Best for BHO, frozen fresh flower, or dried/cured?

• Thread starter Seatown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

How do you run your material(s)

• Total voters
Seatown

Seatown

I apologize if this has been asked before, I looked around quite a bit, and searches yielded no results...

I'm about to make my first run of BHO, and was curious what the best/preferred way to run material was. Fresh, Fresh/Frozen, Dried/Cured as-is, or Dried/Cured/Frozen. I've seen all kinds of suggestions on the inter-webs, but wanted to see what you all thought before I ran anything...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I always run at least dried and frozen. Dried cured and frozen is another way i've done it. Both work well.
My friend recently decided to try a fresh run. As he was flushing his plants he accidentally broke a branch off so he decided he would experiment with a fresh run. He let the branch dry overnight and then chopped it up with scissors and packed the tube. He didnt let it freeze for more than a half hour (I always prefer to freeze my butane and packed tubes overnight) and then he blasted.

So based on this I'll tell you how I feel about the different techniques. I've noticed that when you blast fresh herb you will have a much better taste, but you will lose yield. And so obviously drier material will have a higher yield, but it will have more bullshit like chlorophyll in it. I havent noticed much difference between dried fresh and dried cured. I personally always run dried fresh and frozen. But I plan on doing further experimenting to really figure out the best method for all of my personal preferences.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

If you do 2 runs exactly the same. Same everything. And if you let the first run sit at room temperature and then blast. And you then take run #2 and freeze your packed tube and freeze your cans of butane I WILL GUARANTEE you will always freeze your tubes and tane from then on. Basically the colder everything is the better extracting you do. You will get a lot less bullshit, you'll get a better color, better taste. once you start freezin, you'll be cheezin.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Its 15 minutes, kinda long, but you'll get an inside look on how professionals do it. I learned some really good tricks from this vid. I didnt freeze my stuff until this. Now I dont care if I'm out of oil, I'll wait overnight for everything to get a good freeze.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I always run at least dried and frozen. Dried cured and frozen is another way i've done it. Both work well.
My friend recently decided to try a fresh run. As he was flushing his plants he accidentally broke a branch off so he decided he would experiment with a fresh run. He let the branch dry overnight and then chopped it up with scissors and packed the tube. He didnt let it freeze for more than a half hour (I always prefer to freeze my butane and packed tubes overnight) and then he blasted.

So based on this I'll tell you how I feel about the different techniques. I've noticed that when you blast fresh herb you will have a much better taste, but you will lose yield. And so obviously drier material will have a higher yield, but it will have more bullshit like chlorophyll in it. I havent noticed much difference between dried fresh and dried cured. I personally always run dried fresh and frozen. But I plan on doing further experimenting to really figure out the best method for all of my personal preferences.
your buddy didn't freeze the stuff in the tube for hours? Then he didn't try fresh frozen, he tried semi dry room temp it sounds like!!
I've used whole nugs chopped fresh off the plant and put in the tube and then in freeze with cans for half a day or so...yields huge. Maybe not as large as bone dry stuff but was above 10% easily for me. And that is mainly shake I did fresh frozen, had great color and yields. Here's some pics

IMG 4074
IMG 4082
IMG 4084
IMG 4085
IMG 4142
IMG 4149

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
If you do 2 runs exactly the same. Same everything. And if you let the first run sit at room temperature and then blast. And you then take run #2 and freeze your packed tube and freeze your cans of butane I WILL GUARANTEE you will always freeze your tubes and tane from then on. Basically the colder everything is the better extracting you do. You will get a lot less bullshit, you'll get a better color, better taste. once you start freezin, you'll be cheezin.
dry ice in tube too...cold is as cold as cold can get it...lol

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I generally prefer to further refine into shatter. The flavor of wax is generally better, but when you make an absolute shatter everclear method you extract the fats waxes and lipid from your product. This makes for a smoother smoke, more pure product, and you get a more manageable oil when your done. I dont like wax unless I'm slam dunking, but if I'm trying to casually dab and want something that will stick to my dabber in one piece I go with the absolute shatter.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

CAM00139 This is the extraction process. The fats waxes and lipids will get filtered out mostly. Sometimes I'll do a second filtering

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Instagram @theherbconnection420 if ya wanna see more.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I apologize if this has been asked before, I looked around quite a bit, and searches yielded no results...

I'm about to make my first run of BHO, and was curious what the best/preferred way to run material was. Fresh, Fresh/Frozen, Dried/Cured as-is, or Dried/Cured/Frozen. I've seen all kinds of suggestions on the inter-webs, but wanted to see what you all thought before I ran anything...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I didn't vote because I do it both dried and fresh frozen. Both can produce excellent results, with the fresh frozen the most aromatic, but the most work for the lowest yield per unit volume.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

i just got a closed column from best vac so its not just an open blaster...i have never done this before and i got everything in the freezer waiting for me to feel confident in what to do..lol....first question is since its not open blast, how long should i let the butane sit in the column? like a min? 10 mins? And I have watched a million and one vids on diff ways buy do you guys think after i let the nugs and butane marinate for a lil in the column, i should just relase onto a nostick mat in a pyrex dish and let sit in a water bath or just naturally evaporate and then heat purge at like 100 degrees?? Since its my first time i don't think i want to get into winterizing it and shit just because i dont have everclear and i dont want to wait a day or 2 before i can get lifted...oh anad lastly, tell me please if i understand correctly, to winterize, i have to do it right away at the same time im blasting, like mix the ethanol with the blast and freeze before filtering?? or can i make wax then in a day or two winterize it to make some shatter? i know i rambled and blew off all sorts of wuestions but anybody wanting to throw me some advice, it is much apprciated!!!

Graywolf

Graywolf

i just got a closed column from best vac so its not just an open blaster...

The open refers to whether the butane is released to atmosphere, or recovered in a closed loop system, so even though your tube can be valved closed, it is still an open blaster.

We removed open blasting instructions from our site, because of the number of brothers and sisters ignoring the safety instructions, but left the safety instructions intact. May I suggest that you first read them at :

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/butane-safety/

i have never done this before and i got everything in the freezer waiting for me to feel confident in what to do..lol....first question is since its not open blast, how long should i let the butane sit in the column? like a min? 10 mins?

What temperature is your freezer, and what provisions have you made to keep the columns cold during the soak?

When a solvent and a soluble are combined, the interface where they meet starts out highly active, but as both the solvent and the soluble at that interface each becomes less concentrated, a boundary layer forms where the reaction slows to a crawl.

Keeping the boundary layer removed, so that fresh solvent is in contact with the concentrated soluble, is key.

You can do that by flowing fresh solvent by it, or in the case of a soak, agitate the soak by shaking or vibrating. Check the picture of an early pressurized column experiment using a donated vibrator to keep boundary layers in check.

With that system, three minutes at ~0Fwas still good and after five minutes, we were electric green.

And I have watched a million and one vids on diff ways buy do you guys think after i let the nugs and butane marinate for a lil in the column, i should just relase onto a nostick mat in a pyrex dish and let sit in a water bath or just naturally evaporate and then heat purge at like 100 degrees??

When we were open blasting, we had our best luck discharging into a deep dish sitting in warm tap water. It should be deep enough to float out the atmosphere above the evaporation line, so that a layer of ice doesn’t form, and add water to your extraction.

Since its my first time i don't think i want to get into winterizing it and shit just because i dont have everclear and i dont want to wait a day or 2 before i can get lifted...oh anad lastly, tell me please if i understand correctly, to winterize, i have to do it right away at the same time im blasting, like mix the ethanol with the blast and freeze before filtering?? or can i make wax then in a day or two winterize it to make some shatter? i know i rambled and blew off all sorts of wuestions but anybody wanting to throw me some advice, it is much apprciated!!!

As you are open blasting, I suggest that you read the following regarding Mystery Oil and how to remove it before blasting.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/bho-mystery-oil/

As far as purging, if you’ve already removed the MO, it is relatively easy to achieve under 50 ppm using heat and vacuum, but not so easy, even in a thin film, without vacuum.

As far as when you winterize, you can do it at any time. I find it easier to wash the raw oleoresin out of the collection dish with warm ethanol, filtering that, and then freezing it at 0F for 48 hours or so, before filtering it again to remove precipitated plant waxes.

I’ve also collected 50 or so samples gifted by students or associates, which were sub par, and combined them all in one big winterization, which also worked well. Some were probably six months to a year old.

BHO Pressurized and vibrated 1 1
420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

1436667067303 1260573612
1436667067303 1260573612
1436667212592 160087281
Today had my 2nd best run . Fresh dry bud was used .not frozen 3/4 can of 5× butane .14.8 grams and got 3.1 back and it's super stable. Brought too a rolling boil killed heat and set my Pyrex in . Started purging and replaced with fresh hot water bout 5 mins in bath .when it is all boiled off and I try to get it before it goes to a wax. Have done both and always side with shatter. PpP peace and happy and safe blasting.

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Done a run yesterday of some pk and it is the shit my dreams are made of lol . This pic is of some bud with a lil more leaf . The taste was good

Now this pic is of pk and blueberry o.g. dry cured bud not frozen 1can of butane and 10gs and got 2.7 back of some golden glass primos

Enjoy and be safe . I don't want the only running I do to be from Sgt. Stidanko. (Cheech and Chong ) boys in blue .☺

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Done a run yesterday of some pk and it is the shit my dreams are made of lol . This pic is of some bud with a lil more leaf . The taste was goodView attachment 524556
Now this pic is of pk and blueberry o.g. dry cured bud not frozen 1can of butane and 10gs and got 2.7 back of some golden glass primos View attachment 524557
Enjoy and be safe . I don't want the only running I do to be from Sgt. Stidanko. (Cheech and Chong ) boys in blue .☺
you find flavor profile changes with dry cure vs frozen dry cure? or just yeild?

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

you find flavor profile changes with dry cure vs frozen dry cure? or just yeild?
Haven't done frozen but have done fresh and fresh dry. FDC'd . I'd say wax is best for flavor. Stuff I ran yesterday tastes like grape drink man . Stuff is so flavorful

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Fresh out the dark, lil purple kush and some sour d☺

Super stable ☺ dry frozen 36 hr freeze . Sprayed with puretane☺ in love now .... sorry gotta go taste test no offense ☺PpP peace and good vibes

Top Bottom