Battery backup

• Thread starter StonedBlue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Our electric goes out for maintenence a few hours every couple months.
I've got a new car battery. I'm thinking I could put on a trickle charger. Is it too power a small light source on timer.
If lights go out, there would still be enough light to keep from having a 6 hour light period, 2 hr dark 4 on.
Is this the easiest way to accomplish the task? I assume I only need a small light?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

a cheap harbor freight generator is your answer,couple hundred bucks for a little one,or you could take a 100 amp chevy alternator and 5hp briggs stratton lawn mower engine and you then have a welder and a gen,tons of vids on you tube could help you get started

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thank you
do like me,if i see a mower onsidewalk or street,i get it,9 times out of 10 they put it up with gas in it and it varnished,reason wont start,most time cleaning the carb does the trick just be careful with gaskets,there you a gen engine,i have a 87 suzuki samurai with 1.3 engine in it,im gonna replace with a 283 if i can ever find one,the zuk engine is gonna be a whole house generator running on propane,it cheaper last longer and not much of a gas line in hard times if you dig

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

do like me,if i see a mower onsidewalk or street,i get it,9 times out of 10 they put it up with gas in it and it varnished,reason wont start,most time cleaning the carb does the trick just be careful with gaskets,there you a gen engine,i have a 87 suzuki samurai with 1.3 engine in it,im gonna replace with a 283 if i can ever find one,the zuk engine is gonna be a whole house generator running on propane,it cheaper last longer and not much of a gas line in hard times if you dig
another tip for picking up mowers,if the back wheels are bent,dont bother,shows it was chunked across the yard in rage and more times than not engine already has internal damage

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
That sounds like a good idea and I have access to the needed items.
My goal with my proposed set up, however, is aimed at a different problem. A back up source of juice is good. But I'm concerned about being gone and electric goes out for an hour. That lack of any light in the middle of a light period is stressful to the plants. A simple 60 watt bulb should solve this as long as it has power during the outage.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

That sounds like a good idea and I have access to the needed items.
My goal with my proposed set up, however, is aimed at a different problem. A back up source of juice is good. But I'm concerned about being gone and electric goes out for an hour. That lack of any light in the middle of a light period is stressful to the plants. A simple 60 watt bulb should solve this as long as it has power during the outage.
have a transfer wired right into you breaker panel,they sell a lock out cant think of the name,but when power goes out it flip the gen on automatic,some have a setup were you have to go and turn the lock out manually or an auto setup,the whole idea behind it is when you do loose power and your gen kicks on the lock out,keeps from back feeding into the power lines ,keeping the poor soul on the power line from being electrcuted when he or she flip transformer back on

Top Bottom