Best Top of The Line LED For 4x4 or 5x5?

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Hi Everyone,

My wife is letting me get a bigger tent in the garage and I will likely be doing either a 4x4 or 5x5. Up until now my indoor grows have been done in a 2x4 and a 2x2. Got blurple LEDs in one and a little spider farmer LED in the other. I have been able to grow small quality plants in both of them with good success but I feel like its time to really step up my game. I want a rig that can put out the top shelf fire. Who has the absolute best LED light for a tent this size? Money is not of too much concern within reason. Im willing to drop over a grand on a light if its good enough. What do you guys think? I was leaning towards one of these two so far but Im sure someone on this forum has got other opinions.

1) Optic LED Slim 600H (has both red and blue)
Opticled

Best top of the line led for 4x4 or 5x5 2

2) Horticulture Lighting Group HLG Scorpion Diablo
Best top of the line led for 4x4 or 5x5 3

Osogreen261

Osogreen261

Just out of 36 hrs dark under the Scorpion an I must say I'm impressed its 24 inches from canopy an no ac in Norco calif running 80 deg. When flowers set I will start the co2 with it.
In veg was awsome.

20201130 094627
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

OK cool well at least I know Im on the right track lol. I saw a review on the Scorpion Diablo and that thing looks to be insane powerful you can catch a sunburn under that dam thing 😎 . The main reason why I was considering the 600H is because of the spread out and even light distribution. The meter stays super even which I was thinking would be beneficial in a sea of green or other grown situations. Get dense nug all the way out even right on the edges of the tent. Scorpion Diablo is more powerful in the center no question. Maybe even too powerful some strains may need it dimmed and raised more than others. I would rather have too much power with the ability to dial it back, that seems to be the best option.

sshz

sshz

You need to seriously consider the Gavita 1700e's.......... but whatever you buy, make sure they are waterproof, are dimmable in some fashion, have a 5 year warranty, have internal hooks to hang and you have a plan to add some UVB the last few weeks of flowering to increase resin. The below pic
IMG 0198
is the LED in a 4 X 4 area.........

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
You need to seriously consider the Gavita 1700e's.......... but whatever you buy, make sure they are waterproof, are dimmable in some fashion, have a 5 year warranty, have internal hooks to hang and you have a plan to add some UVB the last few weeks of flowering to increase resin. The below pic View attachment 1062827is the LED in a 4 X 4 area.........
+1
Fork up the cash and you’ll be the best on the block hahahahha.. there’s no doubt about that. Sshz knows his shit.

sshz

sshz

Read thru my Orange Gasm thread and look at some of the videos....... others would disagree.

sshz

sshz

Actually, when you read them the chart- you are only getting one measure, which is Par output per Dollar. That was their aim, and you have the results. But much more is missing, like is the LED cooled by passive means or heatsinks, is it a large or smaller unit for proper coverage, what’s the complete spectrum, what quality diodes are used, warranty, waterproof, quality of build, etc.

Go just off the chart, I guarantee you will be disappointed in the long run. I’m not trying to tell you to buy one over the other- you just need to be better informed on all the variables to make the best decision.

Go to post #996 in my Sweet Zombie thread, and watch both videos posted. That’s the beginning of your journey, but YouTube has numerous comparisons of many of the led’s, and that’s where I would head next after the videos.

I bought two gavita’s and it cost me nearly $3000, which was crazy IMO.......but I made it all back and more in just one grow.

Last edited:
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Actually, when you read them the chart- you are only getting one measure, which is Par output per Dollar. That was their aim, and you have the results. But much more is missing, like is the LED cooled by passive means or heatsinks, is it a large or smaller unit for proper coverage, what’s the complete spectrum, what quality diodes are used, warranty, waterproof, etc., etc.

Go just off the chart, I guarantee you will be disappointed in the long run. I’m not trying to tell you to buy one over the other- you just need to be better informed on all the variables to make the best decision.
Yeah the thing with buying LEDs is its sooooooo easy for the manufacturers to play with the charts and the numbers to manipulate people. Im not saying the LightGeek company is illegitimate that I do not know yet because I haven't researched them, they very well could be the real deal. Many other company's I have come across (especially on Amazon/Ebay) will put up a bunch of fancy charts with colors showing light spread. Some use Lux, some use PAR, some use micro Jules ratings. So many ways to measure light that it seems like no matter how shitty a light is a marketing guy can configure the charts in a way to make it "appear" to be great but then they are just mediocre. This has happened to me before especially when purchasing smaller LEDs. I want to purchase something that is absolutely tried and trued with no gimmicks and a 100% guarantee its gonna be flame. Im leaning towards either Scorpion Diablo or Gavita. Gonna check out a few more reviews.

tabf.cutty

tabf.cutty

i am currently using the slim 600h and i cannot complain at all. ive been able to avg about 12zips for every 3 plants.

Anthem

Anthem

Yeah the thing with buying LEDs is its sooooooo easy for the manufacturers to play with the charts and the numbers to manipulate people. Im not saying the LightGeek company is illegitimate that I do not know yet because I haven't researched them, they very well could be the real deal. Many other company's I have come across (especially on Amazon/Ebay) will put up a bunch of fancy charts with colors showing light spread. Some use Lux, some use PAR, some use micro Jules ratings. So many ways to measure light that it seems like no matter how shitty a light is a marketing guy can configure the charts in a way to make it "appear" to be great but then they are just mediocre. This has happened to me before especially when purchasing smaller LEDs. I want to purchase something that is absolutely tried and trued with no gimmicks and a 100% guarantee its gonna be flame. Im leaning towards either Scorpion Diablo or Gavita. Gonna check out a few more reviews.
Both of those are excellent lights, the HLG is better IMO. If you take a look at both of these companies there list Umol's. This is the best present way to measure the overall effective use of the light. The Gavita is putting out about 1700 Umols per second and the HLG is putting out 1900 Umols per second. So the HLG is overall a better grow light in that area. The other thing to take into consideration is spectrum which you can drive yourself crazy with this stuff. IMO it would be best to just pick one. Also you should consider your grow environment with lights this powerful. Temperature, humidity and CO2 all need to be taken into account with such lights.

cottageman

cottageman

Don’t get the gavita it’s way too expensive for what it is. I have one, subpar build quality compared to other top of the line brands. Scynce led probably has the best fixtures on the market right now and I’d say hlg is second. Scynce optics alone make it better than other options and the full spectrum control they have is amazing. It’s been proven that lenses on led lights help the light penetrate better than your standard bar led light with no lenses. Plus the spread on their new fixtures is some of the best par numbers I’ve seen. Hlg is always a great choice as well especially with their new line. I have luxx led’s in my new flowering room and they’re doing great but I think hlg and scynce are a tad better for the same prices

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

As it sits right now the gavita 1700e or the scorpion diablo... both 5x5.

The scorpion diablo is about 10% more efficient than any other light on the market. I would say the gavita can be run closer and a slightly better spread. Both do extremely well at 12-24" above canopy and both will perform even better under co2.

The HLG comes with a dimmer and needs nothing else added.

The gavita will need a controller to dim.

You can't go wrong with either of those.

The gavita will keep plants a tad more squat than the HLG because of the spectral difference.

Both are amazing lights compared to anything else.

cottageman

cottageman

As it sits right now the gavita 1700e or the scorpion diablo... both 5x5.

The scorpion diablo is about 10% more efficient than any other light on the market. I would say the gavita can be run closer and a slightly better spread. Both do extremely well at 12-24" above canopy and both will perform even better under co2.

The HLG comes with a dimmer and needs nothing else added.

The gavita will need a controller to dim.

You can't go wrong with either of those.

The gavita will keep plants a tad more squat than the HLG because of the spectral difference.

Both are amazing lights compared to anything else.
Tha gavita is not top of the line. It’s good but not great. Bad build quality, it has a bad par spread as well. The luxx led has the same par spread and it only has 6 bars and costs like $200 less. Hlg and scynce are definitely the top. I don’t think anyone can compete with scynce and their lenses/spectrum control. I had to replace my gavita 3 times out of the box because they were broke out of the gate

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also price per watt is something to take with a grain of salt.... thisbis largely affected by spectral quality.... IR, UV and other diodes are far less efficient but absolutely make an improvement to the grow.... gavita has thier spectral shit dialed in well as does HLG.

Anyone can make a light high in efficient diode spectrums and toss it up cheap as these diodes are more common and cheaper because they are so widely used.. price per watt is one thing.... but that doesn't say shot about the spectral quality of the light.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Tha gavita is not top of the line. It’s good but not great. Bad build quality, it has a bad par spread as well. The luxx led has the same par spread and it only has 6 bars and costs like $200 less. Hlg and scynce are definitely the top. I don’t think anyone can compete with scynce and their lenses/spectrum control. I had to replace my gavita 3 times out of the box because they were broke out of the gate
Read my last post you couldn't be more wrong

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Which gavita? And you do realize lens reduce UV and overall efficacy right?

Your saying less bars and better spread? I call bullshit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom