best strain to treat shizophrenia

• Thread starter dirk d
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dirk d

dirk d

anyone know if there is a strain(s) that will help people with shizophrenia?? thanks.

dirk d

dirk d

its not for me its for a patient. but no i haven't tried it. thanks though.

squiggly

squiggly

No.

THC can cause schizophrenia like-symptoms and also increases dopamine in the brain (and can in an indirect pathway increase seratonin levels).

Anti-psychotics/Neuroleptics decrease seratonin and dopamine receptor activity and suppress schizophrenia. The side-effects are terrible, but the mechanism of action gives a hint that THC will produce negative results in schizophrenics.

Schizophrenia is a serious, neurobiological, condition. It was once thought to be psychological only, but that has since been disproven--the chemistry and structure of affected individuals' brains is abnormal. This really is not an area for uncontrolled experimentation--tell your patient to see a psychiatrist if his symptoms are severe.

Schizophrenics have a tendency to try and avoid/control their treatment--offering them an alternative that doesnt have similar activity to the neuroleptics could be very damaging.

TLDR:

Tell your patient to STAY AWAY from THC, and frankly any drugs for that matter. His/her brain chemistry is fragile and shouldn't have drastic changes made to it--especially not ones that increase neuroreceptor activity.

F

FastForward

What Squiggly said. Your pal should avoid it.

FF

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

I agree with what's said above, you would want to be very careful. If you wanted to try, I would suggest a few things:
1. Correct dosage would be super critical. I would go only with very carefully created and measured (and analyzed, if possible) concentrates.

2. Make the doses small. You don't want to create a emotional or sensory spike as this can trigger a whole lot of baddness for a person already struggling with reality. Having very consistent low doses is your best bet.

3. Put them in pills. You want taking it to be a no brainer, no judgment call, simple and easy.

4. THC is a psychotic agent, and should be avoided. CBD is an antipsychotic. High CBD strains are the couchlock ones. Your best case scenerio is an extract from a high CBD strain which is processed in such a way as to maximize CBD and minimize THC. This is a really cutting edge area, you might want to get in touch with some extract makers and a laboratory to see if you can't find a way to process the material so the extract has as little THC and as much CBD as possible. Another avenue might be to degrade the THC into CBN, which also has a mild sedative effect. The questions is, how do you do that without also degrading the CBD.

5. If you don't have access to all that and this person really needs some help, I'd find the highest CBD strain you can find and let it go in the flower room as long as possible. I'd test it a lot yourself first, then I'd put it in pills. Look up info on other ways to increase CBD, there may be some feeding techniques or curing processes that help.

Best of luck to you and your friend.

jagle

jagle

i know a girl who has it, she says weed makes her way worse, hash is great for it tho, so thats why i was asking

dirk d

dirk d

thanks for all the replies everyone. appreciate the response. i didnt really understand the issue that much and you guys have educated me and i thank you. I was thinking about a high cbd strain and in a pill form. But didnt realize how severe the issue is.

jagle

jagle

try some good hash, seriously, because i know it works for my friend with his issues

squiggly

squiggly

It is possible to purify CBD from an extract through column chromatography. In literature this may be referred to as chromatography over silica. If you google the right phrases (CBD, chromatography, purify--different combinations like that) you will eventually find some literature outlining a procedure for purifying CBD from a crude extract.

If you feel you are up to the challenge this may be a route to take--presuming what girlwonder is saying about CBD antipsychotic activity is correct. I don't have the time to look at the moment :(

If you need some help figuring out what to do and what to buy, get at me with some questions after you've read up a bit on the process and I'll shoot you back a reply when I can.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I work with a schizophrenic, and she really needs the Indica-dom strains, couch-lock type of strains. Her onset was interesting and outside of the norm, mid-30s, woman, no precursor issues observed. However, she's got not only an official Dx, but now receives permanent disability for it, so I take it it's as real as any other schizo-affective person I've dealt with. I always discuss the effects of what she's using at some length with her husband, and we work very hard to avoid those strains that have any mental effects, we're working toward 'couch-lock' for her. So far, so good. Best strain for her so far is something I get from a Vietnam vet breeder friend of mine he calls Mother of Thor. You could call it Dick in the Dirt, I swear, that strain gets you stoned.

istari72

istari72

I have been a mental health professional for close to two decades now and must concur with what most others have said: schizophrenia (or any form of thought disorder) and cannabis are not a good combination, regardless of anecdotal reports. Best to avoid. If anyone with such challenges disagrees, get high and pay attention to your thoughts. -feel better? Thinking more clearly? Probably not. Take care of yourself and work closely with your treatment team. I wish you the best :)

Also, Seamaiden, schizophrenia and shizoaffective disorders are similar but not the same. Schizpophrenia is a thought disorder, whereas schizoaffective is both a thought and emotional disorder. Similar, but distinctly different.

gaiadreams

gaiadreams

Hi all,

I realize this feed is probably dead, but I am really trying to find information on any strains that are good for schizophrenia spectrum disorders, like schizoaffective. I have been suffering with schizoaffective for over 10 years and am very stable and am a mother. I live in CO, and have been researching CBD as an alternative to anti-psychotics for over a year now, and am very well aware of the dangers I face in experimenting with different strains. THC is NOT good for me. I have not tried hash, and I wouldn't unless it was tested by a lab for THC and CBD levels. All that being said, I would really like to know more about this strain Mother of Thor. (Coincidentally I have a son named Thor :)

Thank you!

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Hi all,

I realize this feed is probably dead, but I am really trying to find information on any strains that are good for schizophrenia spectrum disorders, like schizoaffective. I have been suffering with schizoaffective for over 10 years and am very stable and am a mother. I live in CO, and have been researching CBD as an alternative to anti-psychotics for over a year now, and am very well aware of the dangers I face in experimenting with different strains. THC is NOT good for me. I have not tried hash, and I wouldn't unless it was tested by a lab for THC and CBD levels. All that being said, I would really like to know more about this strain Mother of Thor. (Coincidentally I have a son named Thor :)

Thank you!
have you considered raw juicing? the thc stays in acid form which is not psychoactive. also a good way to get cbd. search here on "juicing" and "Courtney" for related threads..

and this: http://cannabisclinicians.org/2012/cbd-and-schizophrenia/

istari72

istari72

I posted previously on this thread stating that in my experience as a mental health professional cannabis has been considered contraindicated, or, ill advised. I was mistaken. Though I haven't fully reviewed the research, it appears that CBD is being used in trials as a safer alternative to antipsychotics, which have a slew of very bad health consequences. My oldest brother has schizophrenia, and pharmacology has offered no solution for him for the last twenty years, and symptom management to varying degrees. Looks like I need to procure a good CBD strain. Just wanted to correct my error. Some links...

http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/...phrenia-with-few-side-effects-clinical-trial/

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005024.html#

Cheers!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hi all,

Thank you!
<sigh> Unfortunately, Mother of Thor has been lost to us. The original breeder lost his cut of her the same year I did.

My suggestion is to focus on those breeders that have endeavored to create high-CBD strains, such as CBD Crew. I'm sure other members here are more familiar with the various breeders and strains that are known to be high in CBD levels. Beyond that, when you grow your own never rush the finishing process/push the harvest window and that practice should serve you well.

By the way, welcome to the farm, gaiadreams.

dirk d

dirk d

hey i remember this thread lol I actually have a bipolar patient that is getting great relief from using simpson oil. I would focus on that route(very small doses) and get your cbd's that way. Massive shot to your system.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

A fellow grower mentioned that male pollen is real bad and the medicine he grew for himself was ruined if his plants hermaphrodited...take it with a grain of salt

gaiadreams

gaiadreams

Wow! Thank-you all for the responses. :) I stumbled on this community quite unexpectedly, but really feel welcomed and supported.

istari72- Thank you, Thank you, for the great links, I appreciate the in depth discussion on why CBD's work, and I was unaware of the anandamide link in all this. Again, thank you. :)

dirk d, what is simpson oil? I don't think I have ever heard of that.

Hope everyone gets out to enjoy the sunshine!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I posted previously on this thread stating that in my experience as a mental health professional cannabis has been considered contraindicated, or, ill advised. I was mistaken. Though I haven't fully reviewed the research, it appears that CBD is being used in trials as a safer alternative to antipsychotics, which have a slew of very bad health consequences. My oldest brother has schizophrenia, and pharmacology has offered no solution for him for the last twenty years, and symptom management to varying degrees. Looks like I need to procure a good CBD strain. Just wanted to correct my error. Some links...

http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/...phrenia-with-few-side-effects-clinical-trial/

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005024.html#

Cheers!

<sigh> Unfortunately, Mother of Thor has been lost to us. The original breeder lost his cut of her the same year I did.

My suggestion is to focus on those breeders that have endeavored to create high-CBD strains, such as CBD Crew. I'm sure other members here are more familiar with the various breeders and strains that are known to be high in CBD levels. Beyond that, when you grow your own never rush the finishing process/push the harvest window and that practice should serve you well.

By the way, welcome to the farm, gaiadreams.

Wow! Thank-you all for the responses. :) I stumbled on this community quite unexpectedly, but really feel welcomed and supported.

istari72- Thank you, Thank you, for the great links, I appreciate the in depth discussion on why CBD's work, and I was unaware of the anandamide link in all this. Again, thank you. :)

dirk d, what is simpson oil? I don't think I have ever heard of that.

Hope everyone gets out to enjoy the sunshine!

HARLEQUIN. It's a high CBD/low THC making the rounds here in Colorado. Ask Homebrew420, I think he said he knew where to get it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom