Best solution for spider mites

• Thread starter ogwon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

I had a slight issue with my perpetual bloom room so I used a couple of different products and techniques to get rid of them.

First in Bloom Room I only used a product called 'No Spider Mites'. According to the label it can be used right up to harvest. However, I don't recommend using it on plants you are about two weeks from harvesting.

Secondly I used a receipe I got from another grower on this site and it worked amazingly. However, in my opinion; it should only be used in the Veg Room right before you transfer your plants to the Bloom Room, and never in the Bloom Room.

Here is his receipe:
3 ml Avid & 60ml Azamax to 1 gallon of 100 degree [warm] water. mix and spray on your plants. Should work for at least 40 days, but in my case it took care of my issue.

Best defense is a good offense. Keep a clean room and space!!

This is my recipe, I'm glad it's working for you.

To all those griping about Avid in bloom, READ! He just said don't use this mix in bloom, use it at the end of veg for best results and persistence.

This mix is ON LABEL; the only trick is replacing one horticultural oil with another, in this case Azamax. The label says this can safely be used up to two weeks before harvest, but again my suggestion is to use this mix at the end of veg and let the persistence work for you.

I would reapply this mix once after two weeks, then wait until you see signs of infestation before using a pesticide again. Another option for heavy infestations is to use this mix once, wait two weeks and introduce either a biological foliar like Cap's, or beneficial insects. This knocks down a runaway problem and leaves it a manageable size for more natural approaches.

Finally, cleanliness is important, but vacuuming its beside the point; what really helps reduce and control outbreaks is to break your grow up into as many separate spaces as possible. A perpetual room where you're constantly moving individual plants in and out is an absolute paradise for any parasite- you're always bringing in fresh blood to infest! So don't do it this way! Instead, use separate spaces and try not to let younger and older plants inhabit the same spaces.

When you have been out and about, don't come home and walk right into your garden. Wait awhile, or change clothes.

NO PETS IN THE GROWROOM! Not only are dogs and cats perfect carriers of every sort of little hitchhiker, but think about your pet getting thirsty and drinking nutrient water. Or, getting into your 'natural' or 'organic' fertilizers and pesticides. Or just deciding to try some of your tasty vegetation for themselves to see what the fuss is about...

No visitors, either- unless they follow the same cleanliness guidelines you do.

Yes, sealed rooms are better at keeping bugs out but they only work as well as your decontamination procedures do. The simple truth is the the biggest vector into your garden for pests is YOU.

Jboys3

Jboys3

This is my recipe, I'm glad it's working for you.

To all those griping about Avid in bloom, READ! He just said don't use this mix in bloom, use it at the end of veg for best results and persistence.

This mix is ON LABEL; the only trick is replacing one horticultural oil with another, in this case Azamax. The label says this can safely be used up to two weeks before harvest, but again my suggestion is to use this mix at the end of veg and let the persistence work for you.

I would reapply this mix once after two weeks, then wait until you see signs of infestation before using a pesticide again. Another option for heavy infestations is to use this mix once, wait two weeks and introduce either a biological foliar like Cap's, or beneficial insects. This knocks down a runaway problem and leaves it a manageable size for more natural approaches.

Finally, cleanliness is important, but vacuuming its beside the point; what really helps reduce and control outbreaks is to break your grow up into as many separate spaces as possible. A perpetual room where you're constantly moving individual plants in and out is an absolute paradise for any parasite- you're always bringing in fresh blood to infest! So don't do it this way! Instead, use separate spaces and try not to let younger and older plants inhabit the same spaces.

When you have been out and about, don't come home and walk right into your garden. Wait awhile, or change clothes.

NO PETS IN THE GROWROOM! Not only are dogs and cats perfect carriers of every sort of little hitchhiker, but think about your pet getting thirsty and drinking nutrient water. Or, getting into your 'natural' or 'organic' fertilizers and pesticides. Or just deciding to try some of your tasty vegetation for themselves to see what the fuss is about...

No visitors, either- unless they follow the same cleanliness guidelines you do.

Yes, sealed rooms are better at keeping bugs out but they only work as well as your decontamination procedures do. The simple truth is the the biggest vector into your garden for pests is YOU.
Thanks for covering my back. I never said use your recipe in the bloom room, and prevention is the best solution...

homebrew420

homebrew420

This is ridiculous. If you used avid you don't have mites. And if you do, then you have got to do abetter job of keeping room clean and/or quarantining new additions to the garden.
Avid and forbid4f erradicate the pest. For 30-40 days! Persistence with neem and/aza for 2 weeks every 3 days will nearly wipe them out.
Do your research and read the lables. You are using a commercial grade pesticide and say they don't work? Operator error.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Homebrew, there are mites that are resistant to Forbid (more than the 4F formulation), dichlorvos, all sorts of things. When someone runs across that, which is very common in places like southern California and the central valley, they're fighting a losing battle if they continue to use the very poisons to which the mites have developed resistance. So, it's not always operator error.

In the meantime, now that Dave's gotten all this manzanita cleared out, I can see that I have some toyon bushes that appear to have a year-round spider mite population.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Sea you are correct about the resistance. I feel however he claums to have used ALL the standard treatment. If so operator error. Neem wil now and forever kill them.
Honestly what are the chances of having both avid and forbid resistant mites? This is common?

SEA your last statement should be something to consider when tackling pest infestation. One will NEVER rid their garden if landscape surrounding is infested.

Peace and good luck.

G u

G u

6ml per gallon of Conserve SC, 2-3 applications 7 days apart

30 days of protection.

... Kill your spider mites while not harming your body or the bodies of those that try your bud.

frebo

frebo

Iy
Homebrew, there are mites that are resistant to Forbid (more than the 4F formulation), dichlorvos, all sorts of things. When someone runs across that, which is very common in places like southern California and the central valley, they're fighting a losing battle if they continue to use the very poisons to which the mites have developed resistance. So, it's not always operator error.

In the meantime, now that Dave's gotten all this manzanita cleared out, I can see that I have some toyon bushes that appear to have a year-round spider mite population.[/quote

I know people think manzanita is so special for crafts and decorating, but I have 40 acres of "oak savannah" with tons of that stuff(very hot fire wood). So, it is a continual battle with spider mites. PERSISTANCE is the key, and I mean like at least every three days. They hate water, so foliar spraying even helps. I

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Went with 50/50 alcohol/water per Sea. Thanks Sea!

Working good so far.

How muchof the rosemary extract is added per gallon? I have only been using the alcohol.

Manzanitas are bad for ticks also......they attract them. It would be curious to know if they attract spidermites also.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No spider mites in the manzanita that I've seen, pretty much ever. They're in the toyon, but not all toyon, only that which has come up as undergrowth inside the manzanita. I've got toyon lining the egress road and it shows no signs of spider mites.

The effective rate of rosemary essential oil in the diluted SNS 217C is 2%. That's IT. Remember, emulsify, emulsify, emulsify. I couldn't tell you how much is in my homemade concoction.

And you're very welcome. :) I am VERY glad to have helped.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Emulsify. This was the tough one for me. I did not get it completely emulsified and it burned the crap out of my plants...that made me a saaaad Panda.

Good luck

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Does anybody smell some type of mint in SNS217? My room reminds me of peppermint or something after I spray with it.....??

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, it's the rosemary. Rosemary essential oil has a different odor to it compared to fresh, in my opinion. The 203 has clove oil in it, that adds its own scent, too. Oh..! I've gotta look back at the recipes, but maybe what you're smelling are the emulsifiers they use (polypropylene glycol..? shit, drawing a blank now) and maybe lauric acid, I know at least one of their concoctions also uses lauric acid.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

They use SLS sodium laural sulfate a lot as an emulsifier. It's in lots of consumer products and is poison. Fwiw...

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

A nasty one, that's probably in your toothpaste... If your trying to live a healthy lifestyle I'd check your toothpaste shampoo and limit your exposure to this toxin.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Seriously? It's a detergent, isn't it?

Couple drops of dish soap works well as a surfacantent/dispersent.

Spider mites, reading about them will take you 20 min to understand the bastards and their life cycle.

If you got mites it's too late for most ways to get ride of them, if you got them you need a knock down killer or dame close to it. If Avid is not working you could have resistant mites but I'm thinking you need to read the label again and reapply at every 7 days.

I have been using AzaMax for the last month and so far I like it. But you need to spray a few times to get them all.

AzaMax

Botanical Insecticide, Miticide, and Nematicide

AzaMax is a natural product with a broad spectrum of pest control and broad plant applications. AzaMax is made from special Azadirachtin Technical extracted using patented extraction technology from Neem, a tree known for it’s innumerable benefits. AzaMax contains Azadirachtin A&B as active ingredients and more than 100 limonoids from it’s special technology. The special feature of AzaMax is that it does not use hard chemical solvents and uses food grade formulation ingredients. AzaMax is licensed in all 50 states.
AzaMax is an antifeedant and insect growth regulator and controls pests through starvation and growth disruption. AzaMax effectively controls spider mites, thrips, fungus gnats, aphids, whiteflies, leaf miners, worms, beetles, leafhoppers, scales, mealy bugs, nematodes and other soil borne pests. Best of all, AzaMax can be applied up to the time or day of harvest. The product is exempted from residue tolerance, thus there is no harmful residue on veggies, fruits, herbs and flowers etc. Truly, AzaMax is a product of Nature in tune with Technology.
Lable and directions

ttystikk

ttystikk

All true, but Azamax still tastes nasty to smoke if you spray too close to harvest.

My favorite mix- specifically for russet mites but it's also highly effective against spidermites- is running both Avid and Azamax together in the same application; the Azamax acts as an extent for the Avid, while simultaneously acting as a pesticide itself with a different mode of action. I'm using it in three 16 day intervals to knock down and hopefully eradicate my recurring russet mite problem.

WynterRye

WynterRye

I think that everyone should look into Kontos. It has a veg. label and is systemic with a 6 to 8 weeks. Its sister product JUDO is the number one mite control in the Greenhouse industry. You can water in as a drench. I have just started in the Cannabis growing but i have 30 years in the Greenhouse industry I own a large annual and floral greenhouse in CO. I use drip, ebb and flow as well as flood floor growing. plus i use boom sprayers and for cost per square foot those 2 are fantastic. Most important is there MOA is all by themselves. the Problem with avid is its over use as well as conserve. Florida has outlawed Conserve SC in several counties because the insect are immune. Spider mites and trips being the fastest to gain resistance because they don't need males to reproduce.

Latest posts

Top Bottom