was my smallest clone, and it's still my smallest plant, but not for long. It's a Rude Boi OG #7 from Archive in Portland. Long story short size doesn't always dictate quality. This was the last Rude Boi clone that Archive had that day and it was so tiny. Barely five inches tall but it looked super healthy. Fast forward one month and now look at it. Twenty inches tall and looking very nice. Someone mentioned that the leaves were "praying" and said that that was a good sign. I'd never heard that term used on Marijuana plants before so I googled it. Sure enough! If you've got a healthy, vigorously growing plant, and the leaves are reaching for the sky, that's a positive and it is indeed sometimes referred to as praying. I'll be darned. B8kd

b8kd

b8kd

Earth Juice Nutrient Update. Turns out it's going to take 2-3 days for the aeration process per batch. Just takes awhile for that pH to come back up to an acceptable level once you mix it. Currently mixing 20 gallon batches. My plants are going through about 3/4 gallon per day (it's dry and sunny here). That said, one reservoir for mixing is not going to do it. I need to be running two batches, two days apart from each other, so that I can have nutrients always available and I don't have to use plain water in between each of the feedings because the plants are getting thirsty but the Earth Juice isn't ready yet. Argh. So I guess I'll go buy another 50 gallon barrel. Luckily my air pump has eight outlets so I can use the same pump with an additional air stone. Was previously using two air stones in my current reservoir but the Earth Juice has a tendency to foam a little and if the air is too high it will eventually bubble over the barrel and create a royal mess. So I've learned to dial the pressure back on the air stone. ;-( B8KD

A26268B0 E409 4884 85BC 8E698C7B7115

b8kd

b8kd

Howdy Farm - Quick visual update. Plants are still in Veg and range in height from a little over two and a half feet to slightly over four feet. Currently watering at a rate of about once every two days with 2.5 gallons per plant. Every watering includes organic nutrients that have aerated for at least three days prior to use. Nutrients are typically measuring 550 -800ppm with most being on the lower end of that range but slowly increasing to steadily stay in the 700-850ppm range.

The sunset pic is from a few nights ago and shows six of the plants. The next pic shows all eight of the plants the following afternoon and the final pic is looking down on my Hazmat OG

b8kd

4579D023 B7C4 4EE3 92A1 0A59941FB6AE

26D37A56 6D15 4825 AEAC E6D200C6FDC6

9C599003 D0D2 4BE5 9C8C 1EFB00AF2726

b8kd

b8kd

Flowering started . Surprised that it started so soon, still at 14.5 hrs of daylight here in Bend, OR, but I guess with dusk and dawn accounting for part of that, and all the super duper loving I’ve been giving them, they decided to give it a go a little early. It’s funny because two days ago I accidentally feed them at 1050ppm when I was actually shooting for around 800 towards end of veg. But low and behold that was the right number now that they’re in early flower. Getting ready to hit them with another watering at 1060ppm but I made sure to change up the mix to transition to flower recipe. Also, before anyone comments on the low pH.....I’m using an Earth Juice Primary Plant Tea recipe and that’s exactly where the pH is supposed to be today. It’ll keep going up naturally.

Will be sure to post pics of the plants in a day or two once I’ve seen a few more inches of growth.

b8kd

E01B0D07 9264 4174 9AD7 20CB9617E370

A7BC06BC BF3D 42F7 B0A9 30EDD4FBD37D

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Flowering started . Surprised that it started so soon, still at 14.5 hrs of daylight here in Bend, OR, but I guess with dusk and dawn accounting for part of that, and all the super duper loving I’ve been giving them, they decided to give it a go a little early. It’s funny because two days ago I accidentally feed them at 1050ppm when I was actually shooting for around 800 towards end of veg. But low and behold that was the right number now that they’re in early flower. Getting ready to hit them with another watering at 1060ppm but I made sure to change up the mix to transition to flower recipe. Also, before anyone comments on the low pH.....I’m using an Earth Juice Primary Plant Tea recipe and that’s exactly where the pH is supposed to be today. It’ll keep going up naturally.

Will be sure to post pics of the plants in a day or two once I’ve seen a few more inches of growth.

b8kd

View attachment 1010040
View attachment 1010041
Your plants look happy as Fk! Going to be stellar!

b8kd

b8kd

Quick video update showing the plants. It’s long, about five minutes, perfect for a small bowl.

B8kd

b8kd

b8kd

Hi Farm - Five days since I noticed the very first signs of flowering. It’s still early but can finally see a little more progress and if I zoom in there is some definite trichome production around the pistols.

FYI....the above post has a video of the plants from a few days ago showing each of the strains.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

B8KD

1B0F5D8C 3FDE 410A BFCB D1D5E4F6A00C

b8kd

b8kd

Sherbadough with some early flowering. Can’t wait to see her stretch. Currently sitting at 40 inches.

Please excuse the poor iPhone photos.

B8KD

EC96F54A 8C9A 44E3 9710 CC2D7299CDA9

32C91874 4C98 44ED AE52 0EDA68910822

9AD8C10A 8A78 49AC 9C78 584C2FF94B7B

49BDA0BF 50B5 4967 9B39 E354A248B03F

5A55B725 7E6B 4C08 BD8E F0C25A5659CC

D82C7523 78F2 4BED 94A4 D456B6E63A72
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
pH water problems. Looking for input here. Please help/confirm thoughts.

So I think my plant color issues are likely related to pH water problems. When I started this a couple weeks ago I had just started digesting info on this. Went to my grow store when it was time to plant the clones and one of my questions was "Do I need to test the pH of my water?". The answer I got from someone in the store was "heck no you don't need to pH test your water here in Bend, Oregon, I've never done it and my plants are fine". I now know this was bad info.

My clones that were transplanted two weeks ago have been fully soaked three times and are looking much lighter in color from the day I planted them, especially all the new growth, compared to the clones I bought yesterday from the same mother plants. I mean they are growing well but the color doesn't seem exactly right. When I see the new clones they are so friggin dark green and lush compared to the clones that I transplanted two weeks ago.

So my question is this......Can a high pH number 7.5-8.0 cause the discoloration (lightening of color on plants, especially new growth) that I'm seeing on the existing plants?

I've went and got some Aquafina bottled water (confirmed 6.0pH with no additional minerals added) to use on the new clones and some to also add to the existing potted plants and tomorrow will research a good ongoing solution for my setup. I'm open to help with with this also.

B8KD

View attachment 977298

View attachment 977300
Yea, I shoot for a good solid yellow, actually. This way of doing stuff is far supeior than using a meter. This way is infallible, a meter is not, always remember that.

The plants look really good BTW, nice job

Be careful with online charts, because there's two out there, one for bromothymol blue and another for creosote purple, your interested in the Blue chart.

Index
860 SS pH
Last edited:
Top Bottom