Bad cal/mag batch

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

I forgot to post this a few weeks back. I bought a bottle of Botanica's cal mag. After 3 days my og's looked worse. I tested the solution it was 1/10th the ppm. The fool in the shop told me to take an extra bottle and pour the whole thing in. I hate stupid assholes.
I notified the company. A week later store was still selling bad product. Niether comp or store replaced with a good product. Suerte JK
Since I make my own cal/mag with cal nitrate and mag sulfate($1.00 per 100 gal) I only bought the qt/lt size.

K

krunchbubble

Premium Member
Supporter
hmmmmm, interesting. do you know for a fact its a bad batch? my og's yellowed up lately for no reason in my veg room and i bought a bottle last week.........tripping me out....

J

Jalisco Kid

Read the bottle it will give you a ppm for amount mixed. I believe it is 110ppm,not sure. Mine read 11ppm. Use your meter. JK

P

pikes peak 69

Hello JK,

I can get this here in town but without experimenting wouldn't know how much to mix in a gallon to make the Cal/Mag substitute.
Can you help with a guideline based on these links?
Thanks
pp69

K

keyplay

Hello JK,

I can get this here in town but without experimenting wouldn't know how much to mix in a gallon to make the Cal/Mag substitute.
Can you help with a guideline based on these links?
Thanks
pp69

Your source will give you technical info, Pike. These guys are really cool and they have nice prices.

I, too, had problems with the Botanicare crap. I have switched to MagiCal by Technaflora when I need a quick dose or Epsom salts.

Someone should start a thread called " Hydro Store Advice-The Bad And The Worse". Its a standing joke with us, not only are most of them greedy and arrogant, very few have actually grown anything besides warts and hair.:character0110:

G

guineapig

I as well have had an ongoing battle with botanicare's cal-mag products.....no disrespect to the company, but i have never had any good results with cal-mag.....i switched to MagiCal because it is the only other product locally available.....honestly, the best Calcium product i have ever used is called "SanFaustino" brand mineral water (do a search and you'll find out the specific calcium and magnesium concentrations).....used as a foliar feed and also directly to the roots, it is much more bio-available than the Botanicare formula.....

After much discussion and grow-room research, we think the best Calcium product out there is SensiCal from AN.....they provide 3 different kinds of calcium......i'm not sure what the best magnesium product out there is, maybe epsom salts.....

hopefully we will one day be able to buy a decent cal-mag product......

thats my 2 cents....

-gp

J

Jalisco Kid

PP69 This is one area I find hard to help people. I always here back that my ways fucked up their plants. What you want is around 150ppm of C and 65 of Mg. I also throw in fulvic acid around 65 ppm. You can run this through a nute calculator to figure out how many grams of the minerals you need. That place also carries some MAP which is a killer root stimulator with a touch of aminos. You should be able to buy salts by the lb. I pay a dollar for the first lb then .43 per lb afterwards.
If you like a product get the net weight og the product. Put that and the guarantee analysis into a nute calculator and it will give you a really close recipe to follow. You can make big bud and overdrive for pennies on the dollar. JK

P

pikes peak 69

Thanks JK.
I worked on my sisters car once. Did a tuneup, back in the 80's. Next morning car has a flat. Guess who got blamed for the flat for working on the car?
I understand what your saying, but you've always given solid advise and I ain't skeered to give it a try.

pp69

G

grizz

good advice JK. seems latly for some reason my garden is using more cal mag than ever before, bet the bad cal mag is why.Wish you would start a fert or nute line of your own. at least we would know what were getting. I will buy the first simi load.

A

astartes

I'd fill up a compact car o nutes as well, JK:) I just checked my new bottle of CalMag and it comes in at a whopping 14 ppm/mL. Thanks for the heads up!

a.

og dmc

og dmc

At 3ml per gallon it brings my RO filtered water to about 210 ppm. I got my jug about 3 months ago. 14 ppm, that stuff is basically water. Good to know. I am going to dod a side by side with botanicare line and canna. I have been wanting to switch for awhile,we'll see what happens..

S

snowkitty

My plants had some signs of the classic "praying for magnesium" look with the leaf tips curling up and yellow margins. A grower educated me on the likelihood of magnesium deficiency now that I am using RO water and a lightbulb went off for me.

So I went to invest in cal-mag. While JK was writing this post over here at THCfarmer I was at the hydro store deciding which one to buy. It looks like AN is discontinuing SensiCal and I LOVE Hydroguard by Botanicare so I went with the Botanicare formulation. Now I find gardeners not so happy with the Botanicare Cal-Mag...

guineapig, you mention that AN's SensiCal is the best cal-mag you've used. AN is not talking publicly ANYWHERE about which products are being discontinued but I think this is one of them because it is not on very many shelves and BGHydro.com has it listed as "discontinued-while supplies last." So what are your plans if that happens? AN is coming out with their new ppm-perfect system in a month and maybe there will be a reformulation and new name at that time? Who knows.

keyplay, thanks for the Technaflora MagiCal product info.

Here is the info from the back of the Botanicare Cal-Mag bottle:
10 ml of Cal-Mag per 4 liters of water (1 gal) will achieve:
Nitrogen (N): 53 ppm
Calcium (Ca): 84 ppm
Magnesium (Mg): 31 ppm
Iron (Fe): 2.6 ppm

The bottle also states that the desired ranges for aeroponics, NFT, and hydroponics is:
Nitrogen (N): 160-250 ppm
Calcium (Ca): 45-75 ppm
Magnesium (Mg): 160-280 ppm
Iron (Fe): 2-7 ppm

The product brochure for the Botanicare Pure Blend Pro line mentions "When growing plants with reverse osmosis water or in coco media use a minimum of 5 ml of Cal-Mag Plus during the first 2 weeks."

Technaflora MagiCal

Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus

Advanced Nutrients SensiCal Bloom

Advanced Nutrients SensiCal Grow

K

kierdog

yeah Botanicare keeps taking ingredients out. I've looked at the ingredients on the older bottles of liquid karma and cal mag and the newer ones are more watered down. I use roots orgnics now and am a happy man.

S

Seven

AN has quit making the Sensi-Cal! I am so bummed, as that is what I use also.

P

punkadc

...So I went to invest in cal-mag. While JK was writing this post over here at THCfarmer I was at the hydro store deciding which one to buy....

sounds like what happened to me... nothin but positive reviews, til i decide to buy a bottle, then this shit comes out...lol:D

Top Bottom