Baby Grower about to start first crop

• Thread starter babybetty420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
babybetty420

babybetty420

hey guys, I'm super ne to the growing community though i have always had a passion for marijuanna smoking and the overall benefits. I currently work at a dispensary in canada and am hoping to start my first grow this year... i only live in an apartment so a closet grow would be my best option..
any ideas would be greatly appreciated

PK_Blunt420

PK_Blunt420

hey guys, I'm super ne to the growing community though i have always had a passion for marijuanna smoking and the overall benefits. I currently work at a dispensary in canada and am hoping to start my first grow this year... i only live in an apartment so a closet grow would be my best option..
any ideas would be greatly appreciated
What part of canada are you in and youd most likely wanna get led for lighting. how many plants did you wanna do and did you wanna do soil coco or hydro. soils easy to learn on then coco and the hydro be your more challenging way.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
welcome to the farm babebetty.
What is the size of your closet? Based on the size you can get different style of LED's to fit your grow. However, for the seedling stage all you need a T5 or a 7000 LED bulb that has full spectrum. For soil in canada you can use ProMix or some other organic soils. Just keep in mind that seedlings don't need much and if your soil has fertilizers and amendments to make sure to mix it with something that has no fertilizers.
Example; FoxFarm Ocean is a hot soil and it needs to be mixed with 15% additional perlite or peat moss or coco.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

I'd start with a 150w HPS personally, it's 100$ and should get you > 5 ounces. Air needs to move in and move out constanly doesnt have to be a huge amount, leaves should be contantly slowly waving to breath with little fans inside. (Not as importnt when they're babies maybe too much wind is actually bad) I'd go basic soil from walmart, peat moss small amount of fert or whatever and some buffering agent, any peat based simple potting mix is great then GH 3 part nutrients, start in solo cops, dont water until pretty much completely dry then move to a pot only twice as big or so then repeat. If they are not growing super fast and stretching out tall and wide you are watering them too often, i wouldnt even feed them till they are 6" to a foot tall, IMO perfect starting kit for a first closet grow.

I started with a 1000w HPS cause I was super cool lol I hadve a 150w HPS and it's incredible, I'll post some pics later of what that little thing can do.

This is just my opinion there are 1000 other ways to do it maybe even better, just what I came to.

Good luck! Don't give up and don't settle... if something looks not great this is the best place to ask for a second opinion.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I'd start with a 150w HPS personally, it's 100$ and should get you > 5 ounces. Air needs to move in and move out constanly doesnt have to be a huge amount, leaves should be contantly slowly waving to breath with little fans inside. (Not as importnt when they're babies maybe too much wind is actually bad) I'd go basic soil from walmart, peat moss small amount of fert or whatever and some buffering agent, any peat based simple potting mix is great then GH 3 part nutrients, start in solo cops, dont water until pretty much completely dry then move to a pot only twice as big or so then repeat. If they are not growing super fast and stretching out tall and wide you are watering them too often, i wouldnt even feed them till they are 6" to a foot tall, IMO perfect starting kit for a first closet grow.

I started with a 1000w HPS cause I was super cool lol I hadve a 150w HPS and it's incredible, I'll post some pics later of what that little thing can do.

This is just my opinion there are 1000 other ways to do it maybe even better, just what I came to.

Good luck! Don't give up and don't settle... if something looks not great this is the best place to ask for a second opinion.
IMO 1000w HPS for a seedling is a overkill and your electricity company must really love charging you. 😂

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

IMO 1000w HPS for a seedling is a overkill and your electricity company must really love charging you. 😂
Grow my precious! lol yeah, I start with a 150w hps cloning vegging ect then move them either to my 400w tent or 1000w tent, when i started tho yeah 1000w completely wasting for the first few weeksw lol, in Canada it's all free heat in the winter anyways so giver... 😆

What a humbling experience this has been for me, you just can't turn everything switch to max and get fat weed fast lol I def underestimated the complexity of growing indoors!

The power company gonna send me some free lights haha 😄

Reactions: PK1
Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Carbon filter with a filter hooked to a inline fan sucking the air out of tent moving it into the apartment will reduce smell. I dont care about location im gonna grow and make it happen.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

And not getting triggered here just posting maybe OP is interested I really do appreciate ur jokes I mean ur not really wrong, my 1000W costs $55 for 1 month of veg and $72 for both months of flowering = $127 for total grow, I got 1lb out of it (should have gotten 2? 1g per w) but i calmed down and got a 3x3 also and a 400w (tuned down to 300) to really learn it before going back to the big guy.

I have a crop drying right now and some plants under my 150w HPS and i might leave it under just to see what u can get with it

I will post some pics.. in an hour or so for OP, I really really love 150WHPS lol I'm sure LED's are great or even better but I'm still learning and finetuning this rig i got lol

One thing for sure is it sure is fun!

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

Here's the pics, nothing to brag about or whatever just showing what a 150w can veg and they've been flowering for 14 days now, 21" away.... I used to put my 1000W up to 14 inches away and I think you can do that towards the end but it sure doesnt like it the first 80% of the grow lol Not sure if I want to finish flowering under that little thing but you could def get a smaller footprint with more light intensity.
20210108 131159
20210108 131517

It's in a 5x5 but only taking up a 2.5 x 2.5 footprint was focusing on my other tent and just threw these in there with low light and I was surprised.

The light adds a few shades of yellow lol But they do look slightly less green on the insides... if anyone has any insight on that? I think i may have overwatered twice in a row then stopped because it was worse before.

And here's a 3x3 with a 400w hps turned down to 300w 6 or 7 weeks in
20201223 181115 1

I started using Wayyyy too much light and maybe I have overcorrected and could give it more to get more weight... not sure tho we'll see how these go, looks can be deceiving for weight sometimes.

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

I've grown lots of buds with a 150w hps. Not the best light for seedlings though. CFL or t5 beats led or hps hands down.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

I've grown lots of buds with a 150w hps. Not the best light for seedlings though. CFL or t5 beats led or hps hands down.
I agree maybe it would be worth buying the extra couple bucks for a seedling/cloning light, yeah t5's never failed for me.

Top Bottom