Best choice for wireless security cams

• Thread starter dutch69lover
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dutch69lover

dutch69lover

Can somebody recommend best choice for wireless security cams that I can access on my iPhone anytime

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You'll need a central server to act as the host. FOSCAM.

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

I got a spare desktop that barley gets used so I can always run it as the server

SunGrown

SunGrown

most that I have used use ddns. Very easy to set up typically.

the costco lorex brand actually is descent, but I suggest upgrading to a higher res camera set than what they have in store usually. Depends on what you feel like spending.

It is nice to watch your girls/property no matter where you are.

And u can set up a second residence with a separate dvr to a computer logged in to the system at all times so that if on the off chance you do have a robbery etc, and if the thieves find the dvr at your grow, there will still be a copy elsewhere...

SunGrown

SunGrown

I got a spare desktop that barley gets used so I can always run it as the server
I have used a few brands and never had to have a separate server. I will look into that though, educate myself on it some.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We went the separate server route for a few reasons. One was stability of the platform, it's running on Linux and isn't easily hacked into. Another was cost, and another was reliability. That said, I understand there are some pretty good pre-packaged surveillance rigs out there that have a dedicated recorder, etc.

@pinegrovedave -- honey, if you want to talk about what we did...? If you have time. Love you!

SunGrown

SunGrown

We went the separate server route for a few reasons. One was stability of the platform, it's running on Linux and isn't easily hacked into. Another was cost, and another was reliability. That said, I understand there are some pretty good pre-packaged surveillance rigs out there that have a dedicated recorder, etc.

@pinegrovedave -- honey, if you want to talk about what we did...? If you have time. Love you!
yeah, my buddy keeps trying to get me to do linux, and I will, but he will have to sit with me for a day or two to make me understand things. @SirLongRock , when ya wanna dedicate a few days to help me wrap my head around Linux brotha?

SunGrown

SunGrown

I do mac, android and windows. My buddy that i consider an expert is so effing busy, maybe I will install Mint on my own and surprise the shit outta him

Thanks sea!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do a LiveCD, brother! You just burn a CD, you pop it into the drive and off you go--test driving an OS without being fully committed to it. :D

SunGrown

SunGrown

will spend time today and download it and test drive it. He mentioned something like that to me, but I didn't listen well that day I think

Johnny Fire

Johnny Fire

Get good cameras. . Fog weather proof..great idea Sun grown about the 2nd recording area

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

Hey Sea.... I do PCLinux it's pretty easy and always recognizes my wireless setup

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Ran Foscam wireless cams for a few years now tied back to a Linux server running Zoneminder. Pretty damn stable if you ask me. Zoneminder can be tedious to install sometimes depending upon the flavor of Linux and requires Apache and mySQL. If you don't know these apps, I would recommend having someone who knows the apps perform the installation.

That being said, I am currently testing a Windows based surveillance application that Foscam has released called BlueIris. Yes, it only works with Foscam cameras, but that is what I have and I must say that it was a "snap" to install (15 minutes start to finish including setting up the cameras). The application is very robust with a lot of features such as triggering an alarm if something moves in a given "field" (you can set fields within the camera view so that events are triggered in case of motion), record only when something moves in front of the camera (saves disk space), stuff like that.

J

JahStone

you could just set up a virtual os and run whatever you want right on the computer you are using now

ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

Great info ladies and gentlemen. Just wondering a price window for the options being discussed. 500_1000$ 1000_2000$. I stopped at a booth at one of the shows but they "couldn't even give me a window because of the variables" lol. Plus I'd want to do it my self. Not have the company come see what I've got

Top Bottom