Best home treatment for beginning stages of spider mites??

• Thread starter Palgoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Palgoo

Palgoo

Hello - first time grower - I have 2 month old plants where I've spotted a few spider mites and eggs (only some leaves are mildly affected) but I understand one has to act fast. Someone kindly suggested lost coast plant therapy but it's expensive and not being delivered for at least a week or two. I've sprayed neem oil solution on my male plants just to see how it does (so far so good, but I'm told it can clog pores). Any ideas on a quick home remedy to hold off until a proper solution comes in the mail? I also have Diotomaceous earth in my pantry. would that work? Bronner's peppermint soap coming tomorrow... Would love some input on what to do pronto...

Best home treatment for beginning stages of spider mites 3
Best home treatment for beginning stages of spider mites 2

Best home treatment for beginning stages of spider mites
mancorn

mancorn

Spinosad, pyrethins, and neem are all organic and relatively cheap. I would use all 3 in rotation for the next couple weeks as the mites can develop a tolerance for any one spray pretty quick. (I think the pyrethins is only supposed to be used a few times in a season.) You can also spray with hydrogen peroxide which will kill adults, but won’t on it’s own take care of the problem.

quirk

quirk

The terpene d-limonene, in the form of Orange Oil. Soil drench and spray. Melts their exoskeleton, completely organic. Regular or high test.
Approximately 999 other beneficial uses.

IMG 20200618 102553572
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hello - first time grower - I have 2 month old plants where I've spotted a few spider mites and eggs (only some leaves are mildly affected) but I understand one has to act fast. Someone kindly suggested lost coast plant therapy but it's expensive and not being delivered for at least a week or two. I've sprayed neem oil solution on my male plants just to see how it does (so far so good, but I'm told it can clog pores). Any ideas on a quick home remedy to hold off until a proper solution comes in the mail? I also have Diotomaceous earth in my pantry. would that work? Bronner's peppermint soap coming tomorrow... Would love some input on what to do pronto...

View attachment 1139086View attachment 1139085
You can hose them off outside or in your bathtub with a fine firm spray of cold water to knock down their numbers. Then equal parts neem oil & Dr. Bronners soap to emulsify the concoction, I think I used something like 9 ml/L or1/3 oz / quart ..3 times over 8 days then sprayed again with water. I had big 5ft plants and I used a hand held pressure washer to apply it. Just let dry off before putting them back under the bright lights. Only before they go into flower after that don't use Neem oil

Ponky

Ponky

Me practicing for the day I get the borg

View attachment 1139156

Second treatment option if first fails.
View attachment 1139158

Option #3 I dare not show
So true. I got spidermites so I just shut off the lights and ran ozone for a day. Came in. Threw away all the plants. Used industrial sanitizer. And more ozone. And reset. Way easier than trying to fight it. Once spidermites decide they want your crop. It's basically over.

Palgoo

Palgoo

I kind of disagree. Don't beat me down 🤗🤗 That right there. That's a saved crop, after russets.

So true. I got spidermites so I just shut off the lights and ran ozone for a day. Came in. Threw away all the plants. Used industrial sanitizer. And more ozone. And reset. Way easier than trying to fight it. Once spidermites decide they want your crop. It's basically over.
Hah. Thanks guys! Did the neem twice (second time spot treated a few stragglers) and I don't see no spider mites now (but then again, I only have 8 plants, so I can really check each one thoroughly...) Started seeing leafhoppers tho. uhhg, been crushing them manually for a few days now, and they too seem to be dwindling. lost coast therapy arrived so I'll try that soon. It's the country here, so there's just lots and lots of bugs.... I won't give up on em :)

jmand

jmand

make a large amount of rosemary tea and spary it over the plants also water the soil and saturate it with this solutoin it is a natural anti fungal and antir pest.. its amazing!! You can use other things like caffeine containing stuff like coffe or black tea.. But I like rosemary. I know it also has a lot of nutrients in it... I did this and it worked so well I do it regularly to all my plants to add a natural layer of protection against a large amount of obstacles! good luck would love to know how it goes..

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

I had a good experience using Dr Bonners soap, 100% vegetable oil and a few drops of peppermint oil. The vegetable oil is said to breakdown bugs skeleton, i dont understand the science but it was affective when I used it.

Mrb53

Mrb53

all oils suffocate insects (and flowers too). Some citrus oils also dry-out the exoskeleton and certain aromatics repel. My worries were always OILS DESTROY FLOWERS...all oils that is why I went with franksters brew. Water soluble, safe all the way to harvest (and dry/wash/pre cure).

jmand

jmand

all oils suffocate insects (and flowers too). Some citrus oils also dry-out the exoskeleton and certain aromatics repel. My worries were always OILS DESTROY FLOWERS...all oils that is why I went with franksters brew. Water soluble, safe all the way to harvest (and dry/wash/pre cure).
yeah I didnt want to be negative but oil on my plants? no thanks.. I use herbs they are natural pesticides you dont need anything else unless its super bad but I think this would stull work.. rosemary.. coffee... google it

Jackspat12

Jackspat12

Grower's Ally Spider Mite Control is the best one to use. Organic and can be sprayed up to harvest.​

C

CASHMAN627

Well I am kind of new to this growing thing and after watching 20 year pro's for awhile I thought I would give it a shot and $4000.00 later. WELL first time out got a bad case of mites and here is what I did and it seems to be working. Now before I start, let me say it was a lot of work and I am 2 grows in and with following better room rules (clean shoes, clean clothes and no dogs in my grow room) NO MITES #1 If you are not 14 days or less from harvest CUT ALL your plants down put them in garbage bags and zip tie them closed( put them in the trash and watch then leave your property with the trash man. Do not just put them outside, you take the chance of infesting your yard and here we go again.) Time to get to work !!!!!! #2 Clean the whole room including your lights and all equipment with bleach and water (I use 1 cup of bleach per gallon of water and a couple drops of dish soap per gallon also) put everything in trash bags after it dries and zip tie them shut (TIGHT) then use a backpack sprayer to soak the room (remember the floors and baseboards) (LET DRY). #3 Vacuum every inch of the room including all edges including the tops of all the moldings (don't forget inside of the closets). #4 Put two sided tape or spray adhesive/glue around your door frame and on the floor across the threshold these bugs can not swing in like Tarzan they have to crawl in and out (It will take a minute but you will learn to step over and not to touch it.) #5 Go in the room and calk every edge (molding, windows, corners and inside of closets) every edge you can find. Even if it looks like it is sealed CALK it anyway !!!!!! Remember if you have a center light in the ceiling pull it down make a small piece of paneling/plywood put calk around the hole in the ceiling and screw it to the ceiling and calk around the edges ( If you want to bring the wire through remember to CALK around the hole you drill for the wire to come through (CAP YOUR WIRES !!!!!!!!). Remember these MITES can go dormant for long periods of times and they can get in your walls and you put in a new crop and a month later you are starting all over. BE DILIGENT!!!!!!!. 6# Here is the hardest part, go out and buy, rent ($40),borrow or steal it if you have too a paint sprayer and spray the whole room (ceilings, walls, edges, tops of moldings and the floors if you can) spray over the glass in the windows (You can scrape it off the windows when you are done with a razor). Wait one hour and spry the room again with a heavy coat. I was a commercial painter for a couple of years after I got out of the Navy and I have been spraying apartments with heavy roaches in California and seen roaches STOPPED DEAD in there tracks with a paint sprayer and it will seal and kill any eggs laying anywhere in your room and the two sided tape around your door will stop anything from just strolling into your room. #7 go and get some half inch thick foam insulation (pink/blue) hang dark curtains on the inside frame of your windows to look good from the outside and then screw the insulation to your window and remember to CALK around the edges of the insulation. So there you have it in a nutshell. Work hard stay smooth and good luck my friends !!!!!!

Last edited:
brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

I kind of disagree. Don't beat me down 🤗🤗 That right there. That's a saved crop, after russets.
I had spidermites for the first time around 4 days ago now, used an organic spray after using Neem Oil and they haven't returned, but they only appeared when i stuffed up and left a door closed so the tent got hotter than usual and higher RH and that's when i saw the webs.

The buds that were eaten don't look good at all compared to the others, is it worth chopping them off so the rest can grow well?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I had spidermites for the first time around 4 days ago now, used an organic spray after using Neem Oil and they haven't returned, but they only appeared when i stuffed up and left a door closed so the tent got hotter than usual and higher RH and that's when i saw the webs.

The buds that were eaten don't look good at all compared to the others, is it worth chopping them off so the rest can grow well?
Yes, you can cut off the bad parts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom