Best way to keep moms

• Thread starter Sirius
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sirius

Soilless? DWC? Hydroton flood/drain? Please help I got some new girls that im in love with and want to keep them around for awhile... :mmm

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
None of the above there Sirius:) If I was you I would use a 50/50 ratio of, 1/2 Sunshine Mix#4 and 1/2 Black Gold potting soil. Roots Organic potting soil aint to shabby either. Mix em up and plant right to a 5 gal bucket.. You'll be golden:)
:passingjoint:

GTD

S

Sirius

how long do your moms last? and how big do you get them? i just seem to run into problems after around 9 months in soil.. perhaps its my cutting technique?

S

Sirius

right now i have 2 of each strain in both soil and rockwool 3" cubes

S

smellychronic

i used to keep my mothers in a 5 gallon DWC, but i ran out of room. I keep them LST'd in soil.

Z

zoeronerer

friends in humbolt fill up the spare bathtub with loose rockwool and make sure it dosent clog....they veg on the counter and water by hang the overflow spills onto the mother. one i viewed was three years old and had a 5" stalk. i have a 5 year old mother in a 55 gallon trash can in a room with 15' ceiling under one of those old umbrellas with a simple drip system in coco and vermic chunky and a few others that are 2 and 3 years old...........i feel like as long as the plant retains its vigor and you dont stress the plants dna they can do well for a long time if things are even.......others may not agree with me but it depends on variety.....and how much space u have seems like pure sativas can be kept up better than indica.

i say 15 gallon pots minimum use a loose mix dont keep em too wet or dry and add some guano and str8 water on a regular basis........keep an eye on the roots.

love them.

M

MediVapeMan

I keep my moms in 3 to 5 gallon Hempy Buckets filled w/3 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite. They love it. No bugs, like in soil, and I only have to water about once a week during the winter and twice a week in the summer.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Has anyone read the new Skunk magazine for this month? Has an article on keeping your mommas and what to feed them. Seems a bit much for just a longer veg time.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
What do you guys/gals use for your mom formula for feeding?

P

Pistil Pete

What do you guys/gals use for your mom formula for feeding?

Normally, i use Alaska 2-1-2 once a week and Cal/Mag when they need it. I can't seem to find the 2-1-2 anymore so i've been trying out the 5-1-1.

Alaska 5-1-1 once every 18-21 days (or when they look like they need a boost - whichever comes first)
Cal/Mag when they need it.

I take cuts every 10 days whether i'm going to use them or not and trim down the root mass when it starts to look crowded in the pot.

My soil for moms is FFOF with 40-50% perlite

R

randalika

iam running all my mums in biobizz all-mix. feeded with hesi tnt-complex once or twice a week, depends on how much i want to push the mums. always try to keep the feeding to a minimum.
also i cut the rootbales 1-2times a year to about 60-70%, this is important cause elsewise the mums could shrink or loose quality delivering healthy cuts over a specific time period.
well sometimes iam too lazy for that :D so i sent the mums into flower and keep the 2 best cuts from the last time when i took cuts.

greetings,randa

M

MediVapeMan

I only take cuttings every 6 weeks. So I just use about 1/2 the dose they recommend for week 1 veg (3ml/gl). I use plain water every 3rd or 4th time I feed and flush with clearex about once a month. I use H&G Aqua Flakes A/B as my base nute for all my plants (Hempy/DWC/Aeroflo). It is specially designed for recirculating hydro systems that have drip lines that can clog, so it is very low in salt = no nutrient lock out issues.

I get tired of growing and smoking the same strains for too long so most of my moms get flowered, traded or sold after about 9 months to a year of service.

R

robbiedublu

I keep mine in 3 gal square pots with ffof or equivalent. Every 6 months to a year or so I dump them out of the pots, trim off about half of the root mass and repot in fresh soil.. I keep them trimmed down whether I actually need any clones or not. They never get more than 12-18" tall.

M

Mr. Whipple

How about the light cycle ?

Yeah, what about the light cycle ? lol

Thanks guys

Whip

R

randalika

lightcycle?
hm if i reckon that right iam running my mums with straight 18/6. well there's few strains/pheno's who're getting preflowering after few weeks like chronic, but actually i dont have anything like that. :)

F

fiyahman

I just bonsai and cut the roots when I feel they are getting too large. I've kept the same mom for almost two years.

Top Bottom