Beginner’s Indoor Grow Journal

• Thread starter Kushy Tushy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kushy Tushy

Kushy Tushy

This is my first grow.

Indoor set-up: 9x9x9 insulated room with 110/220 outlets
Lights: Sun Blaze T5s; 18/6 cycle and Hortilux 600w (not using yet)
Soil: Happy Frog + added perlite
Nutrition: Nothing added yet (plan on using Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow)
Airflow: A/C 10,000 BTUs of raw cooling power and x2 wall mount oscillating fans
Temp/Humidity: avg temp 82-88F (91F Hottest) and avg humidity 65-75% (32% lowest)
Containers: Plastic party cups and black plastic 1-3-5 gallon pots
Training: NEED HELP!!!!!!! Topping/Lollipopping/FIMing/Bending/WHOA! HELP WANTED! Please advise.....
Seeds: All feminized-GSC x2, Cheese Auto x2, Bruce Banger x1, Jack Herrer x1
Beginners indoor grow journal
Beginners indoor grow journal 2
Beginners indoor grow journal 3
Beginners indoor grow journal 4
Beginners indoor grow journal 5
Beginners indoor grow journal 6
Beginners indoor grow journal 7
Beginners indoor grow journal 8
Beginners indoor grow journal 9
Beginners indoor grow journal 10
Beginners indoor grow journal 11
Beginners indoor grow journal 12
Beginners indoor grow journal 13
Beginners indoor grow journal 14
Beginners indoor grow journal 15
Beginners indoor grow journal 16
Beginners indoor grow journal 17
Beginners indoor grow journal 18
Beginners indoor grow journal 19
Beginners indoor grow journal 20

Kushy Tushy

Kushy Tushy

Timeline

5/26/19 - seeds soaked overnight in distilled water and all seeds popped
5/27/19 - drained into paper towel
5/28/19 - planted into Happy Frog soil in party cups
5/30/19 - all seeds have stalks coming up; put under T5s
5/31/19 - green leaves came out
6/1/19 - all stems straightened up and leaves open (some seed shells haven’t fallen off yet)
30BF42FF 91DF 497B A8A5 EC0719DB331A
3153EAE0 44B9 42A6 9AB7 ECB5EFE55348
EAE9C6DE 2443 4D44 B50F 5D8892303C0F
01F656A7 4A2F 4A45 808E 7D96A7150C37
FB2625AB 0E78 43BF A7C3 DAFC3390622E
3C85FEA0 A4CB 40CD BC6B 1A5DB34B25D1
9D708907 33D0 49D6 A470 2B237A1AC566
2ECDDBDA B35F 4B43 98BE 18D7EE04EDB3
E18925AB 57AF 4EB6 903E 3FF75A507AB8
950C321C E599 425A 9C6E 6D24911493E6

The Jewels

The Jewels

The plants are a picture of health. Well done.
Many folks wait for the fith node and top back to the third.
Depends on how you want the plant to end up. ( scrogged, netted, caged, manifolded etc)
I am finishing up my second grow. There is some topping pics in my hydro journal.
I started to get an idea of how topping generated the final plant shape by reading axelrose"s journal around late January if this year. Take a peak there.

You have enough space to veg six plants for another 6 -8 weeks. However, if you veg more than another week or two, you will need to pony up for another one of those 600w hid's.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Super nice work on the room and the plants! Clean, organized and healthy. Sweet!

@Kushy Tushy you asked for tips and i have a few.

First make sure there is no light leaks through the window A/C. Most leak light.

And you can wait much longer to transplant. You have a nice space with high ceilings. So you dont have to train your plants down in veg really at all.

I like to see the plant about twice to 2/3 bigger than the pot before i transplant up.

A longer dry cycle between waterings will get the roots to branch out and fill the pot before circling. Even the seedlings i transplant usually lift right out of the cup by the stem. (Be careful trying this).

Both of these tips will likely increase yield. All i ever do to train is grow the plant as big as will fit in my veg tent. About 16-18” tall. I give a week in the final pot after transplant and then bend the plant down and tie it to a clip on the pot. Also i tie the main stem with a brace at the base to the opposite side to keep the roots from pulling up. There are pics in my thread of this. Its basic lst but i do it during stretch aftwr week 1 to 10 days in to flower.

Also. And this is the most important in my opinion. Environment! Temps should be in the 75 - 77 degree range for best flower quality. I panic if my room stays at 80 for long. I also move the flowers away from the 600 hps a bit like maybe 2-4” lower to help preserve trichomes during ripening. And also taper off the feed strength as they need less and less as they finish.

Other than that you have done your homework. Great grow man! Im jealous of your nice room.

Kushy Tushy

Kushy Tushy

The plants are a picture of health. Well done.
Many folks wait for the fith node and top back to the third.
Depends on how you want the plant to end up. ( scrogged, netted, caged, manifolded etc)
I am finishing up my second grow. There is some topping pics in my hydro journal.
I started to get an idea of how topping generated the final plant shape by reading axelrose"s journal around late January if this year. Take a peak there.

You have enough space to veg six plants for another 6 -8 weeks. However, if you veg more than another week or two, you will need to pony up for another one of those 600w hid's.
Thanks for the info.... I will check out your hydro journal and axelrose’s from January. I’m not sure yet about what kind of final shape would be best for each plant, I guess that just comes from experience. I will def check out your topping pics. I was thinking that they might need another 600.

Kushy Tushy

Kushy Tushy

Thanks for your help!

Light leaks - yes, the A/C does leak a small amount of light. I keep it on all the time now even during dark phase 10 am - 4 pm. It is currently set to 80; but I will lower it to 75. So 75-77 is best for BOTH veg and flower? What about humidity?

Transplant - I would have liked to wait longer to transplant, and then into 3-gallon pots. My bf made that decision. I understand what you mean about the roots, and I do the dry-out between waterings and water til run out the bottom.

Feeding - this morning was first feeding with botanicare, 1 TBSP into 1 gallon, per plant with run out the bottom. I guess they are 25 days old today. (The stalks came up 5/30.) And when/how much do you think I should be feeding now?

Training - if I don’t train at all in veg, how long should I wait? And what should I do next? Since I won’t be transplanting up anymore, they’re in 5-gallons now. And what is “stretch”? Is that the first week in flower when you do the bend down with the main stem? I have seen your pics and I’m going back to re-read them.....also, what about topping?
1696B12B A0A0 4049 BB3B AC922ABFD010
30079F26 F681 4B19 A8D3 A9A537B2BCA7

Lights- how far should they be from the t5s now? And if I just keep them under t5s vegging out for a while, should I plan to get another 600 hps? How many plants per 600?
Thanks........

Kushy Tushy

Kushy Tushy

Super nice work on the room and the plants! Clean, organized and healthy. Sweet!

@Kushy Tushy you asked for tips and i have a few.

First make sure there is no light leaks through the window A/C. Most leak light.

And you can wait much longer to transplant. You have a nice space with high ceilings. So you dont have to train your plants down in veg really at all.

I like to see the plant about twice to 2/3 bigger than the pot before i transplant up.

A longer dry cycle between waterings will get the roots to branch out and fill the pot before circling. Even the seedlings i transplant usually lift right out of the cup by the stem. (Be careful trying this).

Both of these tips will likely increase yield. All i ever do to train is grow the plant as big as will fit in my veg tent. About 16-18” tall. I give a week in the final pot after transplant and then bend the plant down and tie it to a clip on the pot. Also i tie the main stem with a brace at the base to the opposite side to keep the roots from pulling up. There are pics in my thread of this. Its basic lst but i do it during stretch aftwr week 1 to 10 days in to flower.

Also. And this is the most important in my opinion. Environment! Temps should be in the 75 - 77 degree range for best flower quality. I panic if my room stays at 80 for long. I also move the flowers away from the 600 hps a bit like maybe 2-4” lower to help preserve trichomes during ripening. And also taper off the feed strength as they need less and less as they finish.

Other than that you have done your homework. Great grow man! Im jealous of your nice room.
I turned down the A/C.....thinking about moving in there for the summer. Do you use the same temp range of 75-77 for both veg and flower?

The Jewels

The Jewels

You need blackness.
As in - the absence of all discernable light.

A T5 bulb can pretty much touch a leaf with only advantigous results. Look at Phylex (sp?) journals, his lights are always mashed into the canopy-and they all look like movie stars.

You can flip to flower anytime now. The longer you wait - the heavier the harvest.

With divided space , you could flip some to flower soon and pratice your topiary skills on the others during an extended veg. Cannabis will veg indefinitely.
Clone them, top them, try everything, have your way with them. During veg, it is only a bad haircut, it will grow back.
Your noodle dream will manifest itself.
Have fun.

Kushy Tushy

Kushy Tushy

WOW! Nothing like doing shit right! 🤩 I mean your whole setup...the room, lights, etc. That sure beats a tent...
Wanted to do a tent, but it’s too hot here. The room has been a weekend project since March :) it’s been really fun! Had a couple offers to rent it out from friends. I guess if the growing doesn’t work out it will be a one bedroom. With lots of outlets. I’m hoping to keep the growing thing going!!! Thanks for looking!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom