• Tagged users None
R

redog

First grow:
Hydro Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?unknown seed
2. How old are your plants?2 are about 6-7 weeks old,2 are about 3 weeks old
3. How tall are your plants?see pics
4. What type of hydro system are you using?DWC 3 1/2 GAL. BUCKETS,2 1/2 GAL. of water
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using?Botanicare PrueBlend Pro,Liquid Karma,Hygrozyme
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution? #3-6.1, #4-5.9, #1-5.7, #2-5.9
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water?TDS Tester reads 60ppm,Truncheon won't give a reading?No lights flash.
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution?#3- 500,#4-590,#1-550,#2-570.
The biggest plants (1 & 2) flash10-12 times on the 1.0 light with a Trucheon,the smaller plants are .9 and 1.0

9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution?No Thermometer
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check?
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check?Rise
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?No
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")Floro's and now a little LED Blue
14. How close are your lights to the plants?See pics
15. What size is your grow space in square feet?A small bedroom
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?70's,lately 82-84F.Humidity seems to stay around the temp's.(If it's in the 80's,the humidity is up there also.Right now it's 70's and humidity are in the 70's range.)I am very suspect of all these readings personally because I don't know it all yet.
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?found two chiggers,tiny red dots
18. How much experience do you have growingNone

So,it's 4 plants,first two are about 6-7 weeks old with trauma in the beginning.Second 2 are about 3 - 4 weeks old under 24 hour light.
Ph is 6.8 from well water.Ph was adjusted this morning and all are up almost to 6.0
Nutes are Hygrozyme 17ml,
Liquid Karma22ml,
PureBlendProGrow 15ml
Try to get ph to 5.3 because I know it's going to climb.
Everything was looking good until about a week ago,now ,Three plants are showing signs of being off.

Bag seed starting to give me issues
Bag seed starting to give me issues 2
Bag seed starting to give me issues 3
Bag seed starting to give me issues 4
Bag seed starting to give me issues 5
Bag seed starting to give me issues 6
Bag seed starting to give me issues 7
Bag seed starting to give me issues 8
Bag seed starting to give me issues 9
Bag seed starting to give me issues 10
Bag seed starting to give me issues 11
saldiado

saldiado

looks like you did the right thing by lowering your ph. the cupping of the leaves could be because low humidity, sal

R

redog

I doubt it.I haven't been keeping up with the ph and nutes.Been changing out nutes every week.Ph stays at 6.8,climbs to 6.8.
Is adding ph down everyday normal?
Can these stay on 24 hour floro's indefinitely?
Haven't planned this out at all.No 12/12 room yet either.
I want to start off with a 250W MH/HPS fixture.Maybe two of them.
I guess my driving force is wanting to find at least one or two girls out of these four plants,then try and keep them going indefinitley.Is that being unrealistic with what I have?
I'll check the nutes/ph again in a bit.It's been 10 hours.
I bet there all up past 6.0
List above updated this morning at 7:30am eastern.

G

GigZ-16

I've heard of people keeping mothers in a vegging state for up to 3 years. I don't know if increasing their life span requires any special techniques such as root cutting but I know it is possible.

I have the same problems with my plants all the time. A yellowing of leaves from the bottom up means Nitrogen def. The darkening of the leaves in random places I dunno but would love to find out so I can stop it from happening to my beautiful ladies. And, one of your pics looks like the leaf may have been chewed on by some bugs. Careful though, accidentally ripping a leaf unnoticed and it looks just like the beginning of a bug infestation.

good luck.

R

redog

GigZ-16 said,
"Careful though, accidentally ripping a leaf unnoticed and it looks just like the beginning of a bug infestation."

GigZ-16,I don't see any bugs?
That thing your talking about looks like burn to me.Not bugs chewing on the leaf.
They seem to be doing a little better this morning.It's alot cooler also.67F
I bet when I check this afternoon the ph will be at 6.5-6.8 on all of them.

G

GigZ-16

If you really want to get to the bottom of the pH flux problem y not start experimenting to figure out whats causing it.

Heres what I would do and probably am going to have to do when I start my hydro grow.

Make a batch of your pH adjusted nute solution in a 5 gallon bucket. Make sure its light proof and you have the air pump on. Now watch the pH of your plants nute solution and your test batch. It sounds like they should be going up and down in unison. Record how/when it happens so you get an idea of the flux range.
Once you get the flux range and usual times of flux you can begin to experiment. Try making a batch of the test solution with everything but the actual nutrients in it. Then record the pH flux to compare it. And on and on.

Eventually you should find the culprit. Maybe its something your using for micros or something that keeps jacking that juice up. Once you figure it out, you can replace the culprit with a more stable substitute.

And even if you cant replace it for whatever reason at least you will understand more about the solution and be able to adapt to the flux.

BTW, this is all theoretical. This is what I figure I will have to do on my grow. I don't even know if this would work properly because there would be no plant in the test batch which may effect it somewhere along the lines. It's just an idea.

G

GigZ-16

GigZ-16 said,
"Careful though, accidentally ripping a leaf unnoticed and it looks just like the beginning of a bug infestation."

That thing your talking about looks like burn to me.Not bugs chewing on the leaf.

Look at pic #6 from the top. It looks cut or clipped off or something. It may be that the leaf was twisted and the camera caught it at a bad angle or something. Be aware though, when I get bug infestations in my growroom it always started by a few leaves with missing chunks before I finally spotted the lil bastards. I've never seen the bugs before the damage is what I'm trying to say.

But I'm no expert so lets get some more opinions on it.

T

Time

That N def may not be your problem man. If it is it's likely being caused by PH related issues.

Many enzyme products will cause PH swings in dwc or anything with airstones in the res and some products such as the Mulitzyme product by House & Garden even recommend that you do not use their product in a res that has airstones...

If they were mine I'd try to run 1-2 buckets without the hygrozyme for a week and monitor PH against the others.

IDK what ec you will have or what the TDS for 15ml of PBP, the 20 of LK, or the HGRZYM will bring your nute solution to but, at that size 150-200 ppm will be fine with the amount of light you're running there.

Get some cal-mag cuz they need it. Use it at about 50% strength until the plants are much larger.

Peace.

R

redog

Hey Time,what is IDK?
Your saying my ppm should be 150-200 ?
I did this sytem because I read Hererisssh DIY on DWC Buckets.Sounded simple enough,but in his tutorial he states that he uses Cal-Mag in RO water.This is well water not floridated water from a treatment plant.
Also,I already have reduced the amount of nutes going into the water compared to what he adds to his.
Isn't it better to give them less nutes than too much?
No more airstones.I have heated the end of the tube to crimp and seal shut then I drill or poke two tiny holes in the tube.Works good so far.
Plant number 3 isn't looking so good 24 hours later.The curled leaf now looks worse.More yellow.

30 hours later,ph was at 6.0-6.2
Quarter teaspoon of ph down in all of them and they're at 5.7-5.9 except number 3.It went to 4.3
I am going to start using an eyedropper from now on.
No one has said if lowering ph everyday is normal?

DSC03923a
DSC03922a
T

Time

IDK = I Don't Know

150-200 ppm should be enough for plants that size I'd dump the hygrozyme before I got rid of the airstones man, the plants need them.

The well water probably has enough cal but is likely lacking mag. You can get by with a weekly foliar feeding of epsom salt dissolved in water. Try 1.5-2 teaspoons dissolved into one quart... or just use cal-mag. If you don't have the mag your leaves will turn yellow.

T

Time

So the readings of 500 -570 ppm are way high?

Well I'm sure they can take that strong of a solution but, you will be surprised what can happen when you stick to the less is more plan.

Try a week or two with both less and more to see what is working best for you strain, medium, light combination.

Not all strains feed the same but, most won't need 500ppm with that small light when they are that little.

G

GigZ-16

Your idea seems right but too involved.

But I thought you were here to find what was causing the problem. It may be hands on for a couple days or maybe weeks, but if you don't find your answer I think it would be a great fallback.

Latest posts

Top Bottom