Best way to pop seeds?

• Thread starter 25hewitt17
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fangthane

Fangthane

I have no idea what's best, but the way I do it works out very well for me. I soak them in a cup of water for around 18 hours, then keep them on damp paper towels for the next day or so, until the taproot comes out a good 1/4". Once the taproot is prominent, I put them in soil. Pretty simple.

25hewitt17

25hewitt17

What happens when the tap root come right out of the shell

Fangthane

Fangthane

When the taproot comes out a decent length, that's when you put it in whatever medium you're going to use.

If they don't pop, some people have had luck with lightly scuffing up the seeds with sandpaper, then soaking longer. There are other methods that others use, that I don't know of yet. Sometimes, the seeds are just duds and there's nothing you can do.

25hewitt17

25hewitt17

If the little white root pop's away from the seed and is floating in the water and the seed shell is broke open with nothing in it

Fangthane

Fangthane

I've never had a seed actually put out a taproot while I was soaking. How long did you have them standing water? The little root and whatever is attached to it are the important parts. You can try putting it in soil, but I wonder if maybe you didn't drown it.

25hewitt17

25hewitt17

Yeah I tried to put it in the soil and nothing came up and I tried to lie see if I can find it in the soil and I can't even find it

25hewitt17

25hewitt17

Once you put it in the paper towel where do you put it like in the dark or do you could you just leave it out?

Fangthane

Fangthane

It's not a complicated process; it's actually kinda hard to screw up. You may be overthinking it. Once the seeds go on paper towel, I generally just leave them sitting out in my room.

Here's my super-secret seed germination prototype. Maybe it'll help you. It's pretty easy to make. All you need is a paper towel, styrofoam plate and a small butter container. Cut a slice in the middle of the plate, fold the paper towel over and run it down into the dish underneath. As long as you have water in there, it'll keep the paper towel properly saturated. After my 18 hour soak, the seeds go on the paper towel until the taproot comes out.

20190824 170240
20190824 170230

Freshman Biology FTW!

koolhut

koolhut

I throw beans straight into GH rooters until roots start to poke out the sides then I transplant.

koolhut

koolhut

Once you put it in the paper towel where do you put it like in the dark or do you could you just leave it out?
I like to put the paper towel in a sand which bag and place it in a dark and warm area. Preferably on top of a cable box or modem box or behind a tv that is on frequently.

Fangthane

Fangthane

Should a 400w led be good for 4 to 6 plants?
Depends on a bunch of factors: How big is your grow area? How much wattage is the light actually using? Autos or photos? Your area have reflective walls? etc.

tall boys

tall boys

I take a NyQuil cup and wet a piece of paper towel .
I put the wet paper towel in the NyQuil .
I put the seed in and cover it with plastic wrap .

Now I put it under a light and watch it start to sweat .
Once the seed pops, I fill a solo cup with potting soil .

Here's the tricky part .
Make sure you only plant the root, in the soil .
The seed should be sticking out the top of the soil .
Don't plant the seed under the soil .

I've never had any issues, with this way ....

Top Bottom