Beginner looking for advice with startup.

• Thread starter Kdot57
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kdot57

So I am getting my first hydro grow getting ready to start and I’m planning everything out and figuring what to purchase and trying to get as much information as possible. The strains I’m planning on using are Icarus Cheeze, Ice cream cake, and an auto flower strain that I forgot. The hydro setup I am using is ( https://shop.pahydroponics.com/3-pl...irponic-rdwc-system-made-for-a-2x4-grow-tent/ )
With a light setup of ( https://acinfinity.com/hydroponics-...ow-light-260w-samsung-lm301h-2x4-ft-coverage/ ) . Now what are good nutrients, root protectives, other equipment, and etc.. I should look to invest into?

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

You need first to decide if you will be running a live system with beneficial bacteria or a sterile system void of microlife. Pros and cons of each, I'm sure some hydro guys are around with more knowledge than me.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

I always suggest new growers starting out with soil first. It’s cheaper and easier and more forgiving. Some guys dive right into hydro there first go around and do alright, some don’t and get scared off. Good luck ✌🏼

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

You need ph and ppm calibration solution for your meters. If you got cheap ones you need to calibrate them before every use. If you got good ones, do it once a week just to be safe.
Dont over feed and make sure that your ppms are slowly falling. If your ppms are slowly rising you need to dump half of that out and use RO water to dilute.
Dont add to much to your pot. . . All you really need is nutrients. As a beginner I wouldnt be adding bloom boosters, silica, enzymes and whatever else people tell you to add. . . Keep it simple then do what you feel is right once your past the learning curve. There is a reason to add things, we can always add different things, but theres a time and place for it.
Nutrient line all of us are familiar with is Flora trio and calmag. That is really all your plants need to produce high quality weed. Now the bloom boosters will help bring out the terps and bulk up your buds, if you have issues, all it does is amplify them and make them harder to diagnose. Get 1 good grow under your belt then go wild.
3 plants in a 2x4 in hydro is a bit much. I would keep them down to a 2 week veg if you run 3 PHOTOS.
I wouldnt run autos, I would run photos so you get a good concept flowering and vegging. Make them do what you want for now, and keep it simple. . .
I use to run heaters for my live system while most people run chillers in their sterile system. You will find more help available that doesnt conflict when you run sterile. . . most people do it that way. If you go live, expect conflicting information from those who run sterile. Live in my eyes is easier in the long run, but does amplify the learning curve.
You can run your system like a lake using natural bacteria, or like a home swimming pool that uses corrosives to kill all microorganisms, like peroxide, h202, bleach and other additives. You cannot add h202 to a live system, and you cannot add natural bacteria to a sterile system. Its one or the other. . .
Keep leaf temps at 77f, res temps under 72f, humidity under 50%. Download the LUX meter and give your plants around 5k to 10k lux for the first week.
Test your system without plants in it. Turn your lights up on max, let it run idle. . .check your temps, upgrade your exhaust fan if it gets too hott.
Dont give up, I have yet to grow a bad plant and have never grown in soil or dirt.

K

Kdot57

You need ph and ppm calibration solution for your meters. If you got cheap ones you need to calibrate them before every use. If you got good ones, do it once a week just to be safe.
Dont over feed and make sure that your ppms are slowly falling. If your ppms are slowly rising you need to dump half of that out and use RO water to dilute.
Dont add to much to your pot. . . All you really need is nutrients. As a beginner I wouldnt be adding bloom boosters, silica, enzymes and whatever else people tell you to add. . . Keep it simple then do what you feel is right once your past the learning curve. There is a reason to add things, we can always add different things, but theres a time and place for it.
Nutrient line all of us are familiar with is Flora trio and calmag. That is really all your plants need to produce high quality weed. Now the bloom boosters will help bring out the terps and bulk up your buds, if you have issues, all it does is amplify them and make them harder to diagnose. Get 1 good grow under your belt then go wild.
3 plants in a 2x4 in hydro is a bit much. I would keep them down to a 2 week veg if you run 3 PHOTOS.
I wouldnt run autos, I would run photos so you get a good concept flowering and vegging. Make them do what you want for now, and keep it simple. . .
I use to run heaters for my live system while most people run chillers in their sterile system. You will find more help available that doesnt conflict when you run sterile. . . most people do it that way. If you go live, expect conflicting information from those who run sterile. Live in my eyes is easier in the long run, but does amplify the learning curve.
You can run your system like a lake using natural bacteria, or like a home swimming pool that uses corrosives to kill all microorganisms, like peroxide, h202, bleach and other additives. You cannot add h202 to a live system, and you cannot add natural bacteria to a sterile system. Its one or the other. . .
Keep leaf temps at 77f, res temps under 72f, humidity under 50%. Download the LUX meter and give your plants around 5k to 10k lux for the first week.
Test your system without plants in it. Turn your lights up on max, let it run idle. . .check your temps, upgrade your exhaust fan if it gets too hott.
Dont give up, I have yet to grow a bad plant and have never grown in soil or dirt.
I am getting this to regulate ph balance it keep us 5.7-6.1, ( https://www.torushydro.com/product/xph-capsule-model/ ) an a inline ph an ppm tool too but I plan to run a sterile system so I don’t have any conflict between my grows and I have the T4 in-line fan by ac infinity in a 2 x 4 tent and I have a spare in-line fan I can use for more ventilation, I’ll be running a clip on fan by ac infinity to help with air flow inside the tent. But I’ll invest into the flora trio but regarding cal mag can I use a dry or do I have to find a liquid cause I have dry amendments from my soil grow cycles.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I was thinking recently that running a new tent for a few days before sprouting plants would help make sure everything is working as expected. Don't rely on equipment being in stock when you need it.

K

Kdot57

I was thinking recently that running a new tent for a few days before sprouting plants would help make sure everything is working as expected. Don't rely on equipment being in stock when you need it.
Most of the equipment I’m using is from a prior cycle this isn’t my first grow it’s just my first hydro grow I just wanna try and get more out my plant. The only new equipment I have would be is the hydro equipment and light.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Most of the equipment I’m using is from a prior cycle this isn’t my first grow it’s just my first hydro grow I just wanna try and get more out my plant. The only new equipment I have would be is the hydro equipment and light.
Bro! I've grown in both media. As much as I like full hydro yields I think that style of growing is best suited for a more commercial application where you are able to stay on top of the girls. The extra 15% you get from your 2 or 3 plants isn't going to really make much difference in overall yield versus a commercial operation where you have 500 plants yielding that much more. That's not to say that you can't do it, Aquamans RDWC is evidence of that, but soil is so much more forgiving and so much easier to get through the entire harvest. I just came back from a trip and was gone for 6 weeks while the girls were in flower. I had a buddy come over after 3 weeks to check on them since my remote camera didn't arrive. Other than that the tent remained closed the entire time. I had them on an auto irrigate system.

You would be hardpressed to be able to do that with hydro unless you have everything completely dialed in on the automation side or are willing to put in the time and effort to stay on top of them.

K

Kdot57

Bro! I've grown in both media. As much as I like full hydro yields I think that style of growing is best suited for a more commercial application where you are able to stay on top of the girls. The extra 15% you get from your 2 or 3 plants isn't going to really make much difference in overall yield versus a commercial operation where you have 500 plants yielding that much more. That's not to say that you can't do it, Aquamans RDWC is evidence of that, but soil is so much more forgiving and so much easier to get through the entire harvest. I just came back from a trip and was gone for 6 weeks while the girls were in flower. I had a buddy come over after 3 weeks to check on them since my remote camera didn't arrive. Other than that the tent remained closed the entire time. I had them on an auto irrigate system.

You would be hardpressed to be able to do that with hydro unless you have everything completely dialed in on the automation side or are willing to put in the time and effort to stay on top of them.
I would be able to stay on top of it as I live in a small town with little to or nun to do. I primarily wanna do it to really have my knowledge under hand to when I decided to really run bigger scales of these.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Check out Aquamans thread. He did a 4 site RDWC and it has invaluable knowledge into the pros and cons. Better yet he and Moe are developing an environmental/control system and their using his RDWC grow as the test. From what I've read it will be light years ahead of what is available now and having those two on it just gives it all the credibility you need to move forward on a system like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom