Before I Hit "pay Now"

• Thread starter Scolymia7
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scolymia7

Scolymia7

Room is bigger, but grow area is 4'×2'8".

Going to make the switch from hps to led. After doing hours of research, *cough*lurking through forums. Ive decided to go with either the HGL320xl, HLG 550 or HLG 600.

My reason for looking at the 600, its a couple hundred dollars less than 550 for the 600 build kit. And not too much more than the 320. Is there a reason for this? Just skeptical because its slightly stronger but cheaper. If there's no reason, I'm just going with the 600. Unless it would be too much light for my grow area, then the 320 becomes my choice.

Currently I use 2 400w hps from young plant all the way through flower. Can I do the same with the HLG 320 or 600? Or will I need to use hps or mh bulbs for veg? I can't afford two quality led panels currently so I'm going to start with one and eventually get another if needed.

I know there's alot of led question forums, apologies for adding to the list. I did do alot of reading, just want a couple opinions before I hit the pay now button and spend several hundred dollars :).

Hope everyone had a great week!!

K

kansabis

Room is bigger, but grow area is 4'×2'8".

Going to make the switch from hps to led. After doing hours of research, *cough*lurking through forums. Ive decided to go with either the HGL320xl, HLG 550 or HLG 600.

My reason for looking at the 600, its a couple hundred dollars less than 550 for the 600 build kit. And not too much more than the 320. Is there a reason for this? Just skeptical because its slightly stronger but cheaper. If there's no reason, I'm just going with the 600. Unless it would be too much light for my grow area, then the 320 becomes my choice.

Currently I use 2 400w hps from young plant all the way through flower. Can I do the same with the HLG 320 or 600? Or will I need to use hps or mh bulbs for veg? I can't afford two quality led panels currently so I'm going to start with one and eventually get another if needed.

I know there's alot of led question forums, apologies for adding to the list. I did do alot of reading, just want a couple opinions before I hit the pay now button and spend several hundred dollars :).

Hope everyone had a great week!!
Not sure if you bought anything yet buy I believe the difference from the 550 and 600 is the driver,the 550 is a bit more efficient I believe,the 320xl could possibly do that space but if you got the money I'd just get the 550.

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

Not sure if you bought anything yet buy I believe the difference from the 550 and 600 is the driver,the 550 is a bit more efficient I believe,the 320xl could possibly do that space but if you got the money I'd just get the 550.

Nope going to give it a couple days. I want to make sure to get the right led, was hoping cost wise there would be no big difference between 550 and 600. Will definetly drop more money for better product. Thanks for pointing that out.

K

kansabis

Maybe you will get a few,more wise members to chime in with their knowledge and opinion,sift through some of the led threads and see who/what you can find.

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

Yea I'm still reading through sixstrings thread. Found alot of good information there but his grow is much bigger/more advanced than mine. Ive browsed a few others and he adds alot of good input in a few of those threads as well. I like what he says about quantum boards.

My main concern with the 550/600 was, "is it too much led for what I need". Then with the 320..."is it enough" I'll spend the money for better product. At the same time being on a smaller scale don't want to have a product that isn't being utilized and spend more $$$ than needed.

K

kansabis

Yea I'm still reading through sixstrings thread. Found alot of good information there but his grow is much bigger/more advanced than mine. Ive browsed a few others and he adds alot of good input in a few of those threads as well. I like what he says about quantum boards.

My main concern with the 550/600 was, "is it too much led for what I need". Then with the 320..."is it enough" I'll spend the money for better product. At the same time being on a smaller scale don't want to have a product that isn't being utilized and spend more $$$ than needed.
I get ya,as far as a better product,the 320,600and 550 are the same just depends on your needs and wants. The 550 may be a tad bit more than you need for your current space but not much,and remember you can dim it if needed,you can't boost the 320,also if you ever use more grow space you would already have the 550,with the 320 you would most likely need another light added in.

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

I like where your mind is at, I do need a bigger grow lol.

The the 320 is definetly not an option now. I'm going to have to sleep between 550 and 600.

Thanks again for input

DGP

DGP

dont these lights come with a driver that has a dimmer? Too much LED shouldn't be a problem if you can turn them down. I thought my fixture was too bright but by the time I got into my current cycle at 4 weeks into flower the plants wanted all the light so they are maxed out right now and the plants are really responding like I have never seen.

Dee

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

dont these lights come with a driver that has a dimmer? Too much LED shouldn't be a problem if you can turn them down. I thought my fixture was too bright but by the time I got into my current cycle at 4 weeks into flower the plants wanted all the light so they are maxed out right now and the plants are really responding like I have never seen.

Dee

They do dim, and good to hear your plants are loving your leds. My only experience with Leds are with corals. The last leds I had could only be ran at 35-45%, any more and I would bleach my sps. That is why I wanted to double check with 550/600. If I had to run them at 30-50% the whole grow, seems like a waste of money to me when the 320 is cheaper.

After what Kansabis said about going bigger made sense. I don't have any plans to go bigger but these lights are built to last, in a couple years I may upgrade my room size. Which is why im leaning towards the 550, that 3 year warranty looks pretty good lol :)

mikeb437

mikeb437

Dee

Is there such a thing as too much light?? I always figured the more light, the better as long as the heat doesnt get too bad.

DGP

DGP

Is there such a thing as too much light?? I always figured the more light, the better as long as the heat doesnt get too bad.

I have often wondered the same thing because the sun is quite a bit brighter than any artificial light source generally used in horticulture. The LEDs I am using produce very little heat after you get a few inches away. So, currently my plants are in the flower maturing stage and they seem to be able to take as much light as I can give them (at about 12" right now from a 60W/sq ft source) and I am not seeing any bleaching or burning of the top most leaves. I am wondering if at a mature stage the plants can't take all the light I can make at a safe heat distance (which could be even 6"....maybe???). Even young teenage plants don't seem to care about a midday sun intensity so why wouldn't they be able to get a high dose from some LEDs that run fairly cool. Good question.

Dee

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

Can't say good or bad yet......but from reviews and reading forum after forum. I feel confident about getting the 550.

GBAUTO

GBAUTO

From what I can see, the only difference between the 550 and the 600 is the driver. If I was spending my money-the 600 would be a no-brainer.

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

From what I can see, the only difference between the 550 and the 600 is the driver. If I was spending my money-the 600 would be a no-brainer.
The sell point for me was warrenty. The 600 is $750 and one gets a 1 year warrenty. $250 more on the 550 gets a 3 year warrenty. Just seemed like better investment. I dont know enough to say one is better than the other. I just liked knowing im covered for 3 years.

A

Ahimsa

Lol three year warrenty WASTE OF MONEY YOU REALLY GONNA BE USING THE SAME LED SYSTEM IN 3 freaking years lol it’s gonna be a piece of shit soon people are gonna see past the amazon China shit leds and then every USA based garden company is gonna to make their own high tech led mass produced I mean we are in a big change in the entire indoor grow lighting industry is going to make efficient cheap leds in like a year or year and a half lol really what a waste of 250 extra bucks plus you should buy your quantum boards from timber grow lights all othe sites have crappy set ups and the best materials you can buy for quantum board kits and they have way better priced board and better heat sinks and wiring is amazing and you can move them around they arnt all on one heat sink so you get better heat dissipation and so more light per watt and also you can position the panels to cover a big area or you can grow them in a small area like if your flowering or want bigger faster growth but timber lighting has best customer service and very personal and great company tells you when they start building your led and then packing after they assemble stuff like dimmer and power plug plus you don’t get screwed over with some warranty where timber will help out if your light breaks and will replace anything that breaks down that’s not from normal wear and tear like if you drop you shit in warranty I doubt it covers his man recklessness but lol sounds like a dumb idea to go with 550 vs. 600 each board can be ran at 155watts and can go a bit over but running them under 120 watts it’s a waste lol 550 watts of PCb all on a single heatsink lol you can’t even arrange them what a waste of watts unless your just flowering and or vegging in a small footprint because you can spread those boards out and get a really nice 2.1-2micro mol or 1.9 so I guess even though you’ll still get better than a 1000w double ended led but 600 or 550 in cobs would deff get you around 1375grams to 1500-1700grams I wonder how pcb yields per watt to Grams I’m guessing 1.2-2 Grams per watt just a bit better than how but

stiffneck

stiffneck

Pacific Lighting Concepts 6.2 is a bitchen light. It produces NO heat. It's fucking amazing. I believe they are $750 right now. That company also offered a loyalty program where you can upgrade your unit in the future for a lower cost.

That's just bad ass.

MissBotany

MissBotany

I have been checking out the quantum boards online and following the LED threads and I am seriously tempted to buying a few. I want to expand my grow room so I can clone dahlias and start perennials and tropical plants during the cold months. Currently, I have the blurple LEDs and my plants are actually doing really awesome under them. I seriously lack self control when it comes to horticulture!

stiffneck

stiffneck

I have been checking out the quantum boards online and following the LED threads and I am seriously tempted to buying a few. I want to expand my grow room so I can clone dahlias and start perennials and tropical plants during the cold months. Currently, I have the blurple LEDs and my plants are actually doing really awesome under them. I seriously lack self control when it comes to horticulture!

Are blurples the leds with the red light hue?
I just knew if I went and bought parts to put one together it wouldn't get put together. Was easier for me to just buy one complete. Like it so much I want two more. :)

MissBotany

MissBotany

Are blurples the leds with the red light hue?
I just knew if I went and bought parts to put one together it wouldn't get put together. Was easier for me to just buy one complete. Like it so much I want two more. :)
Yes. They have red and blue lights. Blue is good for veg and red for bloom. Combined they make a blue-purple color aka blurple. It’s acutally more of a bright pink color. Honestly, they I think they get a bad rep because most are made in China and a lot of people say they are cheaply made. I haven’t had any issues with diodes going out or struggling plants. Maybe I bought a decent brand or just some good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom