Best practice to lower soil pH?

• Thread starter av8ersteve
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I know citric acid can be used for my entire grow without having any issues. That is the whole point of growing.
I never said it cannot… what im saying is its not an effective way to influence Ph ling term as you claim.

here i thought you had a good understanding of organics… i now see this is not the case

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Hey dont start throwing insults now that you’ve shown you have no clue of what you speak. Just because i ask a question doesn’t mean i dont know the answer lol. I asked if you did

This is how you got ignored from know on.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Are you saying citric acid is NOT a chelator ?
How many times are you going to put words in my mouth grasping at straws… See i know your kind…. Be right at all costs and refuse to even entertain the idea you may be mistaken or see the results you do for a different reason

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

I never said it cannot… what im saying is its not an effective way to influence Ph ling term as you claim.

here i thought you had a good understanding of organics… i now see this is not the case

I guess all the amazing grows I've done with citric acid have been a fluke.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

How many times are you going to put words in my mouth grasping at straws… See i know your kind…. Be right at all costs and refuse to even entertain the idea you may be mistaken or see the results you do for a different reason

Asking a question isn't putting words in your mouth.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I guess all the amazing grows I've done with citric acid have been a fluke.
Im not saying your grows are not amazing… bit that doesn’t mean what your seeing is from what you claim…. Smh ok i know when to leave a debate. This will go nowhere. You have your mind made ip before an discussion and rather quite science while at the same time ignoring it.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nope. You are simply using your platform as moderator to insult me and I won't tolerate it.
Insult you by having a debate? ok well if thats how you see it. smh where has me being a moderator come into play? Because there is a tag next to my name?

Have i used any moderator powers in this discussion?

Made any threats to your membership?

somehow im not allowed to debate science because i have a tag next to my name?

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

The reason to avoid using Aluminum Sulfate is cannabis accumulates Aluminum. Smoking aluminum is something we should be limiting, not increasing. Especially when there are safer ways to reduce media pH. Of course there is some science to back up my claims.

I'd like to add on to this, I agree with this completely, but not just with aluminum, ALL ALKALINE METALS, I don't care how convenient or how big your plants get because of using Fox Farm. It shouldn't be used.

My mom was a hippie and grew up in the 70's, was a HUGE toker back in her day and even sucked back an entire oil joint almost in one hit she told me (one story). Said they never EVER experienced 'cannabis hyperemesis syndrome' back in those days, people would toke n toke n toke n toke, no issues whatsoever. It's a new age thing. And I strongly suspect marijuana grown using alkaline metal salt fertilizers is the culprit of such a 'disease'

That said, does anyone have an almost instant ORGANIC method of lowering my soil pH? The soil probe that measures everything that's sticking out of the soil is registering a hard 8 and I think that's what's making me calcium not get absorbed.. Iwill not use metals.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'd like to add on to this, I agree with this completely, but not just with aluminum, ALL ALKALINE METALS, I don't care how convenient or how big your plants get because of using Fox Farm. It shouldn't be used.

My mom was a hippie and grew up in the 70's, was a HUGE toker back in her day and even sucked back an entire oil joint almost in one hit she told me (one story). Said they never EVER experienced 'cannabis hyperemesis syndrome' back in those days, people would toke n toke n toke n toke, no issues whatsoever. It's a new age thing. And I strongly suspect marijuana grown using alkaline metal salt fertilizers is the culprit of such a 'disease'

That said, does anyone have an almost instant ORGANIC method of lowering my soil pH? The soil probe that measures everything that's sticking out of the soil is registering a hard 8 and I think that's what's making me calcium not get absorbed.. Iwill not use metals.
Its because of the breeding and the increase of THC while the decline of other cannabinoids. Nothing to do with metals, ferts or the like… but hey the chirch of organics would like you to believe that… its from the shit breeding going on for many years ruining a lot of the great benefits for THC levels

The funny part is organics contains the high amounts if heavy metals and you claim its the synthetic nutrients…. Which is completely bacwards.

i have no idea where you get your information for your opinion but its absol false.

i mean what the hell is alkaline metal salts? Aluminum sulphate is not even alkaline and its abundant in organic soils. Where do you organic people come up with this shit? There is nothing wrong with organics but it aure the hell isn’t what the organic church says.

With that im going to completely avoid all organic grows not because i feel they aren’t good or in anyway shape or form leaser or not beneficial because they are but rather the amount of brainwashed bullshit is just to much for my patience to try to explain and im tired of fighting the mountains of falsehoods people claim and buy into

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Its because of the breeding and the increase of THC while the decline of other cannabinoids. Nothing to do with metals, ferts or the like… but hey the chirch of organics would like you to believe that… its from the shit breeding going on for many years ruining a lot of the great benefits for THC levels

The funny part is organics contains the high amounts if heavy metals and you claim its the synthetic nutrients…. Which is completely bacwards.

i have no idea where you get your information for your opinion but its absol false.

i mean what the hell is alkaline metal salts? Aluminum sulphate is not even alkaline and its abundant in organic soils. Where do you organic people come up with this shit? There is nothing wrong with organics but it aure the hell isn’t what the organic church says.

With that im going to completely avoid all organic grows not because i feel they aren’t good or in anyway shape or form leaser or not beneficial because they are but rather the amount of brainwashed bullshit is just to much for my patience to try to explain and im tired of fighting the mountains of falsehoods people claim and buy into
There's no need to be hostile, I simply stated my OPINION, which is just that, an opinion.

The information for my opinion stems from the fact that most good hemp shops no longer sell pipes made out of metal, as the rumour on the street is that burning the metal releases chemicals that trigger alzheimers in the brain. I'd prefer to stay away from anything metal being put into my soil. If you think a plant can't uptake whatever you add to the soil, then IDK what to tell you. I had some rice from India the other day and I'm going to assume it was grown over a mound of shit, or had fresh shit added to it because it literally tasted like curry. I took that rice back to the store so fast.

I'm not using an organic soil btw. I'd like to eventually some day, but I'm not right now. I wanted to use full organics for my grow but I broke the rule lol. I put epsom salts in my soil and now I used Calimagic, which doesn't have the OMRI label on it. My fertilizers are comprised of nitrogen, phosphoric acid, and soluble potash, with a little bit of 'organic material' to tie it all together. I don't know if there's any metals in there, but I'd like to think there aren't.

And for what it's worth, I'll be a little bit personal with you. I don't know what this "church of organics" is, but I'm not a part of it. The reason I'm so gung ho on using organics is because I was forcefully medicated on Risperdal and Sertraline when I was 9 years old for ADHD. That shit fucked me up and to this day I've never felt right about it. I can't speak for the other members of this religion you speak of, but perhaps something similar happened to them as well. I DON'T WANT HARSH CHEMICALS, in my weed, in my food, in my drugs, none of it unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary. If I could go back to the 1300's method of farming before commercialized products I would, believe me. Using manure and guano, etc.

I got nothing against you Aqua Man, I didn't intend to come at you crooked. I just stated my opinion, it's my first grow, I am ignorant, but again, please try and understand I would prefer to stay away from harsh synthetic fertilizers as much as possible. I'm realizing now that it might be more difficult to do than I previously thought.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This study confirms what I already knew about citric acid. This link is for the doubters.

https://digitalcommons.humboldt.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1040&context=ideafest

Conclusion according to actual science: citric acid can reduce soil pH
I
read it a study and confirms nothing… it actually says in it that it assumes and that others factors may be responsible….

One it doesn’t name is root respiration as the plants increase in size…it also doesn’t show the alkalinity of the soil or the sources of alkalinity of the soil to start with. That a huge factor and its an extremely assumptive poorly done study.

anyone who has used citric acid in hydro knows its not going to impact soil PH for shit or any reasonable time period.

im just gonna stop bothering with stuff like this. if reading just inow it doesn’t work for shit… if you doubt it try it out yourself

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

That study says it can be inferred by data in figure 6, but not statistically. That is a lot more proof than you are showing. All you have shown is a very loud and very incorrect opinion that is not supported by any credible science.

Literally every study I can find regarding citric acid, soil and pH shows similar results. All of them show a pH reduction in soil. Hydro has nothing to do with the topic regarding soil pH.

You can't simply say "oh this is a bad study because X and therefore invalid". It's published science. Not an opinion.

Now is your turn to show some credible science to back up your false claims.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That study says it can be inferred by data in figure 6, but not statistically. That is a lot more proof than you are showing. All you have shown is a very loud and very incorrect opinion that is not supported by any credible science.

Literally every study I can find regarding citric acid, soil and pH shows similar results. All of them show a pH reduction in soil. Hydro has nothing to do with the topic regarding soil pH.

You can't simply say "oh this is a bad study because X and therefore invalid". It's published science. Not an opinion.

Now is your turn to show some credible science to back up your false claims.
Tbh IDC use what you like. I have tested a lot myself… and including citric acid.
lmao its a published opinion that is poorly done. If you call that 7 page write up by some university kid with no science explaining how it does a scientific paper then that makes a lot of sense. Hell the paper itself states they are not sure of the influences and needs further studies.

You go ahead and grab onto it for dear life. I stand by my opinion and have nothing to prove to you or anyone else. Why not stick a nail through the stock too.

ill leave you with this question…. Why is it that citric acid CAN RAISE soli Ph?

but i guess thats BS too. Do your own research to answer that and you may just get a clue as to why i say the things i do and how garbage that paper is

Top Bottom