Best reflector hood for 4x4 tray?

• Thread starter OGONLY
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OGONLY

OGONLY

I am going to be buying two new reflector hoods in the next couple weeks. I've been researching which hoods work best for a 4 x 4 growing area. It seems that the XXXL models are a bit overkill for a smaller growing space like a 4 x 4 area. I've been looking at the Hydrofarm Radient reflector along with the sunlight supply Blockbuster reflector. I'm leaning towards the 8 inch rather than the 6 inch because I'm already set up for eight. Both reflectors claim to be perfect for a 4 x 4 area and focus the light in a square pattern.

Both are very close in price. The Radient has a pebbled reflector where the other one is smooth aluminum. The Radient apparently has double wall construction which I can see being a plus.

These reflectors will be set up side-by-side connected together with one 8 inch in-line. I'm contemplating buying new ballasts also. I currently run quantum's, but very interested in the new Solis Techs. I am aware of the new double ended technology, but not really ready to jump in to anything so new right now. Going to go with the tried-and-true.

FWIW, I currently run 2 CAP Triple Xtreme hoods over my 4 x 4's with great results. Main reason for wanting to change is cleaning the glass on these monsters is a total bitch. Also concerned that reflectivity could be improved given that these reflectors are three years old.

Anyone with experience with either of these two reflectors, or any info on what works great for you and your 4 x 4 would be much appreciated.

wonka

wonka

had been using 1 cap triple xtreme 6inch hood for the last few yrs and also found that cleaning the glass was a major pain along with changing the bulb.. which I would just go through the vent instead of taking the glass off.. last rd I switched to a hydrofarm raptor 6inch hood.. its a half inch bigger in width and a few longer in length. height profile is 4/5 inching smaller. main thing I liked was it has latches for the glass and metal cable on the side to hold it a foot or so open.. I know they make a 8inch but think it might be a bit much for a 4x4 space..

w.wonka

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

had been using 1 cap triple xtreme 6inch hood for the last few yrs and also found that cleaning the glass was a major pain along with changing the bulb.. which I would just go through the vent instead of taking the glass off.. last rd I switched to a hydrofarm raptor 6inch hood.. its a half inch bigger in width and a few longer in length. height profile is 4/5 inching smaller. main thing I liked was it has latches for the glass and metal cable on the side to hold it a foot or so open.. I know they make a 8inch but think it might be a bit much for a 4x4 space..

w.wonka
Buddy of mine runs an 8" Raptor over a 6x6 area and produces just shy of a GPW.. They cover a large footprint.

His results are making me rethink my setup..

OGONLY

OGONLY

Buddy of mine runs an 8" Raptor over a 6x6 area and produces just shy of a GPW.. They cover a large footprint.

His results are making me rethink my setup..

Raptors and XXXL hoods are great for people that need to cover a large area. I however am going for a more focused approach this time. Rather then lighting areas outside of my trays, I'd rather have the light focused down on my 4 x 4 space with higher concentration.

It just seems to make a lot of sense to me that a square light pattern focusing on a square area makes more sense than a rectangular light casting it's lumens well outside the area of my trays.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Raptors and XXXL hoods are great for people that need to cover a large area. I however am going for a more focused approach this time. Rather then lighting areas outside of my trays, I'd rather have the light focused down on my 4 x 4 space with higher concentration.

It just seems to make a lot of sense to me that a square light pattern focusing on a square area makes more sense than a rectangular light casting it's lumens well outside the area of my trays.
I agree 100%, I was going to buy all new blockbusters for my rooms but now am going the DE route..

G

grimlock

I just installed 2 new 8" blockbusters, replacing my 6" magnums. I only have a 7 ft wide area, so I thought it would be better cause I grow trees. Great build quality and light seems more intense.

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

I am going to be buying two new reflector hoods in the next couple weeks. I've been researching which hoods work best for a 4 x 4 growing area. It seems that the XXXL models are a bit overkill for a smaller growing space like a 4 x 4 area. I've been looking at the Hydrofarm Radient reflector along with the sunlight supply Blockbuster reflector. I'm leaning towards the 8 inch rather than the 6 inch because I'm already set up for eight. Both reflectors claim to be perfect for a 4 x 4 area and focus the light in a square pattern.

Both are very close in price. The Radient has a pebbled reflector where the other one is smooth aluminum. The Radient apparently has double wall construction which I can see being a plus.

These reflectors will be set up side-by-side connected together with one 8 inch in-line. I'm contemplating buying new ballasts also. I currently run quantum's, but very interested in the new Solis Techs. I am aware of the new double ended technology, but not really ready to jump in to anything so new right now. Going to go with the tried-and-true.

FWIW, I currently run 2 CAP Triple Xtreme hoods over my 4 x 4's with great results. Main reason for wanting to change is cleaning the glass on these monsters is a total bitch. Also concerned that reflectivity could be improved given that these reflectors are three years old.

Anyone with experience with either of these two reflectors, or any info on what works great for you and your 4 x 4 would be much appreciated.
imo bigger is better in that you can get downward reflection all the way out to the perimeter of that 4x4 foot print especially if they are running cool, this will allow the reflector to get closer. i also recommend a pre filter you can get at any hardware store, this will allow you to go a full cycle with out having to clean the glass. this has been really helpful!!

OGONLY

OGONLY

imo bigger is better in that you can get downward reflection all the way out to the perimeter of that 4x4 foot print especially if they are running cool, this will allow the reflector to get closer. i also recommend a pre filter you can get at any hardware store, this will allow you to go a full cycle with out having to clean the glass. this has been really helpful!!

I hear yeah man, I have had those the same thoughts as well. But, my lights are going to be high all times without being lowered. Kind of tough for me to do with my set up so I just leave them alone all the way up. So with them up high, spread over an area as small as a 4x4 tray should not be an issue. My other tray is actually a 3x3.

I'm thinking intensity over that area will be stronger with the smaller reflector. I've come to think of it as light dilution with the bigger reflectors.

Great idea about the pre filters. Would love to do anything possible to keep my glass cleaner. Where do you get them, and can you give me a visual on how they work? :)

G

grimlock

Interested as well...have never cleaned the glass in my old magnums...how embarrassing.... Lol. Had them sealed and changed lamps out exhaust holes. I will clean my new busters though, didn't tape them.

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

I hear yeah man, I have had those the same thoughts as well. But, my lights are going to be high all times without being lowered. Kind of tough for me to do with my set up so I just leave them alone all the way up. So with them up high, spread over an area as small as a 4x4 tray should not be an issue. My other tray is actually a 3x3.

I'm thinking intensity over that area will be stronger with the smaller reflector. I've come to think of it as light dilution with the bigger reflectors.

Great idea about the pre filters. Would love to do anything possible to keep my glass cleaner. Where do you get them, and can you give me a visual on how they work? :)
i use filters that are made for home use. they are for central heating and air conditioning. the come in a bunch of widths and heights but the are all the same thickness at about one inch. the high end filters are the heppa style but these are too restrictive, i go with a middle of the road style to allow a little more air flow, these will still trap any and all dust size particles. i think the smallest dimension is 12"x20". i tape it to the wall where my air intake is for my lights. i can spin it 180 degrees and get another run out of em and i will usually hit em with the shop vac a few times throughout to keep a good flow.i will get you a pic in a few

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

Photo 3 7
Photo 1 11
Photo 2 11

Top Bottom