Bad weather and power outage

• Thread starter Varmit22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Varmit22

Varmit22

Had some storms yesterday in Michigan and looks like my power went out. my Growers Choice light controller and lights did not function as I would have hoped. It came back on in some sort of low power and stayed on continuous for 19 hr. So 7 hr to long. I was camping and just got home this afternoon. I am on day 18 of flower. I am putting into darkness for 12 hr and back on controller after that.
So after all that being said do i need to worry as much as I am about re veging or worse.
My first grow and the girls are crazy healthy tons of bud sites. Would die if they grew balls.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
i wouldn't be too worried after just one incident. revegging takes a couple weeks at minimum, hermaphroditism is a bit more hit and miss, depending on genetics. if one day too long triggers it, they would've likely hermied anyways.

Varmit22

Varmit22

Second time with this controller going into low power, after power issue. Had to unplug lights from wall to reset them. Power been for crap this year, 5 th power issue this year. Go Michigan

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Ever think of getting a UPS and generator? You can set it up where your UPS will come on when the power goes out and then the generator will take over. I have a 15$ nearpow timer and it keeps it's time even after a power outage.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
yeah, a UPS and generator are good options. Quality UPS are pricey (have one for the servers I run out of my house) but well worth it. You can even have generators wired in with a trip switch that when it detects a voltage drop on your main feed, the generator kicks on. The UPS serves as a means to either (a) give you time to turn things off accordingly or (b) run low voltage devices over a longer duration of time. Running hundreds or thousands of watts off a UPS simply isn't an option as most consumer grade UPS are only capable of a five to 15 minute discharge window when covering near max wattage capacity devices.

KDB42

KDB42

If you have that many outages Id look into a ups for your light. Depending on how much you want to pay some can stay powered for an hour or more. If the power just goes off for a few mins or flickers a few times it could stop your light from going into "low power". I would make sure you read reviews on them though some are crap.

Varmit22

Varmit22

We are looking into a 22kw house geni but we don’t have gas only propane in my area. But that’s country living I guess.
If controller would have functioned properly wouldn’t have been issue. Not sure why it just didn’t resume 12/12 ? Better controller maybe?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
We are looking into a 22kw house geni but we don’t have gas only propane in my area. But that’s country living I guess.
If controller would have functioned properly wouldn’t have been issue. Not sure why it just didn’t resume 12/12 ? Better controller maybe?
is there a battery backup in the controller? it's likely that it requires constant power to keep time. otherwise, like a standard analog timer, no power = no ticking. it'll pick up where it left off as soon as power is provided again.

Varmit22

Varmit22

Good question. Just checked, no replaceable battery but time is correct. Must have internal for clock? I sent an email of to Growers Choice to see what’s up and what to do to fix👍🏻

FirstBud

FirstBud

Had some storms yesterday in Michigan and looks like my power went out. my Growers Choice light controller and lights did not function as I would have hoped. It came back on in some sort of low power and stayed on continuous for 19 hr. So 7 hr to long. I was camping and just got home this afternoon. I am on day 18 of flower. I am putting into darkness for 12 hr and back on controller after that.
So after all that being said do i need to worry as much as I am about re veging or worse.
My first grow and the girls are crazy healthy tons of bud sites. Would die if they grew balls.
I have the e720, thinking of buying the controller, just 300 is steep, I had power out for 2 hours yesterday, scared the heck out of me, I very seldom have a power outage but if something like that ruins my first grow I would be pissed, not sure why the controller would do that and would be a little nervous in the future, if you speak to Growers Choice please post what they tell you. Good luck

Smithers

Smithers

It sounds like it’s acting abnormal. Hopefully the vendor will be able to provide troubleshooting info. Anything about this in the manual?

Is it possible the unit took a surge with the power outage? Was it downstream of a surge protector or plugged direct to the wall? It may have become damaged in the first event if it was not protected and the conditions of the outage were right.

FourPlants

FourPlants

Following as well. Was debating adding the controller to my setup in future and would like to see the outcome.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
ok... all good ideas, but for the immediate problem till you can fix things more to your liking, try getting a cheap smart plug ($7) and then program your lights to go on off with it, then if that happens, (power goes then comes back) the smart plug kills power then turns it back on (so a reset so the light wont run low power - which is the driver i would think not the actual light). you can control it from your phone no matter where you are.

you can go nuts and get a smart sensor ($40 - or any old smart phone you have will serve as a smart sensor and has lots of sensors built in) and monitor the LUX, temp, humidity, and even motion, so you know exactly how your tent is when you are away.

Anthem

Anthem

I had a similar issue happen with the Growers Choice Lights. I has some of the ROI680's and I was using a Trollmaster control to run the lights thru. I changed the amount of light the fixture was suppose to put out. I has switched to flower and the plants just kept stretching. They got to be over 78" tall before I finally figured out the lights were not shutting off all the way. This had happened before but if I just cycled the lights. (unplugged them for 5 seconds and plugged them back in) they would reset. The last time they would not reset. I did contact Growers Choice and they sent out a replacement light the same day. Just try and keep and eye on them to make sure they are completely shutting down after your lights on period.

Varmit22

Varmit22

I had a similar issue happen with the Growers Choice Lights. I has some of the ROI680's and I was using a Trollmaster control to run the lights thru. I changed the amount of light the fixture was suppose to put out. I has switched to flower and the plants just kept stretching. They got to be over 78" tall before I finally figured out the lights were not shutting off all the way. This had happened before but if I just cycled the lights. (unplugged them for 5 seconds and plugged them back in) they would reset. The last time they would not reset. I did contact Growers Choice and they sent out a replacement light the same day. Just try and keep and eye on them to make sure they are completely shutting down after your lights
ok... all good ideas, but for the immediate problem till you can fix things more to your liking, try getting a cheap smart plug ($7) and then program your lights to go on off with it, then if that happens, (power goes then comes back) the smart plug kills power then turns it back on (so a reset so the light wont run low power - which is the driver i would think not the actual light). you can control it from your phone no matter where you are.

you can go nuts and get a smart sensor ($40 - or any old smart phone you have will serve as a smart sensor and has lots of sensors built in) and monitor the LUX, temp, humidity, and even motion, so you know exactly how your tent is when you are away.

Varmit22

Varmit22

ECC0792E 0542 43B8 8D36 2E689A46280E
all great ideas and suggestions for sure. Just wish things worked they way they do in my head . It’s nice that a forum is helpful and not a bunch of trolls.
my first set of girls, I will always love them the most🌹
This morning after their 12 of rest
ECC0792E 0542 43B8 8D36 2E689A46280E

Varmit22

Varmit22

Talked to a rep today and all she had me do was unplug for the controller and unplug lights for 10 seconds for a reset. Wait and see👌

Top Bottom