Best Top of Line LED For 4x4 or 5x5?

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I’m also using aluminum extrusion for this full build. It has T-slots on each side and flat on one side so I can attach the strips. The pic is basically what I’m getting for my frame except for one side will be flat with no T-slotView attachment 1155694
I'm very familiar with the material. I have my hands on it almost daily. The brand we use at work to build mainly machine guarding is 80/20.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I think I have it figured out. This is what I put together.

View attachment 1155695

I need to think on it a day or 2 before I pull the trigger.
I opted for the red booster that has less diodes but has the same specs as my PLC photo boost strips so I can easily wired them all in series together instead of sets of series/parallel wiring and I can follow the PLC YouTube video step by step still since I’m a newb at LED builds. Atleast that’s what I was told… nice choice if your making a flower supplemental fixture.
2D3742CA 080A 4FC4 B755 786452AA736D
B411360D 6250 4F0B B9D2 C8236203955A

You are going to get a lot of opinions as this is a polarized topic. I decided on LED vs HPS because of the tradeoff. If electricity was free I would go HPS but since its not I went with LED. I did a lot of research before I bought a light and decided on the Gavita 1700e. I couldn't be happier.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Already stated it.. same boards, same diodes, same driver.. what else is there that can differ? basically same umols too. but for half the price, thats why stay far away from hlg.
I'd really like to see the said lights tested by this guy: https://ppfdcharts.com/
I tend to doubt they will stand up even the SFs didn't (though only the 1000 is listed, he did test the 4000).

SSgrower

SSgrower

Rail style LED's are the future and I misspoke about UV as I wanted to say or write IR, my Viparspectra 450 w have 4 IR diodes each, carry on I want a better light soon.

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

The other factor as we know even the best product can go bad. Maybe a manufacturers defect or what ever. These lights aren't cheap so if they went bad would the seller fix it for you? Suppose a few weeks into using it the driver takes a dump. Drivers aren't cheap for these big lights, you call or email the seller and they hem and haw. If you don't have a another light to stick on your plants your going to lose the grow. Some of these people put all kinds of glowing stuff on their website about how they promise to take care of issues, but will they? I've had one screw me on a couple $20 fans, I would not buy a $1000 light from people like that.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I opted for the red booster that has less diodes but has the same specs as my PLC photo boost strips so I can easily wired them all in series together instead of sets of series/parallel wiring and I can follow the PLC YouTube video step by step still since I’m a newb at LED builds. Atleast that’s what I was told… nice choice if your making a flower supplemental fixture. View attachment 1155713View attachment 1155714
Yes, I want to add more red, IR and my E720 doesn't have any UV. I've got 3 burple 4' T8 style LEDs providing that extra color now but, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the strips would be an upgrade over what I've been using.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@Backyard_Boogie if you're still looking for lighting, Grow Generation in my area is having a sale on lighting. They might be doing that in your area too:

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

@Backyard_Boogie if you're still looking for lighting, Grow Generation in my area is having a sale on lighting. They might be doing that in your area too:

Thanks man I appreciate that. I actually purchased the Scorpion Diablo board its incredible. Im on my second run right now. It makes nugs so dense you could shoot them in a slighshot and break a window. Epic flower! This was from my first run Lemon Wookie Glue...

IMG 3143

Jaycewin

Jaycewin

I've got some HLG and Timber Led grow lights for sale in Sacramento if you or anyone wants. As well as 5-6 800w equivalent led qb lights.
Going to get rid of them quickly so first come first serve.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
the lights all work, the diodes are all about the same. brand wise people picked samsung, but many are as good and some better. the driver is worth note, it is among the better ones, but again, others are as good and there are better.

my opinion is the control is where the money should go.

since it is diodes, you can control each individually. you could do so much more with a system that could dim or brighten any spot, or section as needed. set up some array tracing and some radar and you could almost automatically have the right light at the right time in the right amount, you could set a daily allowance and adjust for best penetration. no reason it cant all work with integrated sensors and plotting software add in lidar and omg youd have a set up!

it seems simple electronically. ive seen one company doing it.

no matter how good the light is, with control you can make it much much better. and when you start doing that you will see the reason i like the driver and say the diodes are all about the same!

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

the lights all work, the diodes are all about the same. brand wise people picked samsung, but many are as good and some better. the driver is worth note, it is among the better ones, but again, others are as good and there are better.

my opinion is the control is where the money should go.

since it is diodes, you can control each individually. you could do so much more with a system that could dim or brighten any spot, or section as needed. set up some array tracing and some radar and you could almost automatically have the right light at the right time in the right amount, you could set a daily allowance and adjust for best penetration. no reason it cant all work with integrated sensors and plotting software add in lidar and omg youd have a set up!

it seems simple electronically. ive seen one company doing it.

no matter how good the light is, with control you can make it much much better. and when you start doing that you will see the reason i like the driver and say the diodes are all about the same!
So what are your thoughts on the rayonled 720 UV or the california lightworks solar extreme 1100uvb?

Top Bottom