Best cheap/quick way to seal garage?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Hey all -
Need to know how to quickly, inexpensively, and reversible-y seal a big garage door.

Not looking to do framing and build walls. Too much involved and too much hassle later. Also expensive.

Need to do this to minimize noise, air leaks, light leaks, etc. The doors are light proof but the edges may not be. Def want to minimize air loss to move towards a sealed environment, sooner than later.

Considering doing door edges in foam sheet insulation, great stuff, panda film, etc. Suggestions?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I LOVE that rigid foam insulation, great stuff. But the thinner thicknesses don't block light unless it's got the Mylar backing.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Spray insulation is your friend, just be careful not to go AWOL with the stuff it's easy to go overboard and the stuff is MESSY/STICKY. Honestly though, frame it or it will never be truely sealed. Back when I grew in my garage I would battle radiant heat like crazy coming through my garage door during the summer until I framed it. Just get a few cheap 2x2's screw em together, stuff the frame with a bag of insulation and either drywall or put radiant barrier over it. Framing doesn't take but minutes to come down when your done and should cost you no more than 40 bucks to put together. Do it right the first time and never do it again.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

my garage isn't sealed and it killed me this summer. built a tent with 2x4 and plastuc, no insulation. works good in the winter but thinking of laying old blankets over it to insulate some for next summer, as well as twice the ac power.

S

sicinsane

I just moved into a new place and was wondering how would i go about sealing the garage door? would i have to take apart the rails and then screw in a bracket to hold the garage door in place? then build a wall frame to cover up the door?

edit: didnt realize this thread was from 2013. bump

Top Bottom