Beginner grow with some questions

• Thread starter jj71787
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jj71787

Hi all. I tried my hand at growing. The first plant could not make it past flower (lemon Larry)

I want to try again and had some questions.
Should I do northern lights for a complete first grow?

I have a 2x2 tent, viaspectra 150w light, fox farm ocean soil, tiger bloom nutrients.

Is anything else needed on a beginner grow?

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Not sure the strain makes a difference.

One plant in a tent with 150w will work.

What went wrong? How did it fail in flower?

We need to learn from your mistakes too. Details and/or pics help a lot.

J

jj71787

Not sure the strain makes a difference.

One plant in a tent with 150w will work.

What went wrong? How did it fail in flower?

We need to learn from your mistakes too. Details and/or pics help a lot.
I didn't post because when I did post the whole thread was just making fun of the plant.
I struggled for a few reasons nthe inside of the tent was moist for a bit, not sure why. It's normal now.
I didn't give nutrients until late.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I didn't post because when I did post the whole thread was just making fun of the plant.
Sorry to hear that. Never seen any nasty replies myself.

I struggled for a few reasons nthe inside of the tent was moist for a bit, not sure why. It's normal now.
I didn't give nutrients until late.
Without pics or good details I/we are just guessing at the problem & solution.

Maybe reach out to one of the staff in a PM if you’re worried about ridicule?

Otherwise tell us more please.

All we know is this is your second attempt and your first attempt failed in flower.

As for a wet tent... that’s normal as the plant(s) cause condensation especially at night cycle.

Do you have fans, either in-line or blowing on the plant(s)?

J

jj71787

Sorry to hear that. Never seen any nasty replies myself.

Without pics or good details I/we are just guessing at the problem & solution.

Maybe reach out to one of the staff in a PM if you’re worried about ridicule?

Otherwise tell us more please.

All we know is this is your second attempt and your first attempt failed in flower.

As for a wet tent... that’s normal as the plant(s) cause condensation especially at night cycle.

Do you have fans, either in-line or blowing on the plant(s)?
Here is a picture of her from the other day. She outgrew the lights.

I don't have fans because I saw a bunch of threads saying a 2x2 it wasn't needed. I can get one if needed.

PXL 20230127 225305709
Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I don't have fans because I saw a bunch of threads saying a 2x2 it wasn't needed. I can get one if needed.
Okay. This looks like she’s a few months old. The trunk is pretty thick even at the top middle branch of your pic.

As it’s not looking great ATM you might want to pick a good branch and make a clone just in case.

How old is she? Have you been trimming or doing LST? To many fan leaves removed.

The lowest branches, say 4 - 6, I would have removed already.

Hard to tell on the phone but I don’t see any fan leaves. Lots of brown and yellow leaves. Are they dry and crispy or limp and droopy?

What’s the unit or vent on the bottom right of pic? Does it blow air on the plant?

I can’t tell if she’s over fed or under from this pic.

We need more experienced people to look at this one. Where’s Aqua Man when you need him! 😀

A lot of things seem wrong. Could be any combination of light stress, heat stress, maybe wind burn, over feeding or under.

Still need details like: soil PH, light hight, is light at 100%, RH, etc.

If you have no fans how do you control humidity and/or temperature?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Hey welcome, You won't get any nasty comments until we know you better...lol.....as far as your plant goes I think she's done...there's not much you can do with her at this point. Clip off the dead leaves and dry her up......

Start a new seed and post here what you're doing... you'll get a much better grow and make some friends along the way....nasty gets deleted pretty quick..act nice or...you know.

If you need help germinating just ask there is info here that can get you through flower and people to help you with any questions you might have

You need fans 2 minimum one above and one below the canopy imho I used 4 in a 3x3.

Anthem

Anthem

Hi all. I tried my hand at growing. The first plant could not make it past flower (lemon Larry)

I want to try again and had some questions.
Should I do northern lights for a complete first grow?

I have a 2x2 tent, viaspectra 150w light, fox farm ocean soil, tiger bloom nutrients.

Is anything else needed on a beginner grow?
Over the years there have been numerous people posting similar pictures with the fox farms nutrients. I have looked at their 3 part TRIO I believe they call it and it does not seem to be complete and is lacking in Nitrogen and Potassium. I think if you can afford to change to something like General Hydroponics 3 part flora series you will have a much easier time with growing. The main goal is get the plant to finish so you have something to smoke. Also consider using a method to know whey to water. I always try to get new grows to lift up the pots and feel the weight. If they are not dry do not water the plant.

Insainvillain

Insainvillain

Looks like light stress or over heated. I’m nowhere near any type of expert but I’ve seen similar situations where it was temp control (Over heated). They ended up chopping it down and trying to salvage whatever they could.

J

jj71787

Okay. This looks like she’s a few months old. The trunk is pretty thick even at the top middle branch of your pic.

As it’s not looking great ATM you might want to pick a good branch and make a clone just in case.

How old is she? Have you been trimming or doing LST? To many fan leaves removed.it was planned in September. The leaves did start drying out

The lowest branches, say 4 - 6, I would have removed already.

Hard to tell on the phone but I don’t see any fan leaves. Lots of brown and yellow leaves. Are they dry and crispy or limp and droopy? Dry

What’s the unit or vent on the bottom right of pic? Does it blow air on the plant? Floor fan I had

I can’t tell if she’s over fed or under from this pic.

We need more experienced people to look at this one. Where’s Aqua Man when you need him! 😀

A lot of things seem wrong. Could be any combination of light stress, heat stress, maybe wind burn, over feeding or under.

Still need details like: soil PH, light hight, is light at 100%, RH, etc. First grow I didn't check ph, light was very close as she kept growing. It was at 100.

If you have no fans how do you control humidity and/or temperature? Good question

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ditch the fox farm nutes and get an extraction fan… it’s absolutely needed. Tiger bloom i have personally seen many growers have major issues with.
with your soil if you do a 5 gal you should be good for 4-5+ weeks before nutrients are even needed.

i cannot stress how much you MUST have air exchange for many reasons

growsince79

growsince79

Ditch the fox farm nutes and get an extraction fan… it’s absolutely needed. Tiger bloom i have personally seen many growers have major issues with.
with your soil if you do a 5 gal you should be good for 4-5+ weeks before nutrients are even needed.

i cannot stress how much you MUST have air exchange for many reasons
For sure you need an exhaust. I'm going to disagree with the bad ff reviews. I've used it and it worked okay. I know people who always use it with good results.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Missed your reply as it was hidden in the quote. I’ll add it here in case anyone else missed it.

Planted September. The leaves did start drying out. (So the plants about 5 months old and dried out.)

Foliage is dry and crispy.

You’ve had a floor fan on it for a time.

You said your first grow You didn't check ph, light was very close as she kept growing. It was at 100%.

You’ve had no ventilation in/out other than a floor fan and possibly the door/vents.

E

Edinburg

Although I don't like the weed NL is a very beginner friendly plant, large and high yielding it lets most begginer mistakes slide, here is a pic of critical mass, sow seed in at least a 3 GAL pot anything bigger and it will outgrow your light is a bit weak for such a large strain, I grew this under a 2 cycle 600w led.

IMG 20230131 054320
TSD

TSD

I think environmental issues were probably much of your problem, if you get that dialed in I bet you'll have better luck. Air exchange is crucial, I don't know who told you you don't need a fan in a tiny tent, but you definitely do. I would also top or train down so you don't get so close to the light and fry her. Also, 100% power is very strong on most high quality lights, best to start low and work your way up.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

VIVOSUN 4 Inch Inline Duct Fan 100 CFM, HVAC Exhaust Ventilation Fan with Low Noise for Basements, Bathrooms, Kitchens and Attics, Silver https://a.co/d/g5V8VEb

Are these 2 good?
I use AC Infinity myself but Vivosun should be okay.

4” is fine for 2x2. I assume it’s 6’ tall?

Mine sits on top of the tent with a flexible duct going into the top down into the tent. This pulls the air up and out from the top of the tent. You can then leave a bottom flap vent open and/or get a second, smaller, fan to pull or push air into the bottom section. (Small fan will circulate air around bottom of the tent.) small inline duct fan will also help with negative pressure if you care about that.

Try to get one main fan that uses a controller. That way you can set temperature and humidity levels and save you half the battle of keeping things stable.

You want one clip on fan to connect to the frame. This will circulate the air in the tent around the mid to top part of the canopy.

My tent is dark in flower until 7pm but it f you want I’ll take picks to show you how I have fans. Nothing special, I just vent into the room and I don’t care about the smell. If you do get carbon filters as well.

BTW the small intake fan should have a dimmer switch. Gives you extra control over how much air comes in. Helps later with temp and RH when dialing thing in.

Top Bottom