Best experiences with strains for ADD/ADHD?

• Thread starter DJLateBoy84
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DJLateBoy84

DJLateBoy84

Long time smoker who's had ADD and ADHD symptoms for even longer. Sometimes it's a god send and sometimes it's a liability depending on what I'm doing.

I'm looking for something that can slow the thoughts down and give me some peace in my head in order to do somewhat detailed tasks and learning (full-time finance student at 30)not looking to get blasted so much (that's for the gym and nighttime for sleep) just want something to improve mood focus and concentration enough so that I can act professionally.

I've read that pure CBD oil works great and similar to adderall can anyone relate?

I've tried cannatonic flower to no effect for this specific purpose (cbd :thc 3:1 ratio) also tried blue jay and harlequin(the best out of all for study/work time).

grayarea

grayarea

who do you live with ? sometimes finding the right kinda of smoke for the people you live around works better for add/adhd then smoking the stuff .

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Long time smoker who's had ADD and ADHD symptoms for even longer. Sometimes it's a god send and sometimes it's a liability depending on what I'm doing.

I'm looking for something that can slow the thoughts down and give me some peace in my head in order to do somewhat detailed tasks and learning (full-time finance student at 30)not looking to get blasted so much (that's for the gym and nighttime for sleep) just want something to improve mood focus and concentration enough so that I can act professionally.

I've read that pure CBD oil works great and similar to adderall can anyone relate?

I've tried cannatonic flower to no effect for this specific purpose (cbd :thc 3:1 ratio) also tried blue jay and harlequin(the best out of all for study/work time).
I think you're heading in the wrong direction by trying to go high CBD on this. I'm damn certain I've been undiagnosed ADD all my life (both my sons were Dx'd, one ADD, the other ADHD. Those disorders are considered comorbidities to the greater disorders of Tourette's and autism) and what works best for me are the heavier Sativas that allow me to stay awake and get things done. I think you should be looking towards a higher THC profile.

You'll need to build up your tolerance if you're unaccustomed to high-THC profiles.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
see I would have thought sats would have made it worse.. learn something new everyday.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I think you're heading in the wrong direction by trying to go high CBD on this. I'm damn certain I've been undiagnosed ADD all my life (both my sons were Dx'd, one ADD, the other ADHD. Those disorders are considered comorbidities to the greater disorders of Tourette's and autism) and what works best for me are the heavier Sativas that allow me to stay awake and get things done. I think you should be looking towards a higher THC profile.

You'll need to build up your tolerance if you're unaccustomed to high-THC profiles.
I agree. Indica help with some eating/sleep disorders, pain, and muscle spasms (MS, MD, etc.) but for ADD ,ADHD etc. I`d go with a Sativa or Sativa dominant strain. Ever try Purple Diesel or AK-47 ?

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

My friend with ADD/ADHD prefers Lavender, Purple Urkle or other simiar mellow indica strains. They are much more body than head and have a calming effect.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Your friend might like my old strain Peacemaker . Shanti reworked it and named it Great White Shark I think.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Being a sativa kinda makes me feel add - ADHD. At times , I would lean to a nice mixed hybrid to relax and still be functional and professional ? But I suppose that depends on your tolerance .
Trying to imagine my add child on a racey / thought provoking sativa and I would lean to her being worse
Suppose time will tell as my jars have seemed a little lighter now and again without a explanation

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Both my kids were Dx'd, and I'm fairly certain that I would have been Dx'd ADD as I'm so distractable, while being able to HYPERFOCUS (seriously, like tuning out EVERYTHING else), and this is the real Dx in my experience--does coffee make them sleepy? Coffee makes me sleepy and I used it with my boys before bed to help them settle down and get to sleep.

And in fact, most ADD/ADHD drugs are speed, and their effect on the ADD/ADHD brain is to slow it down, not speed it up. And guess who LOVES her Sativas!

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

I was diagnosed as ADHD while in the military... put me on Ritalin, I absolutely HATED it...I could suddenly concentrate on things but I could only do one thing at a time... I've learned to compensate for it with a lot of structure...I work in a high stress, professional field...

Coffee doesn't really speed me up but it does help me concentrate (I only drink coffee on Mondays)... Beer? I can stay up all night by drinking beer...it's like speed to me...

I prefer hybrids because I've got problems with anxiety which I sometimes get with sativas...

DarkSpark

DarkSpark

I believe ADD/ADHD is a sprectrum like autism, so there's isn't any single magic bullet. What works for one person may not do anything for another because they don't really have the same disorder, despite the diagnosis saying otherwise. so it ends up being a case of finding what is right for you.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I believe ADD/ADHD is a sprectrum like autism, so there's isn't any single magic bullet. What works for one person may not do anything for another because they don't really have the same disorder, despite the diagnosis saying otherwise. so it ends up being a case of finding what is right for you.
You are 100% correct, and that's part of what makes proper Dx difficult. Then there are the comorbidities, but that's another issue for another day.

QLTYlab

QLTYlab

You can't discuss ADD and ADHD as the same in the context of cannabis use. In my experience with varying ADD and knowing people with ADHD, we usually like very different strains. I prefer indica hybrids or pure hybrids while they like sativas and sativa hybrids. If I smoke sativa's sometimes, it can make me more ADHD when I am normally not inclined that way. If my ADHD friends smoke an indica, they have the attention span of a puppy.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good point, my ADD son prefers OG Kushes and pretty much all heavier Afghani-doms. My ADHD son, who's also a Touretter, is made stupid on ALL cannabis. Yet it instantaneously gets rid of ALL of his tics. I'm ADD with zero hyperactivity (more like hypoactive) and like I said, I'm really into my Satties.

Power OG

Power OG

I have been diagnosed with add as a kid. Was on Ritalin and couldn't stand it. Herb is the only thing that has helped. Also coffee can make me real sleepy sometimes and full of energy other times. I prefer Sat Dom hybrid for daytime ,it slows my sporadic thoughts & helps me focus while giving me energy. Sour Diesel is perfect for daytime while Master Kush is my preferred after work & nighttime smoke.
Respect

Top Bottom