Backers of pot legalization initiative launch first radio spot

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

The ad airing in the Bay Area and L.A. features a former L.A. County sheriff's deputy who says that the fight against the drug has led to drug cartels. An opponent calls the ad misleading.

March 29, 2010|By John Hoeffel

The campaign to legalize marijuana in California kicked off this week, just days after the initiative made the ballot, with a radio ad saying many law enforcement professionals know marijuana laws have failed and calling the measure "a common sense solution."

The ad features Jeffrey Studdard, a former school district police officer and reserve L.A. County sheriff's deputy. Studdard says that he has "seen firsthand that the current approach on cannabis is simply not working," explaining that the fight against marijuana has led to "violent drug cartels" and "dealers in our schools and our streets" without reducing consumption.
Advertisement

He concludes by saying the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, which would allow cities and counties to authorize pot sales and tax them, would raise billions and allow police to focus on violent crime.

Kim Raney, chief of the Covina Police Department and a spokesman for the California Police Chiefs Assn., called the ad "completely false and misleading."

He predicted that law enforcement groups would line up against the initiative. "This is really the first attempt to legalize drugs," he said. "This is just a Trojan horse. The first of an incremental strategic attempt."

Previewing the coming debate, he took issue with Studdard's contention that marijuana prohibition has spawned cartels and the implication that legalization would undercut them. "It's obviously naive to think that Mexican drug cartels and Asian drug cartels are not going to be involved, with all the money at stake," Raney said.

The spot, which lasts about a minute, will run for at least a week in the Bay Area and Los Angeles, but the campaign hopes to raise the money to keep it on the air and plans to add other radio and television spots featuring police officers, judges, doctors, teachers and parents. The commercial concludes by soliciting support.

Dale Sky Clare, a spokeswoman for the campaign, said, "The common theme has always been cops versus hippies, but the reality is that many law enforcement officers agree that prohibition has failed."

In the ad, Studdard says police officers support the measure, but campaign officials could name only two former officers in California, including Studdard, as well as a few former California prosecutors and judges. Studdard is identified in the ad as a former sheriff's deputy. He said he worked full-time for the Walnut Valley Unified School District and volunteered as a reserve deputy between 1990 and 2001.

Studdard, who taught drug education in the schools and made marijuana arrests, said he was severely disabled by a back injury in 2003 and tried pot.

He said it allowed him to give up painkillers, stimulated his appetite and changed his views on prohibition.

"It's not going to go away," he said. "It's been here for 7,000 years."

K

kushpheen

The picture of rich lee on the home page here makes me nauseous. If this were a true legalization debate I would be all for it. Instead we have, a dispensary owner trying to expand his market and limit his competition while imposing strict limits for possession and cultivation on his potential consumers to insure a captive market unable to legally be self-sufficient. Will the fines/sentences for possession of more than an ounce or cultivating in a space greater than 25sq ft going be greater than the fines/sentences we already have? Will the taxes from a sale of an ounce rival the current possession fines we already have?

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
25 square feet lol , What a joke . While he has giant grows going to take over the market . He's a funny guy .

D

Dmassive

I really hope this measure does not pass. It's just a ploy for the people who are currently running the med market to make more money.

Blaze

Blaze

This measure is seriously bad news. It imposes extremely harsh draconian sentences on anyone caught violating the new regulations. If this goes through we will be seeing more people going to jail and for longer periods of time for cannabis offenses. One part of the bill even calls for up to a SEVEN a year jail sentence for certain violations!

Richard Lee is a greedy bastard and does not give two shits about the rest of the people in CA, especially us medical users! The bastard just wants to make sure that him and his corporate backers have a complete and total monopoly over the industry if it goes legal. Vote NO on this one people!

S

SkyHi

Def vote NO fuck Richard lee why hasn't anyone takin him out.

K

kushpheen

The last thing we need to do is make him a martyr, that will just gather more support from the thoughtless masses.

Someone needs to communicate the message to LEO and the other people opposed to this measure to stop claiming how marijuana is harmful. Instead they need to be telling people how much this bill will cost the state of california to implement a new regulatory framework, how this bill will take away money from our economy, how this bill creates stricter penalties for our children and ourselves, how little this bill would eventually help our states financial crisis through taxes once all the social costs have been factored in. The old argument of saving the children and gateway drug nonsense, wont work here, they need to acknowledge and focus on this bills shortcomings and the people who are currently on the fence.

T

tcurtiss

I hear the ad on the radio the other day 107.7 the bone

Glad to see Oaksterdam is getting the message out

stickyicky

stickyicky

I hear the ad on the radio the other day 107.7 the bone

Glad to see Oaksterdam is getting the message out

The word is FUCK RICHARD LEE.

I feel like giving him a flat on the wheel chair he rides around in like he's bearing some kind of cross. I bet he can walk! Haha.

He showed his true side when the first bill did'nt even include the people that made him. MED. PATIENTS!!!

I'm sick of this guy championing "our" cause to achieve his goals.

Read his bill before voting!!!!!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
How about just giving him a flat tire then? Thump thump thump thump thump!

K

kushpheen

The spot, which lasts about a minute, will run for at least a week in the Bay Area and Los Angeles, but the campaign hopes to raise the money to keep it on the air and plans to add other radio and television spots featuring police officers, judges, doctors, teachers and parents. The commercial concludes by soliciting support.
Really? millionaires like rich lee and jeff jones, who have made their fortunes in the medical marijuana industry, are soliciting your support ($) to help them make even more money. Really? With the financial backing and support of billionaires like George Soros, they need to ask us for support? Really? Not only do they want to expand and control of one of the last free unregulated economies, they want you to help pay for it? Really?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Of cource they do and they think we are dumb enough to fall for it! We`ll see come November won`t we? What`s got me even more upset is how Normal and ASA are jumping on the band wagon even though early on they thought it wasn`t a good idea.Money or the love of it is so evil! Everyone just forgets the love for our brother in persuit of riches! It clowds our judgement.Funny thing is it never brings happyness or satisfaction.You just have to keep making more and more and become a slave to your pile of riches! You can`t take it with you when you die friends! You can take love and friendship with you. People need to put money in prespective.

K

kushpheen

Unfortunately since NORML and the ASA receive the majority of their funding from people like George Soros they have a vested interest in protecting and promoting the rights of corporations who wish to privatize cannabis cultivation, distribution and sales. These groups are no longer supporting the rights of individuals to cultivate medical cannabis for themselves. Its the reason so many states that have recently or are considering legalizing medical cannabis are making it a serious crime to cultivate for yourself, which requires patients to be dependent on state approved medical cannabis. Theres a movement all across this country to legalize medical or recreational cannabis while re-criminalizing or seriously limiting personal cultivation. How dare the people enjoy or medicate themselves without paying taxes or supporting corporate agriculture.

N

nor cali farmer

vote no for fucking sure. if you vote yes its like killing your brother or sister. we shed blood for the right to bear the bud now lets not give it away. vote no. this has been a public service speech for the right to bear bud and i approve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K

kushpheen

I'm not a facebook user but is it possible for some of you guys to infiltrate the tax, regulate and control's facebook page and spread the real truth to the 50,000+ people that have duped into believing this bill would benefit our citizens or our state?

C

chief greenleaf

Man yall have no idea how glad I am ta hear that everybody at the farm knows what this sleeze bag is tryin ta do! I just really hope that the rest of the MJ community in Cali see it too and havent been fooled into thinkin this bill wll benefit the MJ community.
Full Legalization just sounds like such a great step in the right direction and thats what worries me! I know there's a huge amount of cats in Cali that just smoke casually and even more that are pro MJ but dont smoke and the vast majority of them arent involved in the industry enough to understand what this really means and how much of a negative affect its gonna have on the community.
Im nowhere near Cali so there aint much I can do besides try and explain the bill on these forums. But all I know is that if all you Californians wanna avoid a monopoly and a huge blow to not only the MJ community but the small business community as well, yall gotta tell every mother fucker with a pair of ears ta vote against this damn bill!

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
Vote no for richard lee and any bill he puts forth..for our own good

F

Foxfarmfreak

Richard Lee = #1 Patients ENEMY

I'm hoping his fancy wheelchair ends up a tangled mess beneath an AC Transit bus with him still in it:sick0010:......Richard Lee is the SCUM of Oaksterdam and an ENEMY to the MMJ community, Capitalistic fucking douchebag, letting GREED replace Compassion won't get him very far, but to our surprise he just keeps getting bigger and bigger, some folks think he's a friggin' GOD around Oaktown. Little do they know:evilgrin0013:....... I only go to Oaktown if I absolutely have to. gotta couple friends down there....We should have some "Vote NO" signs made and I'll hang them everywhere, and I MEAN "EVERYWHERE", have truck, tape, staple gun and NO job, I can spend all day on this project, So, are there any screen printers near the bay here on the Farm? If So, PM me:anim_44:.....Thanks
Peace FFF:harvest:

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
LOL! I like your style foxfarmfreek!

C

chief greenleaf

Man I really think if you guys could just get the majority of the MJ community ta vote NO its will be enough ta keep the bill from passin. I was readin that right now supposedly 56% of California is in support of the bill. I just wonder if when calculating that they just assumed that the entire MMJ community will vote Yes, if thats the case then that numbers def a lil off. But I def think that if yall can get a large portion of the MJ community to oppose this it will offset that 56% enough to keep it from passing. And really anybody w/half a brain should be pretty easy ta convince ya know. I mean I wanna see the laws change just like the rest of us, but this just isnt the way! If folks dont wanna be forced ta buy their herb from Richard Lee they better think twice before they vote!

Top Bottom