Best Top of The Line LED For 4x4 or 5x5?

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

wouldnt posting comparison charts and specs to compare and a discussion of pros and cons be a lot more helpful to the op who just wants to know which is the best light for them?

I want to know why timber’s new strip light is not mentioned and how it is so much less expensive?

Here are links to both. Obviously we will be discussing the 8. But i am interested in A pair of 6’s. Best tool for the job i need not the biggest lamp neccessarily.

Thanks in advance.

beluga

beluga

wouldnt posting comparison charts and specs to compare and a discussion of pros and cons be a lot more helpful to the op who just wants to know which is the best light for them?

I want to know why timber’s new strip light is not mentioned and how it is so much less expensive?

Here are links to both. Obviously we will be discussing the 8. But i am interested in A pair of 6’s. Best tool for the job i need not the biggest lamp neccessarily.

Thanks in advance.
You know how readily these things deviate.
Once someone gives the slightest mention of, "well...this is actually what makes lamps good or not", it all goes tits up.

But are you asking difference between those two, or why they're cheaper than competitors?

Right off the bat, I'm not seeing mention of any deep spectrums... that alone could be a deal breaker for many consumers if they were priced similarly.
Between the two, wattage/ppfd.

I'm a little surprised they don't list their strips... that could probably shed some light (🤭) on the price, too.
Timber's always seemed super reasonable and like they care about doing good business and having transparency.
After building one... I'm honestly a little stumped on why either of those would even be that expensive. Their COBs were like... very marginally higher-priced than building your own.

greatbayorganics

greatbayorganics

Hi Everyone,

My wife is letting me get a bigger tent in the garage and I will likely be doing either a 4x4 or 5x5. Up until now my indoor grows have been done in a 2x4 and a 2x2. Got blurple LEDs in one and a little spider farmer LED in the other. I have been able to grow small quality plants in both of them with good success but I feel like its time to really step up my game. I want a rig that can put out the top shelf fire. Who has the absolute best LED light for a tent this size? Money is not of too much concern within reason. Im willing to drop over a grand on a light if its good enough. What do you guys think? I was leaning towards one of these two so far but Im sure someone on this forum has got other opinions.

1) Optic LED Slim 600H (has both red and blue)
View attachment 1062700
View attachment 1062701

2) Horticulture Lighting Group HLG Scorpion Diablo
View attachment 1062702
I have a Growers Choice ROI 680e that is pretty killer. Have a growmie who has a California systems with the UVB bar that swears by it. I’m growing a mix of CBD plants that aren’t as big a fan of the extra UV. Also heard the Synces are quality

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You know how readily these things deviate.
Once someone gives the slightest mention of, "well...this is actually what makes lamps good or not", it all goes tits up.

But are you asking difference between those two, or why they're cheaper than competitors?

Right off the bat, I'm not seeing mention of any deep spectrums... that alone could be a deal breaker for many consumers if they were priced similarly.
Between the two, wattage/ppfd.

I'm a little surprised they don't list their strips... that could probably shed some light (🤭) on the price, too.
Timber's always seemed super reasonable and like they care about doing good business and having transparency.
After building one... I'm honestly a little stumped on why either of those would even be that expensive. Their COBs were like... very marginally higher-priced than building your own.

not compare to each other. To the others on the market. But now i see no far red.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

You need to seriously consider the Gavita 1700e's.......... but whatever you buy, make sure they are waterproof, are dimmable in some fashion, have a 5 year warranty, have internal hooks to hang and you have a plan to add some UVB the last few weeks of flowering to increase resin. The below pic View attachment 1062827is the LED in a 4 X 4 area.........

Might be a good lamp but what parent company owns Gavita?? No thank you.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Wow we got into splitting hairs here. I run COBs 1750 and 3K mix and also HLG boards with far red with and without lens. They all work great. They are all efficient. They all grow fire.

I'm betting grower skill has more to do with a better harvest than any of the lights in question.

For me it gets down to the companies that are selling the lights and how is customer service and what the story is when there's problems or how long do the lights last under greenhouse conditions.

Anyone that runs FAR RED will know that the plants will grow taller generally. Mine routinely grow into the lamp fixtures and by INTO I'm talking burn the tops of into the lamps (super cropping the super cropped tops is a thing).

honestly I dont see a difference or much difference with lenses or without. I run the same lamp with and another without side by side. I feel less worry when doing an IPM around the lamps with lenses so there's that to consider not just all about light output.

Probably the most influential part of lamp purchase is price. I'm gonna get my money back the first round so you wood think I wouldn't care but at the time of purchase, its about the only thing I'm thinking about. The lamps in question are all good lamps.

Personally I will NEVER purchase any product sold by Scotts/ Monsanto and Gavita is wholely owned by Scotts/Monsanto so there's that to think about.

We dont want these companies in the cannabis industry. All you gotta do is look what they've done with "conventional" farming ffs. Glyphosate. Fucking farmers forgot how to grow crops without GMO seed and round-up. Then look at the health of our society since round-up came to market. Please consider this when making your purchases.

beluga

beluga

you going to start selling lamps?
Hah.. I doubt it.
I mean... you think it could go over well?
Mine look like a prototype of those Timber's... but black! And with a whale on them 😎.
dsc_1847-jpg.1060666

Maybe once I get my IR incorporated I'll hand a few out to some of you veterans and see how you like 'em?

Shipping would be a little nuts. They're probably a good 30lb.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hah.. I doubt it.
I mean... you think it could go over well?
Mine look like a prototype of those Timber's... but black! And with a whale on them 😎.
dsc_1847-jpg.1060666

Maybe once I get my IR incorporated I'll hand a few out to some of you veterans and see how you like 'em?

Shipping would be a little nuts. They're probably a good 30lb.

i like whales. :-)

And either make them in 2 parts with easy assembly or folding like some companies for cheaper shipping.

and maybe offer a tiger or bear for the land locked. ;-)

beluga

beluga

i like whales. :-)

And either make them in 2 parts with easy assembly or folding like some companies for cheaper shipping.

and maybe offer a tiger or bear for the land locked. ;-)
Ooh... that's a good marketing ploy.
Whale for hydro.
Tiger for soilless mix.
Bear for organics (at a premium 🤣)

Might actually give this some consideration.
I think people like transparency and are okay with paying artisans to do something that they could do themselves with the same components but don't want to/can't for whatever reason.

cottageman

cottageman

You say literally way too much. Your articles are bullshit. I wish I was selling something. I’d have your money in my damn pockets. Peace.
please tell me hoe the scientific studies i linked are bullshit? they are done by Bruce Bugbee who we all listen to when it comes to led lights

cottageman

cottageman

I understand what the article is saying. I don't have a doctorate in crop physiology nor electrical engineering, but I don't think I'm dense to the theory nor the verbiage.

What I was really wondering about and explicitly inquired about was...

Those fixtures you mention.

I, too, am not here to argue what that study says nor our interpretation of it.

So you're saying that the PC boards and drivers test 10-20% lower temperatures?
If so, I will argue that that is minimally relevant to the heat issues that I was posing as a concern. Heat sinks and active cooling also can decrease those temperatures, but their effect on the diodes within a lens will be of very little comparative impact.
you can go look on their ig space on specgradeled. the entire fixture runs cooler, even the diodes, the majority of heat gets dissipated from heatsinks so making thicker and wider heatsinks help eliminate the heat problem since the majority of heat from a led fixture is not getting pushed onto the canopy. the diodes do not get hotter than without a lense, there's multiple companies that have set ups like this, agnetix does it as well as specgradeled and scynce it's not just one company. Also all the talk about light loss, the specgrade light puts out 1700umol I am pretty sure and the scynce puts out 1630umol. You are losing 70 umols of light output with one of these lenses yet the lights(specgrade and scynce) have a better light spread than Gavita so I would say the proof is in these fixtures unless these companies ae lying about their light results. All I said was Ithink scynce is edging out other companies with their spectrum ocntrol and cool lenses and it started an all out war which is why I simply linked the scientific study that backed up what I said and I got called a noob that does not know how to grow and a paid shill(not by you).

cottageman

cottageman

Wow we got into splitting hairs here. I run COBs 1750 and 3K mix and also HLG boards with far red with and without lens. They all work great. They are all efficient. They all grow fire.

I'm betting grower skill has more to do with a better harvest than any of the lights in question.

For me it gets down to the companies that are selling the lights and how is customer service and what the story is when there's problems or how long do the lights last under greenhouse conditions.

Anyone that runs FAR RED will know that the plants will grow taller generally. Mine routinely grow into the lamp fixtures and by INTO I'm talking burn the tops of into the lamps (super cropping the super cropped tops is a thing).

honestly I dont see a difference or much difference with lenses or without. I run the same lamp with and another without side by side. I feel less worry when doing an IPM around the lamps with lenses so there's that to consider not just all about light output.

Probably the most influential part of lamp purchase is price. I'm gonna get my money back the first round so you wood think I wouldn't care but at the time of purchase, its about the only thing I'm thinking about. The lamps in question are all good lamps.

Personally I will NEVER purchase any product sold by Scotts/ Monsanto and Gavita is wholely owned by Scotts/Monsanto so there's that to think about.

We dont want these companies in the cannabis industry. All you gotta do is look what they've done with "conventional" farming ffs. Glyphosate. Fucking farmers forgot how to grow crops without GMO seed and round-up. Then look at the health of our society since round-up came to market. Please consider this when making your purchases.
This is one of the main reason I went wtih luxx lighting led's in my new room. Bought a Gavita led and it yields well and pulls good quality but I do not like supporting scott's in anyway plus the build quality was shit, had to send my gavita back 4 times because they were broken out of the box. Ended up ordering 15 luxx led's and the build quality was light years ahead. they were also $300 cheaper than gavita PER FIXTURE and has the same light spread. They also came with hangers and a balancer which is small but helps. Growers choice new fixture is amazing (the roi720 or something like that) and timber's new lights are extremelywell priced as well I was actually pretty impressed with their new light

MonkeyGirl

MonkeyGirl

This is one of the main reason I went wtih luxx lighting led's in my new room. Bought a Gavita led and it yields well and pulls good quality but I do not like supporting scott's in anyway plus the build quality was shit, had to send my gavita back 4 times because they were broken out of the box. Ended up ordering 15 luxx led's and the build quality was light years ahead. they were also $300 cheaper than gavita PER FIXTURE and has the same light spread. They also came with hangers and a balancer which is small but helps. Growers choice new fixture is amazing (the roi720 or something like that) and timber's new lights are extremelywell priced as well I was actually pretty impressed with their new light
Hey I went back and reread this thread because it gets pretty technical, I wanted to understand what (YOU) you’ve been saying for real and wow some knives were being thrown No Shit
But No One is Mentioning these Next!ight leds - any opinion ANYONE ?what’s up with them?
No I don‘t know who owns them as of this moment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom